Best Headphones For a Newbie?
May 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Newb

New Head-Fier
I'm considering a few pairs of headphones but I'm not sure which would be best for me.

I'm not a hardcore audiophile, and couldn't afford to be one, so I'm not looking to get the absolute best pair of headphones money can buy. I'm sick of cheaper headphones fading in and out and/or having one side die in a year or less, so I'm looking for something that won't crap out on me. I move around quite a lot with multitasking so having an indestructible cord would be a huge plus.

I've noticed that Koss offers a lifetime warranty, and knowing that I can get it repaired or fixed if it craps out goes a long way toward making it worth my while to spend more money on a decent pair of headphones since I know I'm only going to be spending it once. Generally speaking I like more bass in the headphones, and from what I've read Koss tends to have better bass than mids and highs, which is fine for me.

The headphones would mostly be used at home plugged into a 430W stereo receiver, but would also be plugged directly into a laptop without an amp from time to time. I don't care about NC.

Since virtual indestructibility is something I'm looking for, and Koss stands behind their products forever, I've done most of my reading on Koss headphones.

I was initially looking at the Pro-4AAT. I remember hearing them demoed at a store a few years ago and liked them enough, just not enough to pay $100. I had assumed the 4AAT is "better" than the 4AA because it is a newer model, but the 4AA seems to sell for a few dollars more at online stores. Does the 4AA have a better build or sound quality? This is really off the wall, but would the 6.3 to 3.5 adapter the 4AA comes with let me plug a 6.3 microphone into my computer? Probably a stupid question if you know what you're talking about, which I obviously don't.

I wouldn't mind spending a little more to get better sound though. I've looked at the MV1, which is about as much as I'd spend. I've read reviews here that say it's not too hot for the first 250 hours or so, which would explain some of the bad reviews I saw elsewhere on the net. After they're burned in, are they worth spending an extra $30-40 for someone who isn't a hardcore audiophile? For that matter, would my receiver and laptop be able to get any amount of volume through 250ohm headphones? I don't have the money to buy a dedicated headphone amp.

May 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Verry funny. Those pieces of **** don't even work in the store. I don't know how they sell those to people who aren't gay for Dre.

Hahaha, you're learning already!

Anyways i suppose your sources won't be great. So don't go looking in the mid end, cause this will just be too detailed for your source and make your soundcard and other unqualified components sound worse than they ahve to. Check out the SRH840, still i think you might be better off with something cheaper like the PX100 and a better source than a laptop.

May 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 15
AKG K99. My older version K66 is still alive after years of getting tossed about everywhere, haven't even replaced the plug or cable. Although I do stuff it in a small bag when I bring it out of the house. Even the earpads are still in one piece.

It's been 3 years and by now I use a DAC-AH with my PC feeding a Little Dot MkII tube amp on a Grado SR225, plus a portable amp and DAP. Works good without an amp, but it's still a lot better with one, although it's very transparent. Use it with tubes and it sounds more like Sennheisers twice the price; use solid state amplification and it kinda sounds like what you'd typically expect from AKG.

May 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 15
ATH-M50. I haven't heard of anyone who dislikes them. Stretch out the headband (as if you have your hands on a steering wheel at 10 and 2), and enjoy the hell out of them.

For beginners, you can't possibly go wrong with them.

May 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 15
How much is the ATH-M50? Coz that ebay deal for the Sennheiser HD25 looks pretty awesome if you live in the States!

May 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K99. My older version K66 is still alive after years of getting tossed about everywhere, haven't even replaced the plug or cable. Although I do stuff it in a small bag when I bring it out of the house. Even the earpads are still in one piece.

It's been 3 years and by now I use a DAC-AH with my PC feeding a Little Dot MkII tube amp on a Grado SR225, plus a portable amp and DAP. Works good without an amp, but it's still a lot better with one, although it's very transparent. Use it with tubes and it sounds more like Sennheisers twice the price; use solid state amplification and it kinda sounds like what you'd typically expect from AKG.

OMG, the K99 is worse than a terrible thing from the terrible shop. i own one, you can trust me

May 3, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG, the K99 is worse than a terrible thing from the terrible shop. i own one, you can trust me

I rather liked my K66's :/

At the price range that the MV1 falls under, how about the Senn HD555 or Audio Technica AD700?

May 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by leungie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much is the ATH-M50? Coz that ebay deal for the Sennheiser HD25 looks pretty awesome if you live in the States!

$90. The HD25 looks on ear... ugh. I hate on ear, unless it's called the KSC75.
ksc75smile.gif

May 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #13 of 15
If you plan to stick around in headphone world, go for something well known like the HD555 / AD700 mentioned earlier. This makes it easier to make comparisons for your next step as much more headphones are compared to those than some obscure Koss or AKG models.

I liked the HD555, polite and a bit on the boring side of sound (said from where I am know, I was very happy when I bought them) but very comfortable and never offensive, sounded good with all genres and movies.

May 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #14 of 15
+1 ATH-M50 (it is 90$)

May 3, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 15
I looked at the HD 25-1 II and the eBay deal is something I'd think about going for, but I generally hate on-ear headphones. I love the idea of a steel cord though. That seems pretty much impossible to damage without trying. Do any brick and mortar stores sell them so I could demo them and see what they feel like?

Another crazy idea, is there a place to buy heavily used but still functional DT48s? Something like a military surplus store or something along those lines where they would just want to get rid of them because they've been used for x years? Aside from the lack of bass they sound awesome and completely indestructible, but $300 for the used pair on eBay is a lot more than I can pay now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back