Best headphones for a certain type of music
Mar 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #17 of 23
  I have a big head and I forget I'm wearing my HD650. I find them to be one of the most comfortable headphones out there. And I didn't do any bending.

I thought my 650s were very comfortable until I got the X2s and K712s. They are in a different league. 

I have the HD598s too and they are more comfortable than the HD650s.  That doesn't mean they are bad, just noticeably different.
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #18 of 23
TH900 are the best I've heard for prog rock, especially for stuff like Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson's solo work.
Very detailed, spacious and deep low-end. Fostex TH600 might also be good which are a bit more "neutral" compared to it's bigger brother.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 23
  TH900 are the best I've heard for prog rock, especially for stuff like Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson's solo work.
Very detailed, spacious and deep low-end. Fostex TH600 might also be good which are a bit more "neutral" compared to it's bigger brother.

Nice headphones, especially the 900's, but
it seems the OP's budget would rule them out.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 23

Nice headphones, especially the 900's, but
it seems the OP's budget would rule them out.

I don't know the OP's budget, but if you can afford HD650 it might be worth considering TH600. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 23
I think you would be happy with either the HD700 or the K712, in that order so far as comfort is concerned, but the bass on the 712 is going to be a little more than the 700. Having said that I think the quality of the bass is better on the HD700. Note: I am talking subtle differences here not huge differences. As you were happy with the HD650's before I think I'd go with the HD700's if I were you.

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #22 of 23
  Just asking opinions here for some feedback in case I am missing some brands. I listen to Progressive rock. A lot of it from Porcupine Tree to Rush etc etc. I am looking for a very detailed and wide sound stage. Good low end too I am leaning towards picking up Senn HD650. I owned these a long time ago but can't remember how they sound. I also can't afford Beyer T1's again like I owned in the past. I purchased the Philips X2 and thought the mids were very recessed and hidden. This is just for reference. Any suggestions?

I am a huge prog rock / prog metal fan too, I am also getting into Prog-fusion too... anything from Zappa/Floyd/Genesis, Queensryche, Maiden, Yngwie, Spocks beard, Platypus, Dregs, Steve Howe, Alan Parsons, Asia, Beatles Sgt.  Pepper, Moody Blues, Spyro Gyra...etc...etc...  The problem with the genre is its so broad encompassing.  No one headphone can do it all, so the addiction has led to all the cans in my profile. 

Hard to beat the HD650 as all around, jack of all trades.  Listening to Mahavishnu Project on mine as I type this.  I was using my modded HD558, I put those aside for the HD650 instead... The added refinement and soundstage image of the 650 is a better match for this recording.

The HD650  won't image a soundstage though like any of the AKG K700 series cans.  Thats a good/bad though.  With poor compressed mastering and (GAG) digital re-mastering the AKGs are nails on chalkboard.  The spiky upper midrange resonance and the way they try and project a soundstage with flat compressed, anti-dynamic masterings leaves me reaching for my HD650/RS1.  BUT there are those times... Pink Floyd, Steve Vai, Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, Steve Howe... those guys that really focus on recording dynamics and capturing spatial ambiance.  For those times the AKGs are blissful.  Have you heard The Aristocrats?... Marco Minneman / Guthrie Govan... AMAZING stuff.

anyhow... still its hard to find fault in the HD650 as an all around option.  Don't forget to amp and source up!!... thats a whole nother' world!! 

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #23 of 23
  I am a huge prog rock / prog metal fan too, I am also getting into Prog-fusion too... anything from Zappa/Floyd/Genesis, Queensryche, Maiden, Yngwie, Spocks beard, Platypus, Dregs, Steve Howe, Alan Parsons, Asia, Beatles Sgt.  Pepper, Moody Blues, Spyro Gyra...etc...etc...  The problem with the genre is its so broad encompassing.  No one headphone can do it all, so the addiction has led to all the cans in my profile. 

Hard to beat the HD650 as all around, jack of all trades.  Listening to Mahavishnu Project on mine as I type this.  I was using my modded HD558, I put those aside for the HD650 instead... The added refinement and soundstage image of the 650 is a better match for this recording.

The HD650  won't image a soundstage though like any of the AKG K700 series cans.  Thats a good/bad though.  With poor compressed mastering and (GAG) digital re-mastering the AKGs are nails on chalkboard.  The spiky upper midrange resonance and the way they try and project a soundstage with flat compressed, anti-dynamic masterings leaves me reaching for my HD650/RS1.  BUT there are those times... Pink Floyd, Steve Vai, Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, Steve Howe... those guys that really focus on recording dynamics and capturing spatial ambiance.  For those times the AKGs are blissful.  Have you heard The Aristocrats?... Marco Minneman / Guthrie Govan... AMAZING stuff.

anyhow... still its hard to find fault in the HD650 as an all around option.  Don't forget to amp and source up!!... thats a whole nother' world!! 

THANKS. I just got the new Steven Wilson limited pack on his new CD that just came out. It's exceptional. As for source material. I have all that covered. I have some really higher end equipment. Bought it when I was making some good money. Now that I need some new headphones the budget isn't what it used to be. If it were than I would get another set of Beyer T1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back