Best headphones for choral music under $150 to replace px100s
Nov 4, 2008 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rmt5

New Head-Fier
Hey there. I really enjoy my Sennheiser px100s, but am looking to upgrade a bit. I'm certainly a newbie... so bear with me please. :)

To preface, I don't care about style (over or on ear, open or closed, etc)... just overall sound (and to a lesser degree, comfort... since I won't be spending THAT much time with them each day). I WILL, however, be using them primarily with my ipod, and to a lesser degree with my computer.

Because of my research interests, I listen to a lot of choral music... specifically renaissance choral music (Palestrina, Victoria, Lasso, Byrd, Josquin... if any of those names or sounds ring a bell). Basically, it's a combination of what you'd think of as classical choral music, and what you'd think of as church music (hymns, etc). It is all unaccompanied.... no instruments, and the choirs usually range from 4-20 people. The lines are often very complex and carefully interwoven (not just block chords as in church hymns... different words at different times), so a good deal of clarity is needed. The sound of this music is often very bright and clear and resonant... almost like a sine wave. I've noticed that a lot of speakers have trouble handling the straight-tone sound of the sopranos, so that is a concern.

And because a lot of these recordings are done in cathedrals, I'm definitely looking for headphones with a good "sound stage."

Oddly, I don't actually listen to a lot of classical instrumental music... orchestral or chamber music... so this needn't be a consideration in your recommendation.

To a lesser degree, I do like hip hop and very treble-y rock (think Sleater-Kinney).

My budget is about $150. Thanks so much to everybody in advance! If I can answer any other questions that might help you narrow it down, ask away!

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend AKG K501, but they need a good amp imo. do you have any plans for an amp?

The AD700 should handle all of these well as long as you don't need too much bass impact (they will be bass light out of an ipod).

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 13
^ Another vote for AD700 in that case. Their midrange isn't too bad
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Even though it flies in the face of conventional wisdom, I love my SR60s for choral music, but I like being in the front row.
biggrin.gif
Then again, I have direct experience being inside the chorus as a singer, which undoubtedly influences my preferences...

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then again, I have direct experience being inside the chorus as a singer, which undoubtedly influences my preferences...

That was sick.
Reminded me of lyrics from Closer by NIN.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reminded me of lyrics from Closer by NIN.

*looks up lyrics*

*LMAO*

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 13
As another Grado fan, I would suggest the SR80s. They are the most astounding inexpensive headphones for vocal material I've heard. They generate an uncanny sense of space, pulling apart details that other more bass-heavy phones tend to obscure.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmt5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input. Would would be the benefit of the SR60s over the AD700s?

Anybody else have any additional suggestions?

None except that the SR60 are usually preferred over the AD700 for rock music. The AD700 are great for rock too though in my opinion. I personally find the SR60 too bright though and enjoy the AD700 more for everything, including rock. It depends on what your looking for though. The AD700 have a much more airy, spacious sound with a large soundstage. The SR60 is very compressed sounding in comparison with little sense of spaciousness or soundstage.

The AD700 is technically a better headphone. Id recommend the Alessandro MS-1 if you wanted to get a Grado though.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 13
Oh, I forgot to mention how they compare to the Px-100s (I have a set of those too that I bought for portable use after purchasing the SR80s. The PX-100s are more leaden and "heavy" sounding compared to the SR80s which I would characterize as being "lively" in the sense of space they generate-- sort of like comparing listening to a heavily carpeted/draped room vs. a more reflective (but not bare) room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back