Best headphones for Classical/Opera for $150ish?
Jun 8, 2015 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

uziyourillusion

New Head-Fier
So, my brother's birthday is coming up and decided to get him a decent set of headphones. He's a huge fan of classical, opera, and other earlier works. I have a budget of $150 give or take a few to spend. My first thought was to go with the Sennheiser HD 598 this headphone excels quite well with these genres. But I'm curious what competition it has. Any other recommendations? He will be listening mostly from his PC that has a 600ohm headphone amp/ built in soundblaster dac in the motherboard. I assume it should be ample to power this set.

Thanks

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 8
You'll be fine power-wise and the HD598 is a good all-rounder.

I'll throw the Grado SR125e into the ring as well, they strike me as being perfect for classical and opera performances. Very open and spacious-sounding with great detail.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 8
  So, my brother's birthday is coming up and decided to get him a decent set of headphones. He's a huge fan of classical, opera, and other earlier works. I have a budget of $150 give or take a few to spend. My first thought was to go with the Sennheiser HD598 this headphone excels quite well with these genres. But I'm curious what competition it has. Any other recommendations? He will be listening mostly from his PC that has a 600-Ohm headphone amp/ built in Sound Blaster DAC in the motherboard. I assume it should be ample to power this set.

If you really did have a 600-Ohm headphone, chances are you would want to spend cash for a nice external headphone amplifier, then use the one built into the motherboard.
The Sennheiser HD558 & HD598 use the same 50-Ohm driver, so the HD558 is almost as good as the HD598.
AKG K612 Pro
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Went with the HD 598, we're very happy with the sound. I think I might actually prefer it over my AKG Q701s, considering ordering me my own pair. 

I think I'm liking the extra bass on the 598 that I just didnt get on the Q701s, not to mention the sound seems a lot smoother and less fatiguing. I feel like the Q701s had more detail and a wider sound stage though, so I gotta consider the trade off. EDM music is actually listenable on the 598s, where as on the Q701s the lack of bass makes it a snoozefest. I dont even consider myself a "basshead" either,

Anything for $3-400 that does the HD 598 sound, but better? 

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Went with the HD 598, we're very happy with the sound. I think I might actually prefer it over my AKG Q701s, considering ordering me my own pair. 

I think I'm liking the extra bass on the 598 that I just didnt get on the Q701s, not to mention the sound seems a lot smoother and less fatiguing. I feel like the Q701s had more detail and a wider sound stage though, so I gotta consider the trade off. EDM music is actually listenable on the 598s, where as on the Q701s the lack of bass makes it a snoozefest. I dont even consider myself a "basshead" either,

You might be a candidate for the K7XX, which has a bit more bass emphasis than the Q701.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK7XX.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQuincyJonesQ701.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back