Best headphones for below $200 AUD?
Sep 12, 2015 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JoshHat98

New Head-Fier
G'day,

I am looking to (finally) upgrade my headphones from my Razer Electras to something a little more decent. I would ideally like to spend around $100 however could stretch to $200 if it's worth the extra money. I am looking for over ear headphones and I enjoy listening to a variety of music including Rock, EDM & remixes (I guess that is EDM?). I believe I would also like them to be over ear and I am not concerend on open/closed back designs. 

I am plugging the headphones directly to my desktop PC (MSI Z87-G45 inbuilt audio) however if it's worth it I could organise a amplifier for the headphones I am sure. I don't plan to move around alot so bulk, etc isn't much of an issue.

Thank's in advance for reading, hopefully you guys can help me!

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 17
Are you OK if you can hear your environment? Would it be OK if the headphones leaked sound? If so, you might consider open headphones which have a bigger soundstage than closed.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 17
My brother has the exact same board and the audio is decent. So you should be good for the time beeing.
As posted above. Closed or open back headphones? What's it gotta be?

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 17
Thank's for the replys cel4145 and alynx my current headphones are closed back however I figure that both closed back and open would suit me. I sit in a room alone with the closed door 99% of the time. I mean, I'm sure an open back system dosen't amplify the sound so others in another room can hear it? Right?

Thank you :)

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 17
Once there was a legend..., Have you heard Goldring DR-150, it costs approx. USD 100 and I found it to be the best headphones in this price category, unfortunately it is currently no longer in production. For alternative, you could get AKG K420 which sounds very similiar to DR-150

http://www.headfonia.com/goldring-headphones-dr50-dr100-dr150/2/

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 17
  Once there was a legend..., Have you heard Goldring DR-150, it costs approx. USD 100 and I found it to be the best headphones in this price category, unfortunately it is currently no longer in production. For alternative, you could get AKG K420 which sounds very similiar to DR-150

http://www.headfonia.com/goldring-headphones-dr50-dr100-dr150/2/

Thank's for the suggestion ExCelciuS! I think I'm looking for an over ear more than a on ear.. Unless someone can convicence me? But thanks for that! :)

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 17
Originally Posted by JoshHat98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mean, I'm sure an open back system dosen't amplify the sound so others in another room can hear it? Right?

Thank you :)

Not to an extent some people on this forum seem to suggest. I tested this myself. Even when I crank the volume up to ear damaging levels on any of my headphones and leave the room and close the door, I cant really hear them. I mean sure, I hear them somewhat, but very faint and muffled and my door is like made of paper, its that thin.  ^^

Now on to the headphones.
The 100 - 200 $ price bracket is fully crowded. I mean seriously, a gazillion of options.
U already have a preference for certain sonics? Laid-back, juicy mids, ear shaking bass, that extra sparkle in the treble, yada yada?

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #8 of 17
For open headphones, take a look at the HD558 and HD598. Both are fairly easy to drive and would not require an amp to use with your computer.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 17

Not to an extent some people on this forum seem to suggest. I tested this myself. Even when I crank the volume up to ear damaging levels on any of my headphones and leave the room and close the door, I cant really hear them. I mean sure, I hear them somewhat, but very faint and muffled and my door is like made of paper, its that thin.  ^^

Now on to the headphones.
The 100 - 200 $ price bracket is fully crowded. I mean seriously, a gazillion of options.
U already have a preference for certain sonics? Laid-back, juicy mids, ear shaking bass, that extra sparkle in the treble, yada yada?

Hi Alynx, I haven't had much experience with headphones so I can't say I have any favorite 'sonics' or anything like that however I do like clear vocals, etc. Bass is somewhat important, but I would rather be able to hear the instrument that just 'bass'. Sorry I can't be much help in this area..

For open headphones, take a look at the HD558 and HD598. Both are fairly easy to drive and would not require an amp to use with your computer.

Hey cel4145, the HD558 are around $230 here in Australia, which is a little more than I was hoping to spend.. :/

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 17

Thank's for the suggestion ExCelciuS! I think I'm looking for an over ear more than a on ear.. Unless someone can convicence me? But thanks for that! :)

Hi Josh, yes, over ear are more comfortable during long listening session for sure, then get that Goldring DR 150, it's my highest recommendation for your budget 
smily_headphones1.gif

I found this link for you http://www.jaben.com.au/collections/goldring/products/gol-dr150 , and the best is what? It's that Jaben store has branch in Australia and the price is within your budget, also you could try it first to make sure about the sound, so what are you waitin for? 

Note: Jaben Australia is a subsidiary of Jaben Network Singapore, and we all know here that Jaben is a reputable store and has excellent customer services

Cheers ^^
ExL.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 17
The best headphone for $100 are the hyperx 2 cloud. Believe me when I say these headphone soar in the sound and comfort level. Don't bother with the surround feature. These sound better in normal stereo.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 17

Hi Alynx, I haven't had much experience with headphones so I can't say I have any favorite 'sonics' or anything like that however I do like clear vocals, etc. Bass is somewhat important, but I would rather be able to hear the instrument that just 'bass'. Sorry I can't be much help in this area..

Hey cel4145, the HD558 are around $230 here in Australia, which is a little more than I was hoping to spend.. :/

Nope, they're $199! If you live in Sydney, swing by Chatswood and try it out at the store there.

http://www.minidisc.com.au/headphones-earphones/open-headphones/sennheiser-hd-558-p-2081.html ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back