best headphone values in $500-2000 range...for rock, jazz, blues: detailed, balanced and yet musical
Jun 12, 2016 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

canali

Headphoneus Supremus
edited thread:

wide price range i know...but due to the following review by hifi below :wink:
audeze lcd xc do look interesting...but so do the newly released sony mdr 1A

sorry but my headphone exposure is limited and i thought maybe time to have a look at other cans out there
after watching this recent hifi review of best overear cans for 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqqPCw9nxWo&ab_channel=HiFiHeadphones

currently i have the sony mdr 7520 and senn hd 650...they sound very similar to me
so  might be getting rid of one or both or them....

i do love a detailed and balanced sound overall..deep punchy bass, good mids and airy treble.

or should I, as some have suggested, upgrade my chain instead?

might just keep the sony 7520 for portable usage...easy to drive...got 'em for a good deal.
and they're still a kickass pair of cans.

my venues: rock, blues, jazz

equipment:
laptop to one of the the following:
-dragonfly red
-chord mojo (on the way)
-iFi micro iDSD
-recently upgraded mapletree earplus HD tube amp.

i really love instrument separation and great bass slam (but it has to be in balance)
and clarity. i do EQ when needed.

thanks for your help

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 11
You have great headphones in the 650 and 7520 already. The 7520 were my go-to portables for a long time until they wouldn't fit my new glasses ... problems getting a good seal.

With the Mojo in your arsenal, you have a very nice dac/amp and I don't think you necessarily "need" something better. I suggest finding phones that can be powered by the Mojo. Planars would give you a taste of tech different from your dynamic driver HPs.

In the Audeze line, please research the LCD-X. It has better treble than the 7520, smoother mids, and deeper, flatter bass. (7520's bass punch comes from a midbass hump). It also throws a decent soundstage. Audeze is also making upgrades to their line at this moment.

If you find the LCD-X to not be airy enough, perhaps check out the Ethers ... less bass but more air and soundstage (per the reviews). The Mojo could have problems powering the Ethers though, just fyi.

At your level, it's more about flavor and less about compromise. Good luck and happy hunting.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 11
You have great headphones in the 650 and 7520 already. The 7520 were my go-to portables for a long time until they wouldn't fit my new glasses ... problems getting a good seal.

With the Mojo in your arsenal, you have a very nice dac/amp and I don't think you necessarily "need" something better. I suggest finding phones that can be powered by the Mojo. Planars would give you a taste of tech different from your dynamic driver HPs.

In the Audeze line, please research the LCD-X. It has better treble than the 7520, smoother mids, and deeper, flatter bass. (7520's bass punch comes from a midbass hump). It also throws a decent soundstage. Audeze is also making upgrades to their line at this moment.

If you find the LCD-X to not be airy enough, perhaps check out the Ethers ... less bass but more air and soundstage (per the reviews). The Mojo could have problems powering the Ethers though, just fyi.

At your level, it's more about flavor and less about compromise. Good luck and happy hunting.

thanks...what also of the new audeze sine (in addition to the lcd x) to replace the sony mdr7520.
..haven't thought of a home pair yet..

am starting to warm up to the senn hd650 (just thru the dragonfly red, even)...go figure eh.
 but you know how this game is: technology evolves things constantly.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 11
The grado gs2000e is looking like a great headphone

Grados aren't exactly known for "deep, punchy bass" like the OP is looking for; they generally have poor bass extension. I would suggest the OP take a look at the Ether / Ether C (for open / closed back duties, respectively) for a home setup, and the Oppo PM-3 for a portable set.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 11
The grado gs2000e is looking like a great headphone

listened to a pair at the NY meet yesterday...wasnt impressed.
They sounded bass light(even for a Grado) and I heard midbass distortion listening to Hotel California on them.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 11
Grados aren't exactly known for "deep, punchy bass" like the OP is looking for; they generally have poor bass extension. I would suggest the OP take a look at the Ether / Ether C (for open / closed back duties, respectively) for a home setup, and the Oppo PM-3 for a portable set.

Ah, sorry I missed the bit about wanting punchy bass. Maybe the Hifiman X then. Or perhaps worth demoing some fidelio x2 to see if they have enough of what youre after

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 11
thanks...what also of the new audeze sine (in addition to the lcd x) to replace the sony mdr7520.
..haven't thought of a home pair yet..

am starting to warm up to the senn hd650 (just thru the dragonfly red, even)...go figure eh.
 but you know how this game is: technology evolves things constantly.

I haven't heard the Sine yet. My portables right now are the Philips M1 and Oppo PM3 ... not great but happy with their sound signature from straight out of an iPhone.

If you really like the 7520 but just want something different but not too radically different, please check out the Focal Spirit line also. I was split between the Spirit Pro and 7520 before I chose the 7520. Some believe the Pro to be more reference sounding than the 7520.

Edited - Focal just came out with a new line of HPs - Utopia, Elear, and Listen. The Elear may be my next one.

Good luck.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Helpful link to headphone measurements.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 11
You got the HD650 you at end game with your headphone. Just upgrade your chain. There is a reason why my AMP + DAC is over 2k and I use it just to drive my HD 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back