Best headphones for FPS gaming
Nov 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

OpenFerret

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently using a Sound Blaster ZxR with a pair of modded Sennheiser HD558's.  I want to upgrade to some headphones that will provide the best possible experience and advantage when playing FPS games competitively.  My budget is around £300.  Can anyone recommend the best that I can get for that price and explain why?

Many thanks,

Rob

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 7
This thread is pretty much always on the front page, did you even look? haha

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

I like the AKG Q701s and the Philips X1s, but these are open headphones and if you play competitively I guess you go lans so their no good.  I'm not sure what game you play that you think a pair of headphones is going to give you a significant advantage?

Edit: My mistake the link is www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-8-11-2012-images-added

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 7
  This thread is pretty much always on the front page, did you even look? haha

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

I like the AKG Q701s and the Philips X1s, but these are open headphones and if you play competitively I guess you go lans so their no good.  I'm not sure what game you play that you think a pair of headphones is going to give you a significant advantage?

Edit: My mistake the link is www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-8-11-2012-images-added

Many thanks for the reply.  I play online, not lans as my rig is too heavy to transport.  I play BF3/4 and Arma 2/3 or related mods.  The only reason I'm looking for new headphones is the 558's are getting old and have been around the world with me, thus, they are starting to show some wear.

I will check out the link.  Cheers!

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 7
No worries, I can fully recommend the Philips X1s then, half your budget but are the most comfy headphones I've ever worn and after 15+ years of gaming (cs, bf2 etc) are a god send.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 7
  I'm currently using a Sound Blaster ZxR with a pair of modded Sennheiser HD558's.  I want to upgrade to some headphones that will provide the best possible experience and advantage when playing FPS games competitively.  My budget is around £300.  Can anyone recommend the best that I can get for that price and explain why?

Have you tried removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558?

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 7
  Have you tried removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558?

Hi dude,

Yes I have.  As I've said above, its just because they 558 could do with being replaced.  They've worked well for 3 years (or so) now and have been everywhere with me.  But now its time for something else.

I've been told the AKG K701's / Q701's / K702 [65th Anniversary] headphones have a fantastic soundstage and would be a marked improvement on what I've been used to.  My only query is would I need to use an external amp to drive these headphones or can the amp in the ZxR work just fine?

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 7

Hi dude,

Yes I have.  As I've said above, its just because they 558 could do with being replaced.  They've worked well for 3 years (or so) now and have been everywhere with me.  But now its time for something else.

I've been told the AKG K701's / Q701's / K702 [65th Anniversary] headphones have a fantastic soundstage and would be a marked improvement on what I've been used to.  My only query is would I need to use an external amp to drive these headphones or can the amp in the ZxR work just fine?

The headphone amplifier chip (TI 6120A2) on thr ZxR should easily drive the 62-Ohm AKG 7XX series headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back