Best Headphone under $150
Mar 13, 2016 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

illusionist36

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a great quality headphone under $150. I will using them mostly for home movies and music. I am not looking for something on the go. I already own a Xiaomi iron ring. I mostly listen pop and rock(rock, hard rock, progressive metal, psychedelic rock). I am into everything except hip hop.
Maybe it's better to put it this way. I am looking for the best all-rounder headphone which will give me the best audio/sound experience while watching movies as well as provide complete music experience while listening to musics
Some aspects to consider:
1. I will be using them at indoors mostly, at home.
2. I pretty much listen to everything except hip-hop. pop and rock(rock, hard rock, progressive metal, psychedelic rock) are my thing when it comes to music.
3. I don't really understand this open/closed headphones. But when i sit back and start watching movies/listening to music, i tend to do it for longer period of time. So, i think the headphone i am going for should be comfy around my ears and it mustn't get hot. And sound leakage is also an issue. I would prefer less sound to leak.
Can you help me pick the best possible option

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 21
Less sound leakage = closed headphone.

AKG K553 Pro
SoundMAGIC HP150
Audio Technica ATH MSR7 (is out of budget but still worth considering)
Beyerdynami DT770i--the 16 ohm version of the 770, available only at Guitar Center.

Those are four worth considering. Good luck.

PS: A less expensive option is the Takstar Pro 80 (also known as Gemini HSR-1000)/ It is an excellent can.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 21
I've been recommended some other models by my friends as well, the BeyerDynamic DT770, Sennheiser HD 598 and Audio Technica M50x. Now, i am really confused as to which one i should go for. Can you shed some light ?

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 21
the sennheisers are open back, so they leak a lot. Let me explain: closed back headphones are 90% of what you see, they are essentially a tiny speaker in head gear, the sound projects inward only, the outer side (the outside of the cup) is closed. This seals in the sound, give better bass usually, stops most sound leakage, but also narrows the sound. Open backs, as the name implies, are open inwards and outwards, if you play music the sound will go in and out. what you hear everyone else around you will hear as well as the sound travels both into your head and out. but this also gives you a much larger sound stage; you dont hear the music confined in the headphones but rather around you; the bigger the stage the further the instruments. You'd here singing on your left and the guitar from the right and such, as if you're in a concert.
the ATH M50-X are a great set of closed back headphones, so are the ones suggested before  

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 21
  I've been recommended some other models by my friends as well, the BeyerDynamic DT770, Sennheiser HD 598 and Audio Technica M50x. Now, i am really confused as to which one i should go for. Can you shed some light ?

I own both ATH M50X and HD598 SE. Depending upon your requirements and music preferences you should choose M50X.
Feel free to ask if you need any details.

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 21
Hello, I am new here and already learning a lot. I have the Sennheiser HD 598s and they are incredible and very versatile. Run them from your phone to an amp and sound great! Happy Listening!

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 21
  wanted to ask about the senns.. might be getting them soon, how good are they? and how big is the sound stage?

They are indeed great. They do take some burn in time and getting used to but once you use them enough you just can't get over their magical mids and airy sound, no matter how much time you spend with them.. A masterpiece from Sennheiser.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 21
  Less sound leakage = closed headphone.

AKG K553 Pro
SoundMAGIC HP150
Audio Technica ATH MSR7 (is out of budget but still worth considering)
Beyerdynami DT770i--the 16 ohm version of the 770, available only at Guitar Center.

Those are four worth considering. Good luck.

PS: A less expensive option is the Takstar Pro 80 (also known as Gemini HSR-1000)/ It is an excellent can.

i am considering to go for Beyerdynami DT770.

how would brainwavz hm5, sennheiser hd 380, philips shp9500, AKG K553 Pro , SoundMAGIC HP150 or sennheiser momentum fair up against dt 770? with an amp/dac, is dt 770 pro is really worth the extra bucks?

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 21
  i am considering to go for Beyerdynami DT770.

how would brainwavz hm5, sennheiser hd 380, philips shp9500, AKG K553 Pro , SoundMAGIC HP150 or sennheiser momentum fair up against dt 770? with an amp/dac, is dt 770 pro is really worth the extra bucks?

cant speak on the other headphones you mentioned but I used to own the DT770 250 ohm.

They do not leak much,are quite comfy for a closed back.Just be prepared to allow some burn-in time.

Fresh out of the box the bass has a lot of thump,and the treble is near unbearable.After 60-80 hours mine tamed the bass and treble a bit,but in the end I sold them because I couldnt take the highs.....and I like Grados!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back