best headphones for an ipod?
Mar 29, 2005 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

crustikid

New Head-Fier
so i'm sick of the crappy stock headphones they give you when you buy the thing. what'll be the best replacement for them?

Mar 29, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 28
hmm..now that i think about it, i'm willing to look at my choices before deciding how much i'd like to spend.

Mar 29, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 28
I'm very happy with the sound and portability of my Sennheiser PX-100s.

See ya
Steve

Mar 29, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 28
Regarding canalphones, many head-fiers have started their headphone journey with Shure E2C's. Alot of people like to give them hell, but at their price point, they are hard to beat. Look at the Etymotics if you can afford more.

What type of music and how portable?
confused.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 28
I'm also curious to how the ETY 6i's are as I'm thinking about purchasing some. Are they really worth the price? And do they really sound that much better than what I have now? (look at sig)

Thanks

Mar 29, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 28
The Etys ER6 have no bass and sounds very thin!!! I think tey are only for classic freaks because of its clearness and good highs. For me these earphones are useless but if you listen classic? Ok.

If you want to buy some nice earphones (for rock/pop) with warm sound and good bass search for the Sony MDR-71/70, Shure E2 earphones (good mids). I think these 2 Pairs will be a good choice because of its price (under 60 Dollars i think).

Marco

Mar 29, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 28
Thanks, I'm glad I didn't fork out for them then! Might have a look at the Shure e2c's then

Mar 29, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 28
Be aware that ER-6 and ER-6i apparently are very different beasts. If you do a search on these boards you'll find lots of opinions on both earphones (and on the shures, aswell).

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 28
ER6i bass is hugely dependent on the source. Using my PC soundcard and a bit of EQing I can easily reach EX71 style bass with ER6i, very low deep & rumbling bass. But using the ER6i directly out of my zen touch makes it sound very thin.

With right source and adequate EQ settings, the ER6i sounds almost like a full sized headphone, the bass/mids/treble seem very balanced with no congestion (like with the sony earbuds). At the moment I only use the ER6i with my Sony D-NE10/D-EJ825 PCDPs as they have fairly strong bass boosters.

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by IC-Silencer
The Etys ER6 have no bass and sounds very thin!!! I think tey are only for classic freaks because of its clearness and good highs. For me these earphones are useless but if you listen classic? Ok.
Marco

I used ER6's for a couple years before moving on to the er-4s. The only times I had bass problems was when I did not have a correct seal. I listen to metal and hip hop on my ipod mostly and never thought the bass was lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back