Best headphones for electronic music
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #76 of 90
What'd you folks suggest for the more ambient end of the spectrum? <The Orb, FSOL>

Currently, I'm loving my 400i driven by a hybrid amp. Big open sound - the closest I've heard to "out of head". I do want to upgrade someday. Way back somebody mentioned the HEX v2 to me - discontinued now.

How about dynamic drivers? What would compete for that "out of head" presentation?

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #77 of 90
My getto setup in my work van. With
iPhone 11
iFi Zen DAC signature amp combo
Sony Z1R
Being I decided to electrical tape my Van setup to my laptop tray I guess I should construct something nicer.
PXL_20210923_154537375.jpg

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #78 of 90
What'd you folks suggest for the more ambient end of the spectrum? <The Orb, FSOL>

Currently, I'm loving my 400i driven by a hybrid amp. Big open sound - the closest I've heard to "out of head". I do want to upgrade someday. Way back somebody mentioned the HEX v2 to me - discontinued now.

How about dynamic drivers? What would compete for that "out of head" presentation?
We where talking about Th900 mk2 and Sony MDR Z1R, those are the cans to get for out of your head sound.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #80 of 90
The only genre I have ever listened to with headphones is EDM - House, Techno, Afrobeats, etc. I have been through a whole bunch of headphones over the years, some were hyped and expensive. Many were disappointing. I did own the Fostex TH900 MK1 for over a year and really enjoyed it. It is always a great choice for electronic music. My current favorite headphone is the Sundara on the iFi Pro iCan and iDSD with the Lokius for tweaks. I have never been so engaged with the music than I have been with this combo. I recently received the ZMF Verite Closed and they couldn't hold a candle to the Sundara. $2500 vs. $350. Mind boggling to me.

The imaging is stunning with this combo. Of course there are so many ways to adjust the sound between the iCan, iDSD and the Lokius. I do dial back the treble a bit and boost the bass. I find myself listening to songs I don't even like that much because the sound is so interesting. I have a Senn 820 coming today which has been recommended for EDM. We'll see how that goes.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #81 of 90
The only genre I have ever listened to with headphones is EDM - House, Techno, Afrobeats, etc. I have been through a whole bunch of headphones over the years, some were hyped and expensive. Many were disappointing. I did own the Fostex TH900 MK1 for over a year and really enjoyed it. It is always a great choice for electronic music. My current favorite headphone is the Sundara on the iFi Pro iCan and iDSD with the Lokius for tweaks. I have never been so engaged with the music than I have been with this combo. I recently received the ZMF Verite Closed and they couldn't hold a candle to the Sundara. $2500 vs. $350. Mind boggling to me.

The imaging is stunning with this combo. Of course there are so many ways to adjust the sound between the iCan, iDSD and the Lokius. I do dial back the treble a bit and boost the bass. I find myself listening to songs I don't even like that much because the sound is so interesting. I have a Senn 820 coming today which has been recommended for EDM. We'll see how that goes.
LOVE the xbass feature on the ican. Couldn’t live without it! I personally have found planar magnetic headphones to provide much more engaging and impactful bass than dynamics, across the board, so I’m not surprised by your impressions of the VC. My favorite hp for EDM is probably the HE-R10P, followed by the Meze Elite. The Audeze LCD-MX4 is another good option. I haven’t yet tried the Z1Rs, but I’ve heard nothing but good things, all consistent with @Bonddam ‘s description.

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #82 of 90
For two of your choices I love Fostex and Sony. Fostex is more fun the Sony is more general SQ. Tough choice if I put the 900 first or 2nd as it's holographic to what I would call more detailed Z1R. Bass seems better as there's subbass and midbass. Found fostex better at the subbass. Yeah Im in the middle of both. Denon units have not had the chance yet.
The TH900 Mk2 bears all the hallmarks of what I want to hear in a headphone (for EDM) - punchy, boosted bass with excellent sub-bass rumble, with an energetic, dynamic, and exciting sound. It's the perfect headphone for head bopping, IMO. :wink:

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #83 of 90
LOVE the xbass feature on the ican. Couldn’t live without it! I personally have found planar magnetic headphones to provide much more engaging and impactful bass than dynamics, across the board, so I’m not surprised by your impressions of the VC. My favorite hp for EDM is probably the HE-R10P, followed by the Meze Elite. The Audeze LCD-MX4 is another good option. I haven’t yet tried the Z1Rs, but I’ve heard nothing but good things, all consistent with @Bonddam ‘s description.
I will put all of those on my list to try. I did have the Z1Rs for about 6 months but sold them because I would find myself reaching for the T5Ps instead. However, I didn't have my current iFi system then, so maybe I need to give them another shot.

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #84 of 90
Really? I'd think being closed phones they'd pretty much fall flat on that front. I know my A2C don't exactly excel for ambient stuff
The Dan Clark headphones never did it for me. The fancy carbon fiber closed back had a strange tuning. I’d say very dry like a desert. The only planar magnetic is my Modhouse Argon 3 that I re-modded. My Bonddaboom Argon 3 isn’t faint for light hearted. They kick hard produce good mids and treble. The original Modehouse version they came in seem to only have mids. Only thing I kept was the clay even the closed vent is now ported and I used different acoustic materials. The pads are leather LCD pads. My goal was reach into 1266 territory. They aren’t smooth enough yet on bright side but omg the bass at of a tiny driver.
The Sony and Fostex are dynamic and don’t have issues also they are both ported. Sony the ports are on top and Th900 you can’t see. They are holographic headphones 900 more rich with V shape Sony more neutral with bass and nice mids and treble. The Sony maybe on the Harman curve because it’s definitely not for monitoring. I’m surprised it sounds so good being all plastic. I guess stronger material would cost more and too much weight. But it doesn’t sound like plastic.
image.jpg

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #86 of 90
Is DT 1990 pro a good choice for electronic music?
For my taste it did not deliver enough subbass… you might want to take a look at Beyer‘s new DT700 Pro X instead, that one surprised me with solid but not overblown bass. Plus I prefer closed back.

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #88 of 90
how they compare to the DT 770 80 omhs
To me the DT700 is even more comfortable, has maybe a bit smaller soundstage, doesn’t exhibit the slight sharpness in treble that the DT770 has and has better structured bass. The DT700 is easier to drive as well.

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #89 of 90
I have to agree on the DT700 Pro X. They are better than the 1990 for electronic and better than a lot of more expensive headphones as well. I wasn't impressed right out of the box so burned them for 3 days straight. I wasn't expecting much improvement but my jaw literally dropped when I heard the first song. The bass is so deep and full but doesn't impact the mids at all. Mids are forward and clear and the treble is sparkly without sibilance. Highly recommended!

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #90 of 90
...Electronic music... EDM... Synthpop... Ambient... FEY...

Audio Technica ATH-AD2000

The legend itself for this kind of music.
Remember to bring the Bass Boost into your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back