Best Headphone
Mar 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mixinator

New Head-Fier
I make house music on FL Studio on high level. I'd like to know what's the best headphone to use for producing house music. every site says a different best headphone. But what's really the best?

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 8
In what price range?

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Ultrasones. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Ultrasones. 

He's producing, not listening. He needs something that will represent all frequencies naturally and neutrally. Ultrasone sounds awesome when listening, but you don't want big bass and piercing highs to produce. Your mix will sound like trash. Don the Ultrasones after your mix-down to rock out. 

to the OP, the people around here are mostly into listening, not producing. I would look at phones that are more reference monitor in style. Like Shure SRH840, or Sony 7506 or V900HD. You don't want coloration, just the music. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 8
Under 100 USD, the Sony MDR-7506 or Sennheiser HD280 Pro would fit the bill.

You want a reference monitor: something that won't play the song any different than it truly sounds. If you use bassy headphones, the final mix will have no bass. If you use mid-forward cans, it'll be mid-light at the end, and so on.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Not sure of your price range, but in general the SRH840 is very good for production and at a relatively low cost.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 8

You don't want the monitors to boost the bass - what will sound "flat" through those monitors will sound "lean" through a flat reference, and "very light" through "lean" references. 

The goal is flat or nearly flat; so take a headphone that's designed for that - Shure, Sony, etc. I'd also suggest reference monitors (speakers), but that requires acoustic treatment too - if you have speakers that are designed for monitoring though, it's better than nothing (speakers are a much different listening experience). 
Quote:
I'd imagine for house music you'd want some more bass (correct me if I'm wrong), so i'd personally recommend the srh750s rather than the 840s :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back