best headphone (non-ANC) you can think of using as portable
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

l0rd m0rd

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

i'm currently looking for a headphone that's just completely over the top for portable use, but still looks barely sleek enough to not be embarrassed when on the bus or metro. I'm currently using B&W P5 series I & II for that. Sometimes with a Chord Mojo, sometimes just from my iPhone. In my search for a real mobile performer, i've aquired an audeze EL8 CB and a B&W P9 signature. I really like the sound of both headphones, but i was shocked. EL8 CB are really large, the cable makes noise when moving and the sound changes when moving the head. Also, the connection between the cable and the headphone sometimes gets loose. A tad smaller and without said problems .. they would be quite perfect. The B&W P9 .. man, i really LOVE the sound of them, regardless what others say about them. But the looks... i really had higher hopes for them. THAT HEADBAND. I spreads out really wide and looks like i have a leather-wrapped plank on my head. I can stick my whole hand between the headband and my head. Ridiculous. So i'm still searching. Well, i know there are solutions like the Oppo PM3 Audeze Sine, B&W P7 etc. Also, i don't want to get into the ANC stuff. I really don't need it, better audio quality is way more important - and it's quite sad how generic those are, everybody has them. No no. I'm looking for something better, that easily compeeds with "regular", "full-size"-headphones around the 1000€-mark or higher. But still sleek enough, if just barely - and they should be closed-back. And please: no in-ears, we're just talking about over-ears, maybe also on-ears.

-> What is the most badass, ideal portable high end headphone you can imagine?

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 6
-> What is the most badass, ideal portable high end headphone you can imagine?

Beyerdynamic T5P so I'll look as bad ass as these.
49727c5a9ed70680c305e9febe9a1ce0.jpg

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 6
ha! That would look quite.. interesting. But with "badass" i didn't really mean the looks as much as sound. The T5p are quite large, it's at least a bit sketchy. I'm looking for a "cheat", a headphone with large enough drivers, really high end but not looking completely out of proportion. At least a bit sleek. If there really is nothing above the Oppo PM3, B&W P7, SINE etc. level, ok, have to live with that. But i'm still hoping for more opinions in that direction. I just love walking around and combine it with the best music-listening experience possible. I walk to my office every day and drive back on the bus. That leaves about ~ 1 hour of music-listening joy every day. I really don't want to waste that time, since it's not a given, that i can listen at work without getting disturbed constantly.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 6
ha! That would look quite.. interesting. But with "badass" i didn't really mean the looks as much as sound.

Sony MDR-1, AKG K550

The T5p are quite large, it's at least a bit sketchy.

"Bad-ass" being subjective, some will interpret it in other ways, like the T5P.

I'm looking for a "cheat", a headphone with large enough drivers, really high end but not looking completely out of proportion. At least a bit sleek. If there really is nothing above the Oppo PM3, B&W P7, SINE etc. level, ok, have to live with that. But i'm still hoping for more opinions in that direction. I just love walking around and combine it with the best music-listening experience possible. I walk to my office every day and drive back on the bus. That leaves about ~ 1 hour of music-listening joy every day. I really don't want to waste that time, since it's not a given, that i can listen at work without getting disturbed constantly.

What you might not like about the sound of some could have something to do with how the street ambient noise is screwing up the sound.

I'd personally just use an IEM. It's easier to get something that sounds bad-ass when it can seal off everything else and you hear more of what it sounds like while also looking bad-ass since I look like I might have used it on stage.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Sony MDR-1, AKG K550
the brown MDR-1R at least looks really good, but i simply don't think that's the price range i'm aiming for.

"Bad-ass" being subjective, some will interpret it in other ways, like the T5P.
Let's say it this way: they really look and (possibly) sound bad-ass, so it's the right direction. They're just a tad too bulky.

What you might not like about the sound of some could have something to do with how the street ambient noise is screwing up the sound.
i really like the sound of all my HP in public. I just want more.

I'd personally just use an IEM. It's easier to get something that sounds bad-ass when it can seal off everything else and you hear more of what it sounds like while also looking bad-ass since I look like I might have used it on stage.
sorry, still no IEMs. I have quite small ear canals and just had too much trouble in the past.

P.S.: regardless what you might think, what my edgy nickname or my excessive use of the word "badass" has lead you to believe - i'm not a cringy teenager, i'm 37 yo and i have money. Please just give me good advise on the topic.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 6
the brown MDR-1R at least looks really good, but i simply don't think that's the price range i'm aiming for.

You're missing the point.

No matter how much you spend, you're still limited by ambient noise, and you're still going to deal with ergonomics. Both aren't necessarily improved by throwing more money at it unless you're comparing it to an ultra cheap product that was not really designed with a lot of considerations for ergonomics and you'd be lucky if they took isolation into account.

At most, throwing money at the problem gets you leather earpads that 1) isolate better than fabrics and 2) last longer than pleather...assuming you also coat them in leather conditioner every now and then.

Let's say it this way: they really look and (possibly) sound bad-ass, so it's the right direction. They're just a tad too bulky.

The more compact the earcups, the smaller the drivers, which means less bass or more compromises to the other frequencies to retain the bass.

At best there's the Sennheiser HD25.

Other than the Audeze and Beyers it's really hard to find a small and compact headphone for outdoor use that "sounds bad ass" because engineers and marketing would agree on just throwing RnD money on a high margin, lower volume production item on something that will be used at home than compete with what more sensible people would do to deal with isolation, ie, they'd much rather not even try to compete with IEMs.

P.S.: regardless what you might think, what my edgy nickname or my excessive use of the word "badass" has lead you to believe - i'm not a cringy teenager, i'm 37 yo and i have money. Please just give me good advise on the topic

I didn't find those cringey.

If anything, what I might consider cringey is that you responded to "not a good value for money considering these problems" with "I can screw**n throw a LOT of money at the problem!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back