Best Headphones for Hi-MD player
Aug 2, 2004 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jono89

New Head-Fier
G'day from down under..... I am thinking about getting the new NH - Z1 sony Hi-MD player and i was just wondering what would be a good pair of headphones for it. I would mostly use it on public transport and walking around the city so they cannot be to bulky but i dont want some new fad with **** sound............so what would be some good headphones? My dad is just saying get some Senn X800's or whatever they are but i find i need something more compact

cheers

Jono

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 16
Let's get the obvious out of the way, and those that I tried with my MZ-NH600D: All funds in USD.

Koss Porta Pro / 2 - I didn't think they were that mindblowing, even for a $40 phone. You might dig them, and they get very portable. $40USD.

Senn PX100/200 - Former's open, latter is closed. Very good for money and very portable. I'd recommend this with very small reservation. $50USD at your local HiFi store. There is a Noise Cancelling version of these, the PX250 at $150, but I don't believe they are well liked here. Your father/dad/pops is probably thinking of these undoubtly. I'd take these over the Porta Pros any day of the week.

Sony EX71 in canal phones. More than half the folks here hate them, but they never bothered to burn them in. I'll take these over Porta Pros any day of the week.

Shure E2c, E3c, ETY ER6s. ER4s are all IEMs, they block out tons of noise and offer better sound and clarity at higher prices. Unless you have small ears like I do, you might do well to start with Shure E2s or ER-6s and start from there. Starts from $100 (or lower) and up. For the record, I have Shure E3 and they are quite efficient. Same thing for the E2. Less Bass, more Vocals than other phones here. E2s though have more bass than E3s.

Getting not as portable are other phones, the MDR-V6 (NOT V600!!! They are the SPAWN Of SATAN!) offers good isolation and sound for the money, $60-80 these days. I think the reaction on these are split like the EX71s, and out of the box, they sound similarly screechy and harsh. They need burn in as well.

I'm sure there will be offers of Grados, Audio Technicas, and what not. Again, these all I've tried with my 600D unit, and with probable exception of MDR-V6, your MZNH1, if and when it arrives, should drive them easily.

Aug 2, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 16
i may sound like a noob (and thats because i am) half of the stuff you just said makes no sense to me.............im new to the whole headphone thing
frown.gif

after what you said i think i will be going with 1 of the Senns seing that my dad can get them virtually free
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 16
Hello. I have Sony MZ-RH1 and now I want to buy new cans. After long and deep exploration of multiple threads I decided to get Audio-Technica ATH A900. For this I have a question - will they be loud enough with RH1? Too low RH1's power output really worries me - only 5 mw at channel @ 16 Ohm. Anyway, my old Sennheiser HD 212 Pro were pretty loud, but comparing them to A900 won't be correct.
Oh, and there's one more question. In case of listening to compressed music is there a sense to take exactly A900? Or maybe A700 will be just great enough?
Thanks in advance

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 16
You will have trouble driving the AT with the RH1, as I found out from personal experiences. I wouldn't recommend pairing any full sized cans with the RH1.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 16
2deadeyes is completely right, due to limited power, the best choice would be to pair RH1 with a set of good IEMs. give us your budget, and describe your music and type of sound preferences so we could throw some propositions here...

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 16
So you're opting towards headphones instead of IEMs? If that's the case, I'd look into ATH-ES7 & Sennheiser HD-25. Just to clarify, IEMs CAN have good, solid and powerful bass.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 16
2deadeyes
ATH-ES7 are very good judging by owners' reviews, but they have thick dualside-connected cable
frown.gif

Sennheiser HD-25 seem to be not bad, but they are more expensive.
Could you describe and compare these headphones to each other?

About IEM's - I'm glad to be wrong about their bass, but really don't want to own such
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 16
Maddox, thats okay (iems)... bear in mind however that considering MZ-RH1 and its limited power your first question before thinking how do theese earphones sound, should rather be... can this player drive this headphones. If the answer is yes, then you can proceed further
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 16
kichu1979
smily_headphones1.gif
Surely I'm thinking about loudness before anything else. As 2deadeyes wrote, ATH-ES7 & Sennheiser HD-25 have to be loud enough with RH-1. And which ones would you recommend?
Shibany69
Well, it's incredibly hard to find 'em in Russia, I'm not telling even about Ukraine. How are they comparatively to ATH-ES7 or Senn HD-25?

In my situation the most important is that I have no possibility to listen and then choose exactly what I'd like. There's only such possibility - you order headphones in e-store, then courier brings 'em to you and if you unpack the box, you have to pay for headphones. It doesn't matter, like you them or not, they belong to you
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #14 of 16
A second vote for the D66's, are they still around anywhere? They are the most ideal MiniDisc over-the-head cans ever made.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jono89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G'day from down under..... I am thinking about getting the new NH - Z1 sony Hi-MD player and i was just wondering what would be a good pair of headphones for it. I would mostly use it on public transport and walking around the city so they cannot be to bulky but i dont want some new fad with **** sound............so what would be some good headphones? My dad is just saying get some Senn X800's or whatever they are but i find i need something more compact

cheers
Jono

I think Westone UM2s and Sony gear are a perfect match. The UM2s sound fabulous, and are v. comfortable & stealthy. Their cable s/b the industry standard. Perfect seal is achieved by the right tips. Only stumble might be their price: $300USD stock, with discounts on ebay and elswhere. Good luck.
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back