Best Headphones For Comfort -- Big Head and Large Ears??
Jul 31, 2012 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mutineer

New Head-Fier
HaHa-- OK funny thread title aside I am totally serious. I currently own Ultrasone Edition 8s and I am happy with them except that they go over my ears rather than around, clamp them down quite tightly, and in the hot and humid climate I live in, cause me to take them off after maybe a maximum of 30 to 40 minutes or so of listening. I own an IEM but still would like a set of full headphones that I can wear comfortably. Other Criteria: 1) Music Preferences: I listen to a wide variety of music but they should be able handle acoustic types of music exceptionally well. I like a fair amount of sound stage. 2) Price: Will spend money if I have to but maybe cap at US$800 Max -- happy to spend less if quality still there 3) Form: I generally prefer closed Vs Open but am willing to consider open as long as they provide a "reasonable" degree of isolation Might in Some cases use for travel (Long Bus or flights) so should not leak music too loudly and should not be so huge as to make silly for travel use.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 13
The T70, Denon D5000, JVC DX700, DX1000, Philips Fideleo L1 are great sounding closed back headphones and they are quite portable.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
The T70, Denon D5000, JVC DX700, DX1000, Philips Fideleo L1 are great sounding closed back headphones and they are quite portable.

Thank you ---- of the products you mention I have only actually heard the Denon D5000.  They seem to get a lot of love on headfi but I found the base to be a bit overwhelming --- booming and leaking over the mids.  To be fair I only had about 30 minutes with them.

The JVCs seem to still  be very expensive in Singapore --- over US$1,000 for the DX1000.

The T70 does not seem to get a lot of love here but since I am not a bass head maybe they are worth looking at.

Never even heard of the Philips phones but maybe also worth a look -- Philips not exactly a brand that comes to mind for headphones but they seem to begetting some good reviews.      

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Thank you ---- of the products you mention I have only actually heard the Denon D5000.  They seem to get a lot of love on headfi but I found the base to be a bit overwhelming --- booming and leaking over the mids.  To be fair I only had about 30 minutes with them.

The JVCs seem to still  be very expensive in Singapore --- over US$1,000 for the DX1000.

The T70 does not seem to get a lot of love here but since I am not a bass head maybe they are worth looking at.

Never even heard of the Philips phones but maybe also worth a look -- Philips not exactly a brand that comes to mind for headphones but they seem to begetting some good reviews.      

The Denon D7000's have less overwhelming bass (or so I read; I have the D7000's, but have not tried the D5000's), but the leather pads would get sweaty in the hot climate you write of. These are super comfy, and have little clamping pressure, but would also be terrible for portable use as they aren't very rugged.

I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic DT770 if you're looking to save a bit of coin, as they are very comfortable, and have real big circular velour earpads. They are quite large and do not fold down for portable use, but they are built like a tank so you could carry them around in your bag or a case. The Pro version is cheaper but has more clamping pressure (meant for studio use). The Premium version is more expensive, but should be more comfortable, as they are intended for home use. These cans are much cheaper then many of the aforementioned, and their sound will likely reflect that. But they have a great soundstage for a closed can and very nice bass; yet, the mids are a bit sucked out. Give them an audition and see for yourself. I guess other Beyer cans would be good as well, but I haven't tried any other closed ones.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 13
Denons are not good for noise isolation at all: they are more open than closed. 

The new V-Moda M100 is coming out; it is around the ear and should provide decent noise isolation. 

I have never heard a closed headphone that sounds good with acoustics music. You could try the open-headphones Q701 and HD 598. Both are disgustingly comfortable, though many people find the Q701's headbands to hurt like a bitch. However, they do leak sound. 

Look into the K550. It seems like your best bet. Decent noise isolation, and should fit a big head better than a smaller head would. Tyll saids the Denons sound slightly better but the K550 is just much more well rounded. 

DT770 is a possible candidate. Also, consider looking into the audio technica lines. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
The Denon D7000's have less overwhelming bass (or so I read; I have the D7000's, but have not tried the D5000's), but the leather pads would get sweaty in the hot climate you write of. These are super comfy, and have little clamping pressure, but would also be terrible for portable use as they aren't very rugged.

I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic DT770 if you're looking to save a bit of coin, as they are very comfortable, and have real big circular velour earpads. They are quite large and do not fold down for portable use, but they are built like a tank so you could carry them around in your bag or a case. The Pro version is cheaper but has more clamping pressure (meant for studio use). The Premium version is more expensive, but should be more comfortable, as they are intended for home use. These cans are much cheaper then many of the aforementioned, and their sound will likely reflect that. But they have a great soundstage for a closed can and very nice bass; yet, the mids are a bit sucked out. Give them an audition and see for yourself. I guess other Beyer cans would be good as well, but I haven't tried any other closed ones.

I actually had some Beyers back in the day -- DT-150 and DT-250.  Actually liked them for what they were --- entry level introductions to world of higher end closed phones.  Not sure about the 770s -- just not familiar with them -- the 880s seem to be popular here --- maybe need to investigate a bit more. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Denons are not good for noise isolation at all: they are more open than closed. 

The new V-Moda M100 is coming out; it is around the ear and should provide decent noise isolation. 

I have never heard a closed headphone that sounds good with acoustics music. You could try the open-headphones Q701 and HD 598. Both are disgustingly comfortable, though many people find the Q701's headbands to hurt like a bitch. However, they do leak sound. 

Look into the K550. It seems like your best bet. Decent noise isolation, and should fit a big head better than a smaller head would. Tyll saids the Denons sound slightly better but the K550 is just much more well rounded. 

DT770 is a possible candidate. Also, consider looking into the audio technica lines. 

Yes the V-Moda M100 could be interesting, from what I have read though some people felt the size of the M80s was a bit small and apparently the M100 will be sized the same.  Too bad --- it seems many on here areV-Moda fans ---- I have never heard them the 80s -- will wait to see what the 100s bring. . 

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
sony mdr xb-1000. if that doesn't fit you then i dont what would :p

Those things look huge ---- any idea how they sound??? For Baseheads only, or a good all round performer?

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 13
best comfort is ((SONY XB1000))

I THINK SONY MAKE THIS HEADPHONE FOR Elephant EAR
rolleyes.gif

ITS BIGGGGG
eek.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 13
lol -- well not sure i quite have elephant ears --- surprised nobody is mentioning beyer dynamics 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back