Best Headphones 2008/The death of my HD650
Aug 31, 2008 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ca911

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

My HD650's recently met an unfortunate death by someone carelessly knocking them off the table and stepping on them. I was always pretty happy with the pair, but now I am wondering what else is out there?

I haven't been keeping current with the world of headphones, so I am curious what you guys recommend? I will still be using the headroom bithead amp and my primary source will be my computer/etc so I don't need anything TOO wild. But whatever you guys are into these days I would be curious to hear what ideas you have for a new set of cans! I would like something maybe a little more bassy than the HD650s, but that is not completely necessary.

Thanks so much in advance!

Aug 31, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 13
If u have already had HD650 then u should try other brands also.

AKG K702 are the latest ones ..and everyones talking about them.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Everyone,

My HD650's recently met an unfortunate death by someone carelessly knocking them off the table and stepping on them. I was always pretty happy with the pair, but now I am wondering what else is out there?

I haven't been keeping current with the world of headphones, so I am curious what you guys recommend? I will still be using the headroom bithead amp and my primary source will be my computer/etc so I don't need anything TOO wild. But whatever you guys are into these days I would be curious to hear what ideas you have for a new set of cans! I would like something maybe a little more bassy than the HD650s, but that is not completely necessary.

Markl will probably have at least one pair of Denon D7000 headphones fully modified by year's end. No one knows how these will sound yet so stay tooned.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 13
What's your current budget??

While there are headphones have more bass than HD650, the quality of bass is another thing you should be concerned. I found the bass on HD650 is really good. Maybe a better DAC or amp??

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K702 are the latest ones ..and everyones talking about them.

If the Hd650 is his favorite cans, I doubt he'd like the K701/702.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But i used to think K701 are comparable to HD650.

nevermind...

I guess the Bass on the K701 must be weaker then since HD650 have a Bass emphasis too.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your current budget??

While there are headphones have more bass than HD650, the quality of bass is another thing you should be concerned. I found the bass on HD650 is really good. Maybe a better DAC or amp??

Current budget it somewhere around the HD650's price range, is somewhat flexible though if I find an amazing set, but obviously the cheaper is always the better
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tons of people like both (especially compared to Senns and everyone else).

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tons of people like both (especially compared to Senns and everyone else).

What's the big difference between the K701 vs the K702s? Is there anything especially spectacular about the 702s that should make me not even consider the 701s?

I have never listened to an AKG set, how do they sound compare to my HD650s?

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ca911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Everyone,

I think you would like the Denon D2000, and later you could re-cable them if the burn-in doesn't control the bass and smooth out the treble enough. Mine have the APureSound cable on them and I like them better than my old HD650 (but I like my HD600 more than the 650 too).

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 13
Must have been some party. Reminds my of when I lent a friend my Stax Lambdas, and they caught fire due to the fact that he was making out with his girlfriend and had placed candles next to the 'phones to create a romantic atmosphere.

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you would like the Denon D2000, and later you could re-cable them if the burn-in doesn't control the bass and smooth out the treble enough.

+1 for D2000. A stock pair's mids and highs are of a lower quality than those of the HD600/650, but the bass can be phenomenal.

Check out Markl's new 'Deluxe Edition MD2000'. I've only heard a stock pair myself, but it looks like these might fit your bill.

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean3089 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must have been some party. Reminds my of when I lent a friend my Stax Lambdas, and they caught fire due to the fact that he was making out with his girlfriend and had placed candles next to the 'phones to create a romantic atmosphere.

ROFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back