Best Headphones for $200-250 without amp
Dec 31, 2009 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Trae

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm somewhat experienced to the headphone market and I am trying to find some headphones that will perform great without an amp for the price of approx. $200.

The first headphones I purchased were the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Overall great headphone. It has good mids and highs, but didn't have the bass I wanted. Well, after about 4 months of use the headphones are starting to die on me. The left speaker is louder than the right speaker and when I'm watching movies or listening to music when the bass starts to come in they make a static noise, really gets you out of the mode and pisses you off.

To get to the point this is what the headphones need to have:
1. around the $200 margin
2. will be comfortable after 5+ hours of use
3. will sound great without the use of an amp (not planning on purchasing one)
4. have a great amount of bass without distorting the mids and highs
5. will last longer than 4 months

These are the main things listen to:
1. action movies
2. Progressive House, Electro House, Progressive Trance (Techno music)

Here are some headphones that I found that look like will suit my needs:
Sennheiser HD595
Grado SR225i
ATH-A900
ATH-AD700
Beyerdynamic headphones (don't know which model is best for me and the majority of them cost the same on amazon.com-$250)

Sorry if this is too demanding, just want to find some headphones what will suit my needs best. Thanks.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 16
Ultrasone HFI-780 or some of there Pro line stuff if you can find it for the $250 price.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 16
Surprised about the 4 month life of the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Shouldn't they still be in the warranty period for a free replacement?

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprised about the 4 month life of the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Shouldn't they still be in the warranty period for a free replacement?

I think they are still under warranty, but I don't want to get the same headphones knowing what happened to the previous ones. I know that some headphones are built better than other ones even though they are the same model, but instead of paying shipping and all the other hassles just to get the same pair, I would rather just buy a whole new pair. It's probably my fault though because I jam pretty hard
atsmile.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I'm somewhat experienced to the headphone market and I am trying to find some headphones that will perform great without an amp for the price of approx. $200.

The first headphones I purchased were the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Overall great headphone.

Trae, happy new year to you.
Maybe you could add Denon AH-D2000 to your options.
It's a closed headphone like your ATH-M50.
And I assume D2000 sounds great too.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 16
Heard Denon AH-D2000's are being found on Amazon as low as $200 right now... I have a pair and use them without an amp, could not be more satisfied to say the least.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trae, happy new year to you.
It's a closed headphone like your ATH-M50.

They don't have to be closed- any type of cans will work. Open cans, semi-open, closed, etc. as long as they are comfortable and sound better than my beloved/semi-DEAD M50s.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 16
AH-D2000 sure sound like the right option from what I have read they are very nice. I wish we could get those kind of deals up here in Canada.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks guys. Looks like the D2000 is the winner. Looks comfortable, reviews are good on them, great amount of bass. Now just have to wait for tax season to get them. Lets hope they last longer than the ATH-M50s. HAPPY NEW YEAR
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 16
yup... you will be pleased with the D2000. a very swanky pair of cans for most listening.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados not a great choice based on your criteria. Not enough bass for you, not comfortable enough either. Beyer DT-250/80. Easy to drive, comfortable, well balanced, enough bass. Scales well with an amp.

Yeah, I just researched them and the Grados are made more for rock music so they cant have a lot of bass.

How good are the Senn HD595?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back