Best headphones for compass
May 23, 2009 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

samspotting

New Head-Fier
I bought a compass for my audioengine a5's and I was wondering what headphones would work best with these things?

I listen to everything except classical. I have the sr60s but don't like them as I find them a little harsh.

No preference on open or closed, iem or full size.

May 24, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 18
Compass has a very quiet, black background. But still very powerful. IMO, regardless of what headphone you choose, Compass will drive them well.

I suggest just trying to find Headphones suited to you instead. Compass should sound great with whatever you choose.

May 24, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 18
You can probably find something you like between the R10, L3000, or PS1. If you're using the Compass as a DAC, then BHSE -> O2 Mk 1 or Aristaeus-> HE90 are also options.
rolleyes.gif

May 24, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compass has a very quiet, black background. But still very powerful. IMO, regardless of what headphone you choose, Compass will drive them well.

I suggest just trying to find Headphones suited to you instead. Compass should sound great with whatever you choose.

I'm tempted about buying the Compass for my DT48.. I just don't know how big a upgrade they would be over my Yamaha 1800, which does a very good job for a A/V receiver..

Quiet, blackground, clear, detailed, & fast.. Are my main requirements.

May 24, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 18
Denons... the Compass tends to be a little on the bright side, which mates well with the darker Denon sound sig, but didn't sound as good with my brighter cans (CD3000, K701). Although I didn't have the Compass and the SA5000 at the same time, from what I remember I can't imagine that combination meshing well together.

May 24, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm tempted about buying the Compass for my DT48.. I just don't know how big a upgrade they would be over my Yamaha 1800, which does a very good job for a A/V receiver..

Quiet, blackground, clear, detailed, & fast.. Are my main requirements.

Can't really help you Bubba since your perception of sound is bit different from mine. Your ears for that fast, neutral sound is bit more accute. Try PMing Drosera about what he thinks. He listens to a lot of classical with the K701. He also recently started listening to his new Audio-GD Reference 1!

But I can tell you that Kingwa, the designer himself wants to create "neutral" and clear sounding amplfiiers, DACs. But instead of saying Neutral I believe he wants to describe his creations more like a "monitor." Portraying the source withoud any added coloration. But how close he is to that sound, I cannot say, but I know that is his intentions for all his designs.

May 24, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denons... the Compass tends to be a little on the bright side, which mates well with the darker Denon sound sig, but didn't sound as good with my brighter cans (CD3000, K701). Although I didn't have the Compass and the SA5000 at the same time, from what I remember I can't imagine that combination meshing well together.

Did you get the chance to check the Compass with RS-1?

I wonder if somebody can compare the Compass to the Phonitor.

May 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 18
I've researched the suggestions here and I think I am going to get the dt 770 pro's. They can be upgraded to darth beyers and are heavy in bass so that would be great at augmenting my speakers (they lack in movies and gaming).

For music, I would only listen to music using the headphones at night when everyone is asleep.

May 24, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't really help you Bubba since your perception of sound is bit different from mine. Your ears for that fast, neutral sound is bit more accute. Try PMing Drosera about what he thinks. He listens to a lot of classical with the K701. He also recently started listening to his new Audio-GD Reference 1!

But I can tell you that Kingwa, the designer himself wants to create "neutral" and clear sounding amplfiiers, DACs. But instead of saying Neutral I believe he wants to describe his creations more like a "monitor." Portraying the source withoud any added coloration. But how close he is to that sound, I cannot say, but I know that is his intentions for all his designs.

Yes, neutral is 'subjective'. Monitor will avoid conflicts.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by samspotting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've researched the suggestions here and I think I am going to get the dt 770 pro's. They can be upgraded to darth beyers and are heavy in bass so that would be great at augmenting my speakers (they lack in movies and gaming).

For music, I would only listen to music using the headphones at night when everyone is asleep.

I can vouch for the dt770 pro's with the Compass. I'm using earth neutral and the sound is great. They are also incredibly comfortable. I'm not sure you can get them darthed anymore at headfile as he is now making the Terminator, which he will not allow you to send in your own dt770's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back