Best headphones for alternative rock/ male vocals around $100
Aug 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

badhomaks

New Head-Fier
The budget is around 100 or so (could go more (even 200) if it is really much better). Full sized, I need it to cover my ears. The most important aspect to me is male vocals in songs. Some example songs of mine that I would listen to (skip to 2/3rds of the song to hear the strong male vocals which is the most important part for me):

Skillet - Believe

Secondhand Serenade - Belong To

Go Radio - Strength to Stay

I am currently rocking the koss pro dj 100 with m50 pads but feel like I could use something more comfier, better and perhaps a removable cable. 

Also, I'd like them to feel close to being in a concert hall for orchestraic songs that have strings like these:

Lindsey Stirling - Assasins Creed 3

John Dreamer - Becoming A Legend

I'll be purchasing from amazon.com if that's important.

So importance for the headphones in this order:

1. Male vocals
2. Open soundstage (or anything that will feel like I'm in a concert hall with my dolby headphone)
3. Comfy, I'll be wearing this for hours every day.
4. A nice thump for bass
5. A removable cable if possible but completely optional

Thanks for reading.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi! 
I would definitely recomment checking out HD558. Have them for about 2 years and they are super comfortable with removal cable and in terms of sound quality - I listen to alot of alternative rock and I love their sound. But if you are looking for comfortable headphones - this is definitely way to go. 
Martin

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 13
Are you really sure ? They are very common headphones and I think they should be easily purchaseable in Canada. Maybe look into HD518 or 598 ? I think that they are probably the best thing you can get. 
Sr80i would be cheaper but they are rather not comfortable without removable cable and the lower midrange is not where they shine. 
Maybe something like Beyerdynamic DT770/990 Pro ... I am not sure about the price but 990 are also thought to be bright (and probably too expensive)
I strongly recommend looking more into availability of the HD558. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 13
Well this is what I see when I go to the 558's page:

Note the message: This item does not ship to Maple, Canada. 

Seems like most sennheisers aren't shippable to Canada. I'd strongly prefer to buy from amazon.com.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 13
  The budget is around 100 or so (could go more (even 200) if it is really much better). Full sized, I need it to cover my ears. The most important aspect to me is male vocals in songs. Some example songs of mine that I would listen to (skip to 2/3rds of the song to hear the strong male vocals which is the most important part for me):

I'll be purchasing from amazon.com if that's important. So importance for the headphones in this order:
1. Male vocals
2. Open soundstage (or anything that will feel like I'm in a concert hall with my dolby headphone)
3. Comfy, I'll be wearing this for hours every day.
4. A nice thump for bass
5. A removable cable if possible but completely optional
Thanks for reading.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 13
About the amazon shipping to Canada, in a way they do, just have to buy from a different seller on amazon which sometimes is a good thing like being cheaper but might not be a authorized dealer and other stuff. But it still goes through amazon.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 13
The 558 was the first thing I thought of, because I'm using them. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back