Best Headphones & Earbuds for Fiio X3ii
Sep 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

magogo

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a Fiio X3ii. I have the soundmagic e10, v-moda m80 and ATH m50x headphones. However I don't feel much difference (sound-quality wise) between the fiio x3ii and my old sansa clip +.

I believe this might be due to my headphones. Therefore I need some recommendations for a new pair of earbus and headphones to use with the fiio x3ii.

I mainly listen to electornic music (House - Hardwell, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike and that kind of style). So I really enjoy headphones with a good bass.

These are the earbuds I am thinking of buying: vsonic gr07hifi man re 400 or rha ma750.

I am quite lost regarding a good pair of headphones. I have read good reviews about the sennheiser 600, 650 and 700. But I am not sure they will fit my music preferences. 

My budget for the pair would be around 300-400 eur, but I am adaptable.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 17
  Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a Fiio X3ii. I have the soundmagic e10, v-moda m80 and ATH m50x headphones. However I don't feel much difference (sound-quality wise) between the fiio x3ii and my old sansa clip +.

I believe this might be due to my headphones. Therefore I need some recommendations for a new pair of earbus and headphones to use with the fiio x3ii.

I mainly listen to electornic music (House - Hardwell, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike and that kind of style). So I really enjoy headphones with a good bass.

These are the earbuds I am thinking of buying: vsonic gr07hifi man re 400 or rha ma750.

I am quite lost regarding a good pair of headphones. I have read good reviews about the sennheiser 600, 650 and 700. But I am not sure they will fit my music preferences. 

My budget for the pair would be around 300-400 eur, but I am adaptable.

Nothing to do with headphones. I have X3 and I've heard a lot of other players incluidng X3 II, X5, X1, AK100, AK120, AK120 II etc. All of them sound the same, or at least extremely alike.
People talk some fairy tales and nonsense things around how players open new horizons, but the only thing that matters and affects sound significantly is headphone itself and amp, but for low impendace and sensitive headphones such as yours there is no benefit of having player like X3 from... for example iPhone.
FiiO has stronger amp than some other players and smartphones so it is a lot better when it comes to higher impedance, less sensitive headphones, but with those you've listed it's wonder you've heard any difference at all.
Dac inside can matter as well but dacs built in todays gear (such as iphone or latest android phones) is more than sufficient.
Anyways don't look for headphones that "pair" with player, look for headphones that pair with your taste, sound preference, since players all sound alike. Just watch out you don't get some really low sensitivity headphones of huge impedance (300 ohm for example) then the player will struggle to drive them. 

Haven't heard MA750 but I'd go for GR07 over re 400

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 17
Nothing to do with headphones. I have X3 and I've heard a lot of other players incluidng X3 II, X5, X1, AK100, AK120, AK120 II etc. All of them sound the same, or at least extremely alike.
People talk some fairy tales and nonsense things around how players open new horizons, but the only thing that matters and affects sound significantly is headphone itself and amp, but for low impendace and sensitive headphones such as yours there is no benefit of having player like X3 from... for example iPhone.

Agreed. Players like the Sansa Clip have already reached that high level of audio accuracy that better electronics suffers from extremely diminishing rates of return (if there is any return at all), unless the headphones need a more powerful amp, such as in the X3.

Since you are into electronic music, you might really like a pair of open headphones like the Philips X1. Open headphones have a bigger soundstage which creates a more immersive experience. However, they can leak sound and allow lots of sound from outside in. Best for home use in private.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 17
FiiO has stronger amp than some other players and smartphones so it is a lot better when it comes to higher impedance, less sensitive headphones, but with those you've listed it's wonder you've heard any difference at all.
Dac inside can matter as well but dacs built in todays gear (such as iphone or latest android phones) is more than sufficient.
Anyways don't look for headphones that "pair" with player, look for headphones that pair with your taste, sound preference, since players all sound alike. Just watch out you don't get some really low sensitivity headphones of huge impedance (300 ohm for example) then the player will struggle to drive them. 

Haven't heard MA750 but I'd go for GR07 over re 400I 

I can still return the Fiio X3ii, I wonder if I should do this and just buy some good headphones.

Do you think the gr07 suit better for electronic music?

Would the sansa clip be able to drive the gr07?

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 17
  I can still return the Fiio X3ii, I wonder if I should do this and just buy some good headphones.

Do you think the gr07 suit better for electronic music?

Would the sansa clip be able to drive the gr07?

Don't get me wrong, X3 is great device overall, I have it myself, it's also great because it can be used as USB dac for your computer, so you basically bypass soundcard and have a great external little dac.
But if you drive only sensitive headphones with low impednace, and don't use USB dac function at all, you'd probably be better off with great headphones + Sansa instead of X3 + lower headphones.

Also note that even with headphones - price doesn't have to mean better audio. Still, usually higher price range better headphones are better, unlike players and dacs where you can pay 1000$ more and still don't hear a difference. 

About GR07, they are fairly balanced earphones with present but not overwhelming bass. For electronic you might want something more fun with a bit more bass than GR07... I haven't heard it personally but GR07 Bass edition should be the one you look for instead of GR07, based on music you like, but again, I've only heard "normal" version of GR07 and I can vouch for it in general, good all rounder for any music you like, still if electronic is major preference you might wanna check out for some other options. 
Not sure about Sansa and GR07 but I think it would be ok, but again, no idea since I don't have Sansa. When I tested GR07 I've driven them with Astell & Kern AK100 (that I returned btw, not the best product)... they are ~50 Ohm impedance and ~106 dB SPL if I recall correctly, so you should check a bit more about Sansa.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 17
  Don't get me wrong, X3 is great device overall, I have it myself, it's also great because it can be used as USB dac for your computer, so you basically bypass soundcard and have a great external little dac.
But if you drive only sensitive headphones with low impednace, and don't use USB dac function at all, you'd probably be better off with great headphones + Sansa instead of X3 + lower headphones.

Also note that even with headphones - price doesn't have to mean better audio. Still, usually higher price range better headphones are better, unlike players and dacs where you can pay 1000$ more and still don't hear a difference. 

About GR07, they are fairly balanced earphones with present but not overwhelming bass. For electronic you might want something more fun with a bit more bass than GR07... I haven't heard it personally but GR07 Bass edition should be the one you look for instead of GR07, based on music you like, but again, I've only heard "normal" version of GR07 and I can vouch for it in general, good all rounder for any music you like, still if electronic is major preference you might wanna check out for some other options. 
Not sure about Sansa and GR07 but I think it would be ok, but again, no idea since I don't have Sansa. When I tested GR07 I've driven them with Astell & Kern AK100 (that I returned btw, not the best product)... they are ~50 Ohm impedance and ~106 dB SPL if I recall correctly, so you should check a bit more about Sansa.

I will check Sansa clips specs tonight. 

I belive the x3 is a great device too. I can have tons of flac files (I have a 128gb card with it), it does sound good and is well built. I guess I will have to decide of what headphones to use and then decide whether having the x3 makes sense or not.
Not sure. Probably depends on your listening volume. Maybe something in between? The Fiio X1?

I'll check this out tonight too. I live in the very center of Madrid (quite noisy) so I am not sure if open headphones would be such a great choice, I assume the noise would have to be really big for open headphones not to perform properly right?

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 17
I have contacted the guys from Headphoniaks and they have recommended the following:

in-ear

Fiio EX1
RHA MA750

over-ear (closed)

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 ohm
V-Moda M100

They said that I would really enjoy any of the 2 in-ear options listed above for electronic music and they have recommende the V-Moda M100 over the DT770 (only that the later is a bit cheaper).

I have also found I could get the ATH-AD900X  quite cheap (140€). Do you guys think is worth considering?

My thoughts now are that I am probably going to keep the Fiio X3 ii and simply upgrade my headphones to make full use of this DAP. One of the things I am liking very much is the great variety of files it can play. I will try to play around with the EQ to see if I can get the sound that I am looking for.

Any thoughts on these options recommended by Headphoniaks?

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 17
  I have contacted the guys from Headphoniaks and they have recommended the following:
in-ear
Fiio EX1
RHA MA750
over-ear (closed)
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 ohm
V-Moda M100
Any thoughts on these options recommended by Headphoniaks?

These are some great recommendations although I cannot talk for the Fiio EX1 as I have not tried or read much about them. Choosing between the other 3 comes down to your lifestyle and preferences:

The Bass is good on all 3. IMO, the bass experience that Over-Ear headphones offer, is on a different level when compared to IEMs.

Choose MA750 if you want ultimate portability, and you will save $100 or $150. Bass experience is NOT going to be on par with the other 2(IMO).

Choose M100 if you want a portable over-ear headphone. Can be driven by smartphones and PCs too. And has the looks like it was made for Batman. Can have comfort issues if you have bigger than average sized ears. 

Choose DT770 80ohm if you won't be carrying these much and if your source is going to be just Fiio X3ii or PC+Amp or PC with Soundcard. Smartphones or just any PC don't have enough juice to drive these to it's full potential. But has the best sound-stage of these 3.

Hope this helps.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 17

These are some great recommendations although I cannot talk for the Fiio EX1 as I have not tried or read much about them. Choosing between the other 3 comes down to your lifestyle and preferences:

The Bass is good on all 3. IMO, the bass experience that Over-Ear headphones offer, is on a different level when compared to IEMs.

Choose MA750 if you want ultimate portability, and you will save $100 or $150. Bass experience is NOT going to be on par with the other 2(IMO).

Choose M100 if you want a portable over-ear headphone. Can be driven by smartphones and PCs too. And has the looks like it was made for Batman. Can have comfort issues if you have bigger than average sized ears. 

Choose DT770 80ohm if you won't be carrying these much and if your source is going to be just Fiio X3ii or PC+Amp or PC with Soundcard. Smartphones or just any PC don't have enough juice to drive these to it's full potential. But has the best sound-stage of these 3.

Hope this helps.

Hi vishnusiddharth, 

I have finally bought the V Moda M100 and the Fiio EX1. I bought the Fiio from China (saved some €) so I am still waiting for them. I have just been listening to the M100 and I really like the sound coming from this headphones.

The M100 are definately good with electronic music (so are the V moda M80). They are also ultra portable (even more than the M80) so I will definately take them with me on my future trips. As you said they are really cool headphones too. Built materials are second to none.

After a lot ot A/B testing with the Fiio X3ii and my other DAPs for a month I decided to return it to Amazon. It really didn't produce a better sound than my Nexus 5 with Viper nor my Sansa Clip +. I really liked the feel of the device and the fact that I could have up to 128 gb of music in it. However, I simply wouldn't use this device in any situation. At home I would use my PC or laptop - which produce a much better sound than any DAP that I have tried. At the gym I would use my Sansa clip or my Nexus 5 through bluetooth.

Maybe the Fiio X3 ii is better for classical music or some other genres I don't really listen to. Definately not for electronic, hip hop or pop music - at least not IMO.

I hope I can get my hand on the Fiio EX1 soon!

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 17

I have finally bought the V Moda M100 and the Fiio EX1. I bought the Fiio from China (saved some €) so I am still waiting for them. I have just been listening to the M100 and I really like the sound coming from this headphones.

The M100 are definately good with electronic music (so are the V moda M80). They are also ultra portable (even more than the M80) so I will definately take them with me on my future trips. As you said they are really cool headphones too. Built materials are second to none.

After a lot ot A/B testing with the Fiio X3ii and my other DAPs for a month I decided to return it to Amazon. It really didn't produce a better sound than my Nexus 5 with Viper nor my Sansa Clip +. I really liked the feel of the device and the fact that I could have up to 128 gb of music in it. However, I simply wouldn't use this device in any situation. At home I would use my PC or laptop - which produce a much better sound than any DAP that I have tried. At the gym I would use my Sansa clip or my Nexus 5 through bluetooth.

Maybe the Fiio X3 ii is better for classical music or some other genres I don't really listen to. Definately not for electronic, hip hop or pop music - at least not IMO.

Did you switch the gain from low to high on the X3? Also did you use the built in EQ?

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 17

Hi vishnusiddharth, 

Good to know that the M100 is working out for you.

One less device to charge and more money in your wallet. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 17

Did you switch the gain from low to high on the X3? Also did you use the built in EQ?

Hi inthere,

The first thing I did when I got my X3 ii was to switch the gain to high. I did use the built in EQ. I tried some of my favourite settings but they didn't sound anywhere as good as my Nexus 5 (with the exact same EQ settings).

I have just bought a Xduoo X2, I hope this one provides the sound that I am looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back