Best Headphones/Earbuds/Canalphones for Working out/Sports?
May 18, 2004 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

iriverdrownsipod

New Head-Fier
Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster as they say...

Anyhow, I've searched the forums a bit and couldn't really find any posts relating to picking a good-sounding set of cans for working out. Can anyone help me with this? I've looked at some over the ear, in-ear etc. earbuds at the local electronics stores, but most have a maximum of hype and little useful comparison information.

I'd appreciate any help I can get!

confused.gif

May 18, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 23
Sensaphonics 2X-S or Ultimate Ears UE series would be the best I imagine. The Sensa's I had certainly sounded better than just about any other headphones I've ever heard.

May 18, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 23
Thanks for the advice, Tyson! However, your suggestions are a little but out of my price range right now (those student loans have first dibbs on my wallet). So, if you were shopping in the $20-50 range, any recommendations?

May 18, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 23
I have no recommendations at all whatsoever in that $20 to $50 price range. Every one of the isolating plug-type phones in that price range are horribly flawed in terms of sound. The ones that I've listened to all sound too boomy, too scratchy or both.

May 18, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 23
Wednesday, April 14, 2004
New price for Shure E3 earbuds

Microphone Solutions is cutting price on the Shure E3s again.

Use coupon code F148E3 to get the E3s for $145 plus shipping

----------

New best price on Shure E3 and E5

If you’re looking for a pair of E3’s or E5’s, right now I don’t think you’ll find a better deal on factory new pieces than Microphone Solutions.

Use coupon code F389E5 to get the E3s for $389 + shipping.

-courtesy ipoders.com

May 18, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 23
For the $50 price range, the senn px200 is an good choice. There're light, fold up, block some sound, and sound pretty good for just gym use. They don't sound that great out of the box but improve over time.

May 18, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 23
How much do you want to block outside sounds, and are you excersising in an enviroment where it's safe to block outside sounds?

If you don't need to block outside sound, it's pretty easy to get something cheap that will work, i.e., MX400 earbuds, etc. If you need to block outside noise and you don't have to worry about hearing traffic or other hazards around you, it seems like you have to spend a bit more to get good sound quality.

I recently bought the Shure E3c for their excellent isolation, but I've heard good things about the less expensive E2c as well.

May 18, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 23
Good point, Earwax (and great avatar). I will be utilizing the earphones I buy to study when I head off to grad school (so blocking outside sound is great) in the library. It would also be nice to stop sound leakage- an issue I had in the past.

I would NOT use the sound isolating earphones walking about the downtown area in mid-day traffic, however.

As afar as working out, I think that it would be great to be able to block out the unending stream of pop that the gym puts out and be able to enjoy my music in isolation. I don't really listen to my music at a very loud volume, so I would hopefully still be somewhat aware of my surroundings.

Ideally, I would like to be able to buy a set of earphones that would:
1) not fall out of my ears when I am working out
2) be fairly durable
3) possess a lasting impression of quality (sonically and technically) so I don't feel so badly about laying down $100+ for a listening device

Right now, I'm looking at the Shure e3's (price seems right- see above posts).
Any recommendations? Pros/cons etc.?

Thanks again for helping a newbie!

May 18, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 23
Don't forget to consider cord noise as well - when you are moving around a lot, it can get pretty annoying. I recently purchased some headphones specifically for the gym. I was deciding between the Ety 6 and the Shure EC3 and cord noise was the deciding factor for me. The Shure's have almost zero cord noise. The Ety 6 are definitely an improvement over the Ety 4's but they still have some noise.

The Shure's are also really easy to drive out of a portable player. After all, who really wants to strap themselves with an amp when they are working out.

May 18, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 23
I find the cord noise of the ER6 to be much less than the E3C if used properly with the clip. The ER4 and the E5 are probably the worst in terms of noise pickup from cables.

May 18, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 23
In that case I would recommend the Ety ER-6. I had it for a while and it was a great gym and study phone.

May 18, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 23
I'd recommend Shure E2 for workout as well as "isolation when studying". There is a lot of info and recommendations of phones for working out just search using term "workout" (just returned 100 results though this could be pared down by just searching the Headphone forum).

Here is a good thread discussing many issues mainly involving canalphones:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=workout

I'll qualify my E2 recommendation as follows:
- I've owned them and used them for both of these purposes
- they fit securely (especially if you use foamies)
- they won't break the bank at ~70$US
- They are built well, sealed and will stand up to sweat and some abuse
- very little microphonics compared to other canalphones
- very portable and can be worn in front or behind the neck so won't get in your way
- decent sound when just listening and fun sound when active (warm sound)
- fit fairly flush to ear (unlike etys or E3)

I don't recommend E3 (I've owned them too). They will not stand up to active use as well as the E2 (not sealed in the same way as E2) and their sound signature is not as fun for workouts. They are also more expensive and I truly feel that the E2 are more bang for the buck (though E3 are good in their own rite but not my choice for active use). You can buy 2 pairs of the E2 for the sale price of the E3. If you really want another phone for critical listening, then look at ER4S or full sized cans.

If isolation is not critical, you could also consider KSC35 (open, clip on style) or MX400, MX500 (earbuds) all of which are $30 or less.

Tyson - Sensa or UE? You're kidding right?
blink.gif
wink.gif

good luck.

May 18, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 23
This is a question i've been contemplating for a while now. For the gym i've personally ruled out Etys, and i'm considering Shure E2 and Sony EX-71.

Unfortunately search is down, otherwise i'd link you to the thread I had about it. Do a search with "commando" in the user field, and "gym" in the search terms field. It'll be 4th or so down the list of threads.

If these are just gym phones, don't worry as much about sound quality, instead focus on them being practical for the gym. Here's what i've come up with so far:

EX-71:
- very comfortable
- shorter cord on left side (makes it easier to snake cord down the side of your body)
- boomy bass, not well ballanced, but better than the standard $10 Sony earbuds.
- short cord, and the supplied extension causes pendulm effect because of mass
- about $40

Shure E2:
- reasonably comfortable
- good sound quality, better than the EX-71 but not audiophile level
- about $80
- looks like you're wearing a hearing aid
- cord goes behind your ears and then behind you, which could work well for the gym (hopefully)

I've still yet to make up my mind, but I have to decide soon myself as i've a shiping from the states coming over to me in a couple of weeks!

May 19, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 23
Commando and iriverdrownsipod

I have experience with sony ex71's and shure e2's. I've owned 2 pairs of ex's, the first being used for the gym and other purposes and the second being used strictly for the gym and running. The shures being used only for the gym and running also. I mostly use these with tuners because that is what I use for working out - right now with sony sf-84 from xin.

There are several things to consider between these two when deciding which one will suit you better for gym use.

Build Quality: The shures are way ahead of the sonys for build quality. They will last longer and you will feel more safe using them around the gym and running. My first pair of sonys lasted a year before the left ear-piece basically fell apart - time was up on the glue. The second sony pair - one ear-piece was just shot, maybe because of sweat but who knows. Not to say I wasn't happy with the sonys regarding build quality. They aren't the sturdiest but they lasted a year of abuse each for $40.00 - thats not bad. I've stepped on both the shures and the sonys a couple times. The cord is much thicker on the shures and their is no pendulum effect (as Commando mentions) with the shures. I run them behind the ears and down the front since it is almost impossible to run them behind while laying on a bench - they will pull on the ears. I've snagged both of these phones plenty of times while walking around the gym - it happens. It hurts like hell with the shures, not with the sonys. In regards to snagging, some exercises require you to pull or push in from of your body - the extra slack running on the cord is bad for this. For instance, take dumbell curls on the incline bench - snagging becomes annoying here as with many other exercises. The short length of the sony cord makes this less of a problem. Since I have to use the shures hanging down the front, I have to run the cord once around my neck before hanging them down the front.

Do you talk to people in the gym? Do you lift with someone else usually? I don't talk to anyone in my gym except the people who work at the front desk. I like to be in my zone and back home so that I can watch the playoffs in time. If you talk to people or workout with others, the sony is by far a better bet - not only are they very easy to take in and out fast, they have the uneven right-left cord length so that they can hang around your neck w/o being inserted, or one can be inserted with the other not hanging past your chest. The shures can't do this (in the hanging down the front position). Even though I find it easy to insert the shures now, its still much more a pain to keep inserting. Also, the shures look like a hearing aid like everyone says. In the gym this means "Don't talk to me." This will stop people routinely coming up to you and asking "How many more sets you got?" The sony's looks don't say this as much as the shures.

Soundwise: The shures are better all around. Funner, fuller sound for lifting. You get more into the music. I'm not going to comment on individual sound characteristics, the shures are better all around. Anything above an e2, I doubt you will hear a difference in sound quality in the gym, lifting or running. If you do, then you're not in the gym for the right reason.

I think it is worth the extra 30 bucks - they are both good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back