Best headphones for 150$ (200$ tops)
Feb 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

768 mph

New Head-Fier
Hi. This is my first post so be kind to me. I have read threads here for a few months and because of that I went and tried out some headphones and my parents bought me a pair of sr80s for christmas. (im 14). I would like to move up and get a little bit nicer pair of headphones. I love my Grados to death and Im not sure what I want. I think I want somthing at the other end of the spectrum. my biggest point is sound quality. I dont care about styling, portability, ect. Any suggestions?

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 21
Welcome to head-fi, 

whats your musical taste? are you using your headphones on the go? (portable?)
budget? 

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 21
Another question..have you tried bowl pads? 

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 21
The Senn 518 or 558 would be very different quality cans.

The Shure 840 is another quality phone with a much different sound than the Grados.

Currently the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!) will give you a much different sound.  They are quality phones at a $54.99 budget price from Amazon.  If you want them at that price, I'd order quickly.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 21
Well the Ath-50 should be a nice upgrade from the sr80s if your listening to genres like dubstep, hip hop, etc. The 50s sounds more balanced in the mids and highs compared to the grados, the bass is not exaggerated and it's quite punchy too.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 21
I was kind of waining against the m50s. I listen to almost all forms of rock, some classical, and most electronic. I dont really want big bass, but I want to buy somthing other than Grados. I will only be wearing them around the house, showing off at school for a few weeks
smile.gif
,  and maybe in the car (no long road trips) so I dont need any portability. I have done the minor mods to my Grados (pads, the little peice of fabric behind the pads, and holes in the driver). The superlux's sound interesting ill have to do more reserch and will look up the fake m50s.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 21
pm if you want a detailed answer(s)

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 21
I would take a look at the Ultrasone's. I own the 780s and they are pretty sweet! They aren't heavy on bass but they do have a good amount. The 580s are the "bass canon" of the HFi line. The 680s now are reviewed as being very neutral. Maybe take a look at those as you said you didn't want a lot of bass. You can find these for $160 and under, just look around online for the best price.

Hope this helps!

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 21
buy fake m50 from dealextreme for $33, i have them and they sounds like real pair.

This is by far the best example of what should be disregarded as misinformation. Here you have a complete newbie endorsing fake headphones, yes, as if the knock-off market isn't bad enough.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
im not total newbie, and m50 is far from bass monster, it is average of bass quantity. in songs where bass isnt needed, it woulnt be there.

Fake m50s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back