Best headphones for Electronic music?
Oct 9, 2006 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Pwntendo

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a really vibrant and uplifting sound.

Bright and wavy.

With a sharp, and not too strong bass.

I think the main thing they need to be is really engulfing, and surrounding, like the music is being played in your head.

Mainly for trance music, but also IDM. And softer Ambient.
lambda.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwntendo
like the music is being played in your head

IEMs. I use UM2s although they're a little dark, they're great fun. I've been addicted to house lately and I find they're great for it.

Oct 9, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Bright and wavy.

I think the main thing they need to be is really engulfing, and surrounding, like the music is being played in your head.

lambda.gif

I've been listening to a lot of AfroCelt Sound System through these (much discussed) IEMs, set to "high definition" on the little pod through a LD Micro+ and my 4gig Nano and was really impressed. You can certainly spend more, but these sound pretty great for this kind of music. Just a thought.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Bright and wavy.

lambda.gif

Vibrant and Uplifting can be found in abundance with Grado cans. For a start you could not go wrong with SR-80 or if you pocket allows SR225. I am using my Alessandro MS-1 for Electronica as much as for Rock. The openess of Grado and the dynamic sound experience makes up for lack of Soundstage. But if you are looking for "clubhouse" experience you could start with KOSS KSC-75 or PortaPro, with those slam and "in your face" effect you will end up dancing with the tunes
lambda.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Okay, I think I will go for the Grado SR80's because these will be like the first headphones I'll be buying, and they are cheap and good for 'beginners'.

Hopefully I will buy them tonight, they don't require an amp I presume?

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 19
I think the Grados are an excellent beginners purchase for this, though the king of electronic music - bright, fast, clear, defined, with precise instrument seperation, has to be the Sony MDR-SA5000. When the original poster mentioned "feeling like the music is being played in your head" - that's one impression the MDR-SA5000 certainly has for me.

The weaknesses of the MDR-SA5000, a glossing of inner detail, inaccuracy in the natural timbre of instruments (as some hear it), lack of hugely impactful bass, lack of warmth, fullness of sound, are generally not major issues in electronic music, at least as I enjoy that genre.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 19
You just described the Grado RS-1 to a T.

For a lower budget the SR255.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 19
I never considered Grados as an electronic can solution, but I guess a lot of synthpop would work the same way rock does with Grados (I will NOT impulse buy Alessandro ms2i's, I will NOT impulse buy Alessandro ms2i's...).

I will say I have been having a lot of fun listening to all sorts of synthpop with my K701 + Headfive combo. I just tweak my foobar eq to take the mids down just a tad, a gentle "u" shape across the span, and this really brings out solid, tight bass and marvelous, delicious highs with futurepop acts like VNV Nation.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 19
All the earphones I had delighted me in Electronic Music, the main genre I listen to.

With the Shure E3 I discovered "the mids". I still miss them.

With the UM2 the sound went huge and time by time they sound better and better... Its a year with them and steel I note some burning-ish or something., but they are improving.

This week I bought the famous PX-100 after reading such good things about them here, and I have to say they are very respectable in electronica, not in pop or rock.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
All the earphones I had delighted me in Electronic Music, the main genre I listen to.

With the Shure E3 I discovered "the mids". I still miss them.

With the UM2 the sound went huge and time by time they sound better and better... Its a year with them and steel I note some burning-ish or something., but they are improving.

This week I bought the famous PX-100 after reading such good things about them here, and I have to say they are very respectable in electronica, not in pop or rock.

^^^^Ditto PX-100 for inexpensive electronic/trance music.

Does anyone know of any mid to high-end cans that can do trance/female voices better?

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I think the Grados are an excellent beginners purchase for this, though the king of electronic music - bright, fast, clear, defined, with precise instrument seperation, has to be the Sony MDR-SA5000. When the original poster mentioned "feeling like the music is being played in your head" - that's one impression the MDR-SA5000 certainly has for me.

The weaknesses of the MDR-SA5000, a glossing of inner detail, inaccuracy in the natural timbre of instruments (as some hear it), lack of hugely impactful bass, lack of warmth, fullness of sound, are generally not major issues in electronic music, at least as I enjoy that genre.

Best,

-Jason

I think something more along the lines of the SAx000 series or something with a degree of air/atmosphere would be a much better choice. I'm really into electronica and I didn't think the SR80s were too spectacular in this regard. The sound was very closed in; it was as if the sound was being sucked inward toward my brain. Personally, I feel that soundstage/air along with speed/detail are the 2 most important aspects to consider when looking for electronica headphones. Next would be bass (Whether you want it accurate, tight, and detailed, or if you want it big, punchy, lively, and "fun").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back