Best headphones for classical music
Sep 14, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #151 of 176
In my experience I would say that electrostats are best for classical music, with STAX obviously as the most prolific manufacturer. You can get a used SR-207 for probably around $300, your budget limit. The only problem is that you would also need an electrostatic amp, which you could get for probably around the same price used (like a STAX SRM-252S), so that pushes you over your initial budget.

As far as dynamic headphones go, the Beyerdynamic DT 880 and DT 990 Pro 250 or 600 ohm versions would also work very well, and I believe you can get either new for less than $300. The Sennheiser HD 600 is also great for classical (it has a very neutral tone) and you can probably get one used for around $300.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #154 of 176
I think that the HD650 are notably better for listening to classical music than any other headphones I have tried out. For me, it is easy to feel the power and spirit of the music with those.
The HD600 I didn't like at all...
I have also the Grado SR325e and SR325is, and I don't think that they are that bad for classical music. I wouldn't recommend them as best for classical. I just wanted to say that they are not bad. It sounds engaging.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #155 of 176
  The Sennheiser HD 600's are the best classical one I've ever heard at this price (under $500). They sound like the actual live classical concert most!

For classical, I would agree that the 600's are the best dynamic headphones under $500. If cost is no object, the STAX SR-009 are the best I've heard (which is part of the reason I bought them). 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that the HD650 are notably better for listening to classical music than any other headphones I have tried out. For me, it is easy to feel the power and spirit of the music with those.
The HD600 I didn't like at all...
I have also the Grado SR325e and SR325is, and I don't think that they are that bad for classical music. I wouldn't recommend them as best for classical. I just wanted to say that they are not bad. It sounds engaging.

I love the sound of the HD 650's, but I found them warmer than the HD 600's, so for my personal tastes for classical music I slightly prefered the HD 600's most of the time. Both headphones are great regardless. The HD 800's are also particularly great for classical music due to their tonal balance and soundstage, IMO.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #156 of 176
  I need some recommendation on a headphone. Currently I am using HD600, one of the "safest" choice of mid-fi headphones for classical (my first series headphone). While I am very happy with its analytical presentation as well as its beautiful treble, I still feel it lacks something when listening to large symphonic works. It is hard to say, but I just think I cannot feel the "excitement" that I enjoy in concert halls. It could be the neutral sound taste, or its more controlled bass. So I am thinking of getting a second headphone mainly for music with large scale and plenty of dynamic. I expect something with a large soundstage, clear separation of instrument, full range of sound that is powerful but does not cause fatigue easily.
   My budget is 500-800 USD so that rules out HD800 or T1. I have tried HD650 but I do not like its recessed treble and I feel it is kind of similar as HD600, and I want to try something with more difference. Any suggestions?
   Thanks in advance!

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #158 of 176
I recommend to try some budget loudspeaker setup for excitement reproduction.
Dali zensor1 are 395 usd at Amazon, can reproduct full orchestra fff with scary real.
Fff of Dali zensor1 can beat hd800 by large margin.

Yes, I know the headphones have their limitations in represent the full orchestra force, compared with even much cheaper speakers. Unfortunately my workplace does not allow me to set up a loudspeaker...

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #160 of 176
Thanks. Actually open-back headphones are also fine as usually I do not turn them really loud and I am using my HD600 for a while and no one complains:) I prefer open-back as they brings less listening fatigue and the soundstage is usually larger. So do you have any open-back to recommend?

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #164 of 176
 I currently use the HE-500 primarily for classical and totally love it!  I haven't heard the 560's so can't comment on those, but the 500's can now be had for around $530 so are a great deal IMO.  See my signature for my upstream gear.  My preference is always for as close to complete neutrality as I can get with audio gear and I think I'm there with what I've got.

The 500's provide a very true to life sound with excellent instrument separation and a plenty wide enough sound-stage.  I have auditioned the HD-800's and found the sound-stage to be very unnaturally wide and much prefer my set up using cross-feed to pull together the sound image for more of a 2-channel speaker effect.  

I think the only downside would be weight and comfort issues with the HE-500.  I always listen reclining with my head slightly propped on a special cushion I've devised.  But using them at work as you do, you mostly likely won't have such luxuries.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #165 of 176
  I need some recommendation on a headphone. Currently I am using HD600, one of the "safest" choice of mid-fi headphones for classical (my first series headphone). While I am very happy with its analytical presentation as well as its beautiful treble, I still feel it lacks something when listening to large symphonic works. It is hard to say, but I just think I cannot feel the "excitement" that I enjoy in concert halls. It could be the neutral sound taste, or its more controlled bass. So I am thinking of getting a second headphone mainly for music with large scale and plenty of dynamic. I expect something with a large soundstage, clear separation of instrument, full range of sound that is powerful but does not cause fatigue easily.

My budget is 500-800 USD so that rules out HD800 or T1. I have tried HD650 but I do not like its recessed treble and I feel it is kind of similar as HD600, and I want to try something with more difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

First of all, I wouldn't call HD600 "mid-fi", I think "mid-fi" could only be something below 200$.
Then what you're trying to describe is warmth, as far as I understand... Can you tell us, what's your source? Although I'm new to head-fi and I'm on a budget, I think it's absolutely not worth it spending over 500$ just to get some warmth, and then throw away your already amazing HD600. Alternatively, you might look into getting a better source. For example, I can compare experiences when listening to my ATH-AD900 from my PC/smartphone/tablet/whatever and from my not-so-budget stereo system. The difference is not only marginal - it's day and night! And the main difference is warmth. Amazing warmth that doesn't compromise the clarity (actually the clarity is even greater, too). As HD600 is a much better pair of headphones, and it has much more potential in bass reproduction, when paired with the right source. So, my recommendation, start looking for a good source. Many people recommend Magni+Modi or ODAC+O2 as a starting point, but your budget is higher, so get creative :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back