Best Headphones for Classical Music?
Jun 10, 2004 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bd555

New Head-Fier
I listen to classical music (Beethoven, Mozart, some with strong vocals). My source is an unamped Sony Discman D-E905. Right now I have a pair of AT A900's which sound pretty good but I am always willing to change if I can get something better (and I plan on staying unamped for now).

I am looking to stay under $200.00. I listen for hours a day in an office/cubicle setting. I don't know if that means I have to have a closed headphone or if an open headphone wouldn't be too bothersome.

Thanks for the help!

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Most people will tell you that the $200 is better spent on a new amp.

I hear what you are saying. However, if I find another headphone I think is better for classical music, I will be trading or selling the A900's. I'm not looking to spend another $200.00 on top of what I spent for the A900's. But thanks for your input, though!

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 24
I am to assume you will be listening to these for portable use only?

I would try one of those canal earphones if you can stand the pain (I can't) but many other can with no problem. I did listen to them, they sounded quite good with classical music, so give them a try.

I would recommend the Etymotic ER-4P for your portable, you can get them here for $219.00 :

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020100005

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 24
Sennheiser HD-580 (go for open cans for classical and endure the hassle, you won't regret it). If you like the sound, be sure to get an amp for them.

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...

I would try one of those canal earphones if you can stand the pain (I can't) but many other can with no problem. I did listen to them, they sounded quite good with classical music, so give them a try.

Good question. Yes, these headphones would be for portable use only.

I really hesitate to try out a canal type earphone. I just think they would be too uncomfortable for the amount of listening I do at work (which is basically most of the day). Thanks.

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...

I would recommend the Etymotic ER-4P for your portable, you can get them here for $219.00 :

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020100005

KR is right, you want the Etys. Some portables will drive the Senn 580 pretty well and you can get a great deal on these now. I'm not sure whether your Sony will do the job....My d-25s and Pana 570 can do it. So the Senns might be a good choice too.

Jun 10, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Sennheiser HD-580 (go for open cans for classical and endure the hassle, you won't regret it). If you like the sound, be sure to get an amp for them.

Thanks for the advice. However, our cubicles are right next to each other with walls that go up to our waist only. However, others do have radios on their desks they listen to at a lower volume so as not to disturb others. I guess I just wonder how much sound spills out of these open headphones. Thanks.

Jun 10, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 24
IMHO, I prefer the Beyerdynamic DT 880 over the HD 600 and even the HD 650 for classical music only simply because the Sennheisers are a bit too dark for that kind of music. On top of that the 880 has a huge soundstage which is great for classical music.

Edit: Nevermind because I didn't read that you need headphones for portable use and without sound leakage. The 880 leak quite a lot and aren't really what you would call portable and they definately need an amp.

Jun 10, 2004 at 10:02 AM Post #12 of 24
Portable
Classical music
doesn't leak too much sound
around $200

The ety's are a very good match for what you're looking for. Give the canalphones a try if possible. I find them pretty comfortable, abiet a bit troublesome to insert.

You could also consider the Stax SR-001 MKII System. Pretty good sound running off portable, even better if you're plugged in. Meets your requirements and don't seat that deeply in your ears. $235 on audio cubes.

Jun 10, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummy
I heard the AKG K501 is the best for classicals.

I second that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards
CK

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckng
I second that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards
CK

note that bd555 said that he will probably stay unamped for a while and that he's gonna use the headphones for on the road. I think neither the AKG 501, nor the Beyer 880 nor Senn HD 6x0r really fit these criteria

Jun 10, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
note that bd555 said that he will probably stay unamped for a while and that he's gonna use the headphones for on the road. I think neither the AKG 501, nor the Beyer 880 nor Senn HD 6x0r really fit these criteria

I will be unamped for a while (unless I can find a fairly inexpensive amp). I won't actually be using the phones on the road. They will pretty much stay at my office.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back