Best headphones for a beginner on a budget
Jan 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #16 of 29

Quote:
Ok, well would you guys think that I would be better off getting a headphone amplifier and a pair of $30-40 headphones, or just getting a pair of $80 headphones. 

So basically, would it be better to get a FiiO E6 amp and say, the Superlux HD-681, or just getting the Creative Aurvana Live's (or any other headphones that you guys would recommend for $80).

Personally, I'd get the best headphone I could and get the amp later, provided of course the headphone is relatively easy to drive. If you are using your home theatre receiver headphone jack, they generally have plenty of power so a cheap amp like a Fiio E6 won't do a heck of a lot for you on most of the headphones that are listed here. With that said, I'm not sure the Creative is much of an upgrade over an HD681. I don't know that paying $80 or more for the creative is worth the price difference over the $40 for the HD681 or Samson SR850, or the $50 for the ATH-T400. At $55-$60 the Creative is a much more compelling choice. You pretty much have to move into the $100+ range to see a  significant difference over all the known good headphones in that $40 to $80 range with it all boiling down to preference in sound (obviously there's still a lot of crap headphones in that price range too). That's just my opinion of course so same may disagree, but if you peruse the forums, you tend to see a bunch of fanboys for a particular headphone and then others disagree saying the same headphone is crap. The FOTM effect goes on a lot.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 29

Quote:
Ok, well would you guys think that I would be better off getting a headphone amplifier and a pair of $30-40 headphones, or just getting a pair of $80 headphones. 

So basically, would it be better to get a FiiO E6 amp and say, the Superlux HD-681, or just getting the Creative Aurvana Live's (or any other headphones that you guys would recommend for $80).

How about you wait until the CAL goes down to $60 and that would save you some money for maybe a fio e5? Patience is key.

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
I listen to a very wide range of music, but mainly electronic, smooth jazz, cool jazz, a small amount of alternative rock, and some classical.

Maybe you can find a used HD448 or the SRH440.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #20 of 29

Quote:

Definitely go with the 80 dollar headphones and then get an amp in the future. However, keep in mind that a lot of cheaper cans can be driven just fine without a dedicated amp.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #23 of 29
I bit on the Brainwavz HM3 deal and received them today.  I feel that for $40.00 I straight up robbed Amazon.  Seriously a very good sounding headphone.   They're not as fun as my HD 25-1 II's, but they'll definitely get head time.  They have a more even sound compared to the HD 25's (less mid bass hump & highs are a little more tame) and a better soundstage.  They aren't bass lite, but nowhere near the impact that the HD 25's have (probably in part due to the much lower clamping force).  I'm not really crazy about the pads, but the overall build feels solid and they are very light and comfortable.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #24 of 29

Quote:
I bit on the Brainwavz HM3 deal and received them today.  I feel that for $40.00 I straight up robbed Amazon.  Seriously a very good sounding headphone.   They're not as fun as my HD 25-1 II's, but they'll definitely get head time.  They have a more even sound compared to the HD 25's (less mid bass hump & highs are a little more tame) and a better soundstage.  They aren't bass lite, but nowhere near the impact that the HD 25's have (probably impart due to the much lower clamping force).  I'm not really crazy about the pads, but the overall build feels solid and they are very light and comfortable.

Burn them in a bit.  They start to sound really good afterwards.  Especially good for $40.  These are working great for my work headphones.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
Burn them in a bit.  They start to sound really good afterwards.  Especially good for $40.  These are working great for my work headphones.

Oh they do sound really good right out of the box.  Sub bass extension on the HM3 is better than both my senns imo.  Granted it's the hd 25 and 558.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 29
I have to say I really like my Koss DJ100s for $80...I read a lot of favorable reviews for them before I got them. I am quite pleased with them and they're sounding better after burning in a bit. Listening to Pet Sounds (flac) right now, and it sounds quite good.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #29 of 29
I would recommend something you can mod. So you can remedy your eventual upgraditis.. 
tongue_smile.gif

SR-60i or the T50RP if you're even more adventurous..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back