BEST Headphone Resource for GAMERS! Read Here Before You Make A New Thread!
Jun 23, 2011 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Xaborus

100+ Head-Fier
Please head over to this link which covers EVERYTHING from Headphones, to DACS, to Sound Cards. Forgive me for the link; the post is way to long as it covers almost all information.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 33
I vote no, first it is a from a different forum, second I totally disagree quite a few things on it.

X-Fi and EAX is dead, no use to get it anymore. And the usefulness uselessness of the sounds card's headphone amps. Also DT990 and DT880 for bassheads?

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
I vote no, first it is a from a different forum, second I totally disagree quite a few things on it.

X-Fi and EAX is dead, no use to get it anymore. And the usefulness uselessness of the sounds card's headphone amps. Also DT990 and DT880 for bassheads?

I have to agree with it being on another forum. I just posted this here in hope to reduce the clutter from gamers asking "what headphones for x preferences".

I was also recommended by many of the DT990's from many of the users here for bassy gaming. While they do have bass and a large sound stage (which is very rare) i prefer my $130 pair of speakers.. oddly enough. I'm probably going to sell the DT990's. Ashame. They are in almost  new condition. But for someone looking for bassy gaming headphones, the DT990's or Denon AHD2000's cant really be beat.

Oh and also i agree that creative cards are utterly pointless now days. But honestly the AMP on the Xonar ST is sufficient for all but the hardest to drive headphones... for gamers. Keep in mind not all gamers are true audiophiles, but just looking for a (fun) competitive edge. Us hard core gamers invest in odd things such as $100 mechanical keyboards and $80 super sensitive mice. Doesn't mean we're professional typists or video editors.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 33
I have to agree with it being on another forum. I just posted this here in hope to reduce the clutter from gamers asking "what headphones for x preferences".

I was also recommended by many of the DT990's from many of the users here for bassy gaming. While they do have bass and a large sound stage (which is very rare) i prefer my $130 pair of speakers.. oddly enough. I'm probably going to sell the DT990's. Ashame. They are in almost  new condition. But for someone looking for bassy gaming headphones, the DT990's or Denon AHD2000's cant really be beat.

Oh and also i agree that creative cards are utterly pointless now days. But honestly the AMP on the Xonar ST is sufficient for all but the hardest to drive headphones... for gamers. Keep in mind not all gamers are true audiophiles, but just looking for a (fun) competitive edge. Us hard core gamers invest in odd things such as $100 mechanical keyboards and $80 super sensitive mice. Doesn't mean we're professional typists or video editors.

I am using my Steelseries 6GV2 mechnical keyboard and a Deathadder on a i7 2600k at 4.5Ghz with 16GB of DDR3. Does that really come cheap? IMO a Essence ST with a better amp and slightly cheaper headphones is better in most cases. It is just far too true on the case of AKG K701. Sure, the Beyers aren't bad, but where is the AKG K701 on a gaming headphone thread?

AD700, DT880, K701 are like the go to gaming headphones. Leaving out the K701 is really not the best idea. More over, we have out gaming headphone thread over here anyway. It have wider range of headphone tested and the impressions are accurate.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
Wow, that pretty much covers everything. Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about a new sound card.

Quote:
Quote:

I am using my Steelseries 6GV2 mechnical keyboard and a Deathadder on a i7 2600k at 4.5Ghz with 16GB of DDR3. Does that really come cheap? IMO a Essence ST with a better amp and slightly cheaper headphones is better in most cases. It is just far too true on the case of AKG K701. Sure, the Beyers aren't bad, but where is the AKG K701 on a gaming headphone thread?

AD700, DT880, K701 are like the go to gaming headphones. Leaving out the K701 is really not the best idea. More over, we have out gaming headphone thread over here anyway. It have wider range of headphone tested and the impressions are accurate.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479

Looking to buy a DAS silent edition keyboard here actually :]. How is the steelseries? Also a Deathadder user, but the first 1800DPI version, and a computer builder lol.

The AD700, and DT880 are both in the article. Good point on the K701 though. Honestly i would rather use a AD700 for gaming than a K701, but that's just because im 16 and on a budget lol :D

I think its notable that the Q701 looks bad-ass compared to the K701 for $10 more.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 33
I was going to get some Filco but the price is pretty stupid compare to how much I can get the Steelseries for. Keycaps on it is ok, just need some use to rub off the strange bumps on it. I am not a fan of how the Q701 looks.

Cherry MX Blacks are nice switches, I am a fan of linear no click switches, some people say they can't type on it, I disagree.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
I was going to get some Filco but the price is pretty stupid compare to how much I can get the Steelseries for. Keycaps on it is ok, just need some use to rub off the strange bumps on it. I am not a fan of how the Q701 looks.

Cherry MX Blacks are nice switches, I am a fan of linear no click switches, some people say they can't type on it, I disagree.

I wish there was some place i could compare black/blue/brown switch feel =\. I think ill just buy a cherry brown keyboard as my first. Seems like a good compromise of feel and sound. How does the black compare to a standard dome keyboard?

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 33
I wish there was some place i could compare black/blue/brown switch feel =\. I think ill just buy a cherry brown keyboard as my first. Seems like a good compromise of feel and sound. How does the black compare to a standard dome keyboard?

There is simply no comparison, rubber dome feels undefined floppy and tends to gets worse as it get older (very fast, less than 1 month it will degrade with more use) The mechanical switches are far better defined, the pressure is linear and uniform every key on the keyboard.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 33
Looks pretty good actually, aside from some things like the DT990 being the "ultimate gamer" headphone and X-Fi (Which I do still have btw). But it's from another site so it can't really be a go-to resource here.

On the topic of mechanical keyboards: Tried cherry black, brown, and blue switches. Did not like any of them and went back to my G19. Everyone else stays with mechanical switches though I guess.

Mice: Roccat Kone [+] is the absolute best gaming mouse out right now. I've owned the old and new Deathadder, G9, G9x, MX518, G500 and others. My second favorite was the Deathadder 3.5G, which I still have, but the Kone+ is unbeatable. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
Looks pretty good actually, aside from some things like the DT990 being the "ultimate gamer" headphone and X-Fi (Which I do still have btw). But it's from another site so it can't really be a go-to resource here.

On the topic of mechanical keyboards: Tried cherry black, brown, and blue switches. Did not like any of them and went back to my G19. Everyone else stays with mechanical switches though I guess.

Mice: Roccat Kone [+] is the absolute best gaming mouse out right now. I've owned the old and new Deathadder, G9, G9x, MX518, G500 and others. My second favorite was the Deathadder 3.5G, which I still have, but the Kone+ is unbeatable. 

Do you think i should upgrade from my 1800DPI mouse? Is 6400 DPI actually usable?

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
Do you think i should upgrade from my 1800DPI mouse? Is 6400 DPI actually usable?

It's 6000 dpi, and yes to both questions. For browsing/desktop use and icon-clicking games (RTS, MMOs, some RPG) I use 6000 dpi w/ 2 sensitivity in the Roccat Controls with Mouse Acceleration on and default (6/11) Windows sensitivity. For FPS and such, I use 6000 dpi w/ 5 sensitivity, and windows mouse acceleration off and 6/11 windows sens. After these settings, I just adjust mouse sens ingame. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 33

Quote:

6000DPI and such is pure marketing nonsense, akin to 192 and 384KHz sampling rates, most definitely not usable. For fast action games like FPS, you have no need of anything above 3500DPI.

EDIT: I just saw someone gaming with stock Windows mouse control panel acceleration turned on. LOL!

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
6000DPI and such is pure marketing nonsense, akin to 192 and 384KHz sampling rates, most definitely not usable. For fast action games like FPS, you have no need of anything above 3500DPI.

EDIT: I just saw someone gaming with stock Windows mouse control panel acceleration turned on. LOL!

^ agreed, I'm using the original deathadder and it's perfect for gaming. I'm actually thinking about replacing this old one with the pure black version of the DA

Quote:

I have the Filco Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown Switches and I think it's very nice for gaming + typing. I never get fatigued when gaming/typing and the build quality of the keyboard is great. I was told that black was best for FPS gaming because generally you will push down your keys all the way anyway (takes the most force out of the three to push down, may fatigue your hands if you type alot) , brown was best for RTS types of gaming and is also a good mix between black and blue types (has the bump but is not as noticeable as the bump on blue and makes less noise than blue), and blue is best for typing. The reason why some gamers don't prefer the blue switch is because sometimes it may cause problems with double tapping.

For more information about mechanical keyboards and cherry mx switches, look at this website: http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back