best headphone with detachable cable for Sansa Clip mod
May 17, 2014 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FinancialWar

Head-Fier
I'm thinking about buying a headphone with detachable cable, and stick Sansa Clip onto the headset itself and then I can then buy a very short cable and connect the headset to the Clip. So that I do not have to deal with the cable. 

I'm not an audiophile, so I do not care so much about audio quality. my main priority is durability, comfort and looks (something not to crazy and black). 

ps. under $200, no amp need and can be found on Amazon.com or eBay.com.au

Thanks.

May 17, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't understand how you will stick the Clip in the headset. If you stick it one of the cups, your right and left channels will be mismatched in sound.

May 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 14
Here's my set-up, Koss prodj200 with clip. Original clip broke off so glued on this fancy paper clip, works great, would think stock clip would work as well.

May 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 14
  I'm thinking about buying a headphone with detachable cable, and stick Sansa Clip onto the headset itself and then I can then buy a very short cable and connect the headset to the Clip. So that I do not have to deal with the cable. 

I'm not an audiophile, so I do not care so much about audio quality. my main priority is durability, comfort and looks (something not to crazy and black). 

ps. under $200, no amp need and can be found on Amazon.com or eBay.com.au

Thanks.

Not exactly what your looking for, but it sells for $70 (+2 for faster shipping).
JVC HA-S680
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Victor-Outdoor-type-headphone-HA-S680-B-/301122953201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461c539ff1

May 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 14
Here's my set-up, Koss prodj200 with clip. Original clip broke off so glued on this fancy paper clip, works great, would think stock clip would work as well.

For some reason I was thinking of putting it inside the headset. LOL

May 18, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 14
I like your idea. I use a Salsa Clip+ with V-Moda M-100. These headphones use a standard 3.5mm plug to connect to either ear.

May 18, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 14
I haven't used the smaller models but if they also use a 3.5mm termination then - as long as you find a way of mating Clip+ to headphones - they would offer up a whole host of aftermarket cables.

May 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 14
Actually, there is a way. I posted pics somewhere of my solution for connecting my E18 to my SNG3 & that method would work equally well here. I personally won't be doing it because I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it but it could definitely work.

One more thing...

The M-100 has a recessed 3.5mm socket and it's quite a long way in there. The only decent quality aftermarket cable I've found that comes off-the-shelf with a suitably slim plug housing is my Nuforce Transient. I've read complaints of certain regions being out of stock. Last time I looked on Amazon UK it was in stock.

May 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 14
Yea, been looking all over for a 2.5 to 3.5 short cable so I can do the same with my m500 and momentum. They are so deeply recessed that a very narrow 2.5 end is needed. Hard to find.

May 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 14
I just ordered V-mode V-80. 

@pfloyd wouldn't clip on the metal part of the headphone obstruct the sliding mechanism of the headphone? Have you considered putting the Clip on top of the headphone or on the side? 

I'm thinking about attaching velcro onto the Clip and the removable plate of the V-80, or just super glue them together. 

May 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 14
I just ordered V-mode V-80. 

@pfloyd wouldn't clip on the metal part of the headphone obstruct the sliding mechanism of the headphone? Have you considered putting the Clip on top of the headphone or on the side? 

I'm thinking about attaching velcro onto the Clip and the removable plate of the V-80, or just super glue them together. 

That's my natural adjustment point and fits there very securely. Your suggestions for the vmoda sound doable.
I really like this mod, like wireless with thousands of songs attached, just wish I could find a 2.5 to 3.5mm short cable to convert my kef and sennheisers.

May 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 14
The V-80 sucks man it's no wobbly on the head.

Have you considered the V-Moda XS? It has better ergonomics due to its smaller headband, and actually has less clamp. You might prefer that if you found yourself enjoying the sound of your V-80. Another few good options for a portable would be Onkyo ES-FC300 (HF variant just comes with a different cable), Beyerdynamic DT-1350, and Sennheiser Momentums. The Onkyo option uses MMCX connectors, though, like Shure IEMs. This means they aren't suited to be removed frequently, as you might damage the connector. It's removable, but not meant to be removed at leisure; only when there's a problem or you decide to swap it with another MMCX cable (Onkyo sells them, but they're overpriced as hell IMO).

Why don't you just clip your Sansa to your sleeve or collar? It's going to feel less comfortable if you put it on the headband - especially if you pick the XS I suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back