Best headphones for $150-$200?
Feb 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

greenvneck

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I am looking for some new headphones and was wondering if anyone could help.

I currently have Bose AE2, but the wire frayed and it's still under warranty so I now will have roughly $180 store credit at Best Buy. What headphones would you recommend for this price? Should I just get the same Bose headphones?

I mainly listen to electronic music (house, french house, dutch house) and hip hop- so what would you recommend?

This thread has probably been made, so sorry for that, but help will be appreciated!!!

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 13
Since you are limited to buying at bestbuy, I recommend getting either some audio technicas or a pair of shure headphones. These shures seem to impress so maybe check them out?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shure+-+Professional+DJ+Over-the-Ear+Headphones/2882078.p?id=1218360622290&skuId=2882078
Otherwise you could check out some sennheisers.
I don't recommend the bose unless you really like their sound signature. You can get much better headphones for the money.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Hi all, I am looking for some new headphones and was wondering if anyone could help.

I currently have Bose AE2, but the wire frayed and it's still under warranty so I now will have roughly $180 store credit at Best Buy. What headphones would you recommend for this price? Should I just get the same Bose headphones?

I mainly listen to electronic music (house, french house, dutch house) and hip hop- so what would you recommend?

This thread has probably been made, so sorry for that, but help will be appreciated!!!

Quote:
Since you are limited to buying at bestbuy, I recommend getting either some audio technicas or a pair of shure headphones. These shures seem to impress so maybe check them out?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shure+-+Professional+DJ+Over-the-Ear+Headphones/2882078.p?id=1218360622290&skuId=2882078
Otherwise you could check out some sennheisers.
I don't recommend the bose unless you really like their sound signature. You can get much better headphones for the money.

Thanks man, any audio technicas/ sennheisers in particular??

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 13
I recommend the Audio Technica m50's or the Sennheiser  HD558's. Both are great! I would lean more on the side of the m50s just because I don't know the hd558's as well. Maybe someone else can give some input on the hd558's?

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 13
The HD558s are great headphones, but don't expect a whole lot of bass or an in-your-face sound, which you may be looking for based on the music you listen to? I've never heard the m50 so I can't compare, but I do really love the HD558s. One thing to mention though is that while they will sound okay unamped, they do benefit a bit from a dedicated headphone amp.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 13
Pretty good site on this:

http://www.headfonia.com/full-size-headphone-recommendations/

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah Bose is overpriced, you can do much much better.

Honestly uninformed non-audiophiles think Bose is the best due to their high prices, just like uninformed audiophiles think Bang and Olufsen is the best.

Bose is not worth the money and doesn't have very detailed sound.  B&O is audiophile grade but still overpriced when you consider bang for your buck value.  I don't mean to make any B&O lovers angry, I love them in my Audi A4, extra $850 option that I think was worth it.  But 10k for a Beolab 5 is not worth it if money is at all a factor to you.  With diminishing returns setting in far below that, it's tough to really say the extra thousands spent are worth it.  It's obvious in headphones as well, they make $150 or $100 (I forget) earbuds (I also forget model name), but you can buy Sennheiser iems for half the price or less that sound equally as good.

On topic: Any Sennheiser 500 series you can afford would be my choice.  If you can afford the hd598s get those, if not work your way down to a slightly lower model, they'll still sound great.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 13

Denon 2000 from electronic expo. Try to haggle them down and you should be able to get a price near $200.00. Well worth it and excellent on Electronic music.
Quote:

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 13
I've narrowed it down to 4 options (I know that isn't narrowed down a lot lol) can someone help me with pro's and con's of all of them?

1) Audio-Technica Ath-m50

2) Sennheiser HD558

3) Shure SRH750DJ

4) DENON DN-HP1000

Other than being best sound quality, one point I'm interested in which had the strongest (but not overpowering) bass?

Thanks everyone

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to 4 options (I know that isn't narrowed down a lot lol) can someone help me with pro's and con's of all of them?
2) Sennheiser HD558
3) Shure SRH750DJ
4) DENON DN-HP1000

Other than being best sound quality, one point I'm interested in which had the strongest (but not overpowering) bass?

Thanks everyone

The Audio Technica ATH-M50s are way over priced at Bestbuy at $200, when at one time or another they have sold new for $125 on the open market.
Good music headphones, closed, so they do block outside noise, portable and are rugged.

Sennheiser HD-558, open so will (should?) have better soundstage, but lets in outside sound.
Bass is fairly decent
I own the HD-558s and can not say anything negative about them.
They come with the 1/4" 6.35mm headphone jack, but come with the 1/8" 3.5mm adapter.
Bestbuy price $180, have sold for as low as $145 on the open market.

Try to find a the best price on headphones on the open market and try to get Bestbuy to price match.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Personally, I'd use the store credit for things like games/music/movies, and buy headphones from an online retailer. If you're ponying up that cash, you should make sure its the best you can get for the price.

If you can find the Denon D2000's for $200 (used, or if you call J&R and ask for their "lowest price"), they're a great headphone to have. Though before buying, be sure you know if you want them to be a portable headphone or not, the Denons most certainly are not, but they sound *great*. Also, whether you want good isolation or not (are you going to be using them in a loud environment?) and whether you want open or closed.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

3) Shure SRH750DJ

Either model above. 
Some people is concerned about the build quality of the shure's tho. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back