Best headphones for classical music
May 9, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #106 of 148
Oh, and also a very nice headphones for classical music are Kennerton Thror or Thekk, they sound so natural and neutral. Much more nicer sound than HD 800 though not as clinical more musical. Also the cheaper Thridi or Odin (last gen) are better than HD800 when it comes to natural sound of instruments or voices.

May 11, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #107 of 148
Always wonder how the AKG K1000 sounds like when playing classical music.

May 13, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #108 of 148
I have AH-D7200 and got a pair of Sundaras as a compromise for now, but will certainly try to get T5p +gen or HD800S when I get enough cash for a purchase. Do you happen to have an amp in mind that plays nicely with T5p?

The T5p can run off most any amp, DAC or smartphone. At 32ohms it was designed to be easily driven by most portable devices. I use mine with my smartphone.

For a closed headphone the isolation is much better than my Mobius and female voices and the soundstage are to die for. I will sell my Mobius as frankly it's disappointing everytime I try to switch back - but I guess you get what you pay for - I still love the bluetooth on the Mobius but it just doesn't hold a candle to the T5p.

May 16, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #109 of 148
The T5p can run off most any amp, DAC or smartphone. At 32ohms it was designed to be easily driven by most portable devices. I use mine with my smartphone.

I agree with you, that you can listen to T5p on anything and they sound good, but if you want to get best out of them it is good to have a good amp. V281 is overkill, but G109 or V200 are good option to get most out of them.
I've spent 2 years with the headphones and started listening to them on Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS, then got Chord Mojo, then Chord Hugo and they sounded better on Chord 2Qute + Lake People G109 than just Hugo. Bass was fuller and whole sound got more body.

May 16, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #110 of 148
I've spent 2 years with the headphones and started listening to them on Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS, then got Chord Mojo, then Chord Hugo and they sounded better on Chord 2Qute + Lake People G109 than just Hugo. Bass was fuller and whole sound got more body.

T5p already produce plenty of bass. The T5p has more bass and body than my LCD-MX4. If I enable the "Tube Amp Pro" on my S9+ it has too much bass unless I turn it down on the EQ. I imagine they sound incredible on a real tube amp.

May 16, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #111 of 148
hifiman headphones are tuned more toward modern music so they are very rich and warm in general. Sennheiser is always the safest

Over generalization re: HFM. Several play classical quite well, even ones of the 2010-2015 era can be made quite taut with mods and EQ. Digital parametric EQ such as Toneboosters changed me from a 42 year long denier/disliker of EQ into a staunch fan over the past 2 months.

May 16, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #112 of 148
The HD-600 is a great cheap alternative - BUT - it seems to do better with tubed amps - certainly transformerless ones. I have what many consider to be an absolute hammer of a transistor amp and it just doesn't get the bass to kick.

May 17, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #113 of 148
The HD-600 is a great cheap alternative - BUT - it seems to do better with tubed amps - certainly transformerless ones...

I think this is a critical point: you can't really separate the headphone from the amp with which you drive it. I'm very serious about classical music and for me tube amplification is essential. I've had a Woo WA22 for about a month now and with the right tubes (a whole different kettle of fish) and the trusty HD-650 I'm very happy. Of course everyone has different tastes and expectations, but for me a system based on the HD-600 and an entry level tube amp by (pick your favorite vendor: Woo, Schiit, Dark Voice etc) would a nice system for (much) less than a thousand bucks. I think the HD-600 pairs particularly well with an OTL amp if classical is your primary interest.

May 17, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #114 of 148
I think this is a critical point: you can't really separate the headphone from the amp with which you drive it. I'm very serious about classical music and for me tube amplification is essential. I've had a Woo WA22 for about a month now and with the right tubes (a whole different kettle of fish) and the trusty HD-650 I'm very happy. Of course everyone has different tastes and expectations, but for me a system based on the HD-600 and an entry level tube amp by (pick your favorite vendor: Woo, Schiit, Dark Voice etc) would a nice system for (much) less than a thousand bucks. I think the HD-600 pairs particularly well with an OTL amp if classical is your primary interest.

I'm building a very over built BH Crack for my HD-600 (with mild mods). IMO if you want audio nirvana to classical (and I'd say non modern jazz, and a good swipe at audiophile tracks too) for the cheapest money - a new BHC kit w/ speedball ($415) and a gently used HD-600 from the pre 2016 era (~$120) = $535 and get a MQA bit perfect feed to an above average DAC... Nirvana. Now since I like everything but country and death metal I have the other rig. Ragnarok 1, Gumby 1, HE-500 (w/ mods) - it's about 7x more, and does a lot the 600 won't do, but visa versa there is stuff that the 600 w/ tubes can do the other can't either.

May 17, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #115 of 148
... a new BHC kit w/ speedball ($415) and a gently used HD-600 from the pre 2016 era (~$120) = $535 and get a MQA bit perfect feed to an above average DAC... Nirvana...

Very nice. But how much do you have budgeted tubes? :wink: A whole 'nother level of nirvana/neurosis.

May 17, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #116 of 148
Very nice. But how much do you have budgeted tubes? :wink: A whole 'nother level of nirvana/neurosis.

! You would bring that up. Based on former experience (NOS cost about 1/3 as much in 1995), I bought a Amperex E80CC (tall one with gold pins) made in 1961, tests huge and cost me $90 (from Brett Jesse). The problem is a prime tube for the 6080, $150 min, and $250 for the real good stuff (ego pushes me towards a coke bottle shape). I now have the RCA 6080 BH sent and I bought an early Sovtek 6AS7G which is said to be the best of the newer tubes. I think I'll get a better one someday, but after the extras I already sprung for (revealed later) it may be in '21.

May 17, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #117 of 148
T5p, yes, D90 yes, Dark Voice, oh yea, but for us poor homeless audiophiles, who sacrifice food for music and grab every opportunity to listen at Mozart or Vivaldi for free in Vienna when the ensemble plays with open windows, hang out at Drop for great cheap deals such as HE4xx or HD6xx; the charity organization Hifiman seems to provide us with less expensive alternatives, a bit step up from Drops XXes, such as Sundara and Deva. However, do anyone of you ladies and gentlemen know which one of those two to chose for Classics and Jazz.

May 17, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #118 of 148
I'm staying away from tubed equipment because (1) I'm old enough to remember how often tubes burn out, (2) they give off too much heat, and (3) tubes seem like a niche market item that might become extinct before I'm done listening to music. Just my two cents; I'm not interested in debating about this.

May 17, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #119 of 148
I'm staying away from tubed equipment because (1) I'm old enough to remember how often tubes burn out, (2) they give off too much heat, and (3) tubes seem like a niche market item that might become extinct before I'm done listening to music. Just my two cents; I'm not interested in debating about this.
Chinese are very exited about tubes, LOL, but I have never listened to phones fed by such. Tubes distort the sound and I am curious as to why this behavior cant be implemented in a randomizing DSP instead, inside a regular amp, where it may be turned off and on by a switch.

May 17, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #120 of 148

I gave up on them in the late 90's for the retubing costs and the nagging fatness in the low end of all but the most expensive amps. I did find hybrid pre-amps were nice. But not nice enough. You are right, it is a niche, but I'm 63 and my last tube amp is never going to wear out tubes before I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back