Best headphone for X-fi Forte headphone amp
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

krisno

100+ Head-Fier
I got the X-fi Forte. I will some day get a Burson opamp to replace the stock opamp.

I got senn HD 600 and aKG K 701. Senn HD 600 is a really disaster on the Xfi forte headphone amp. It sounds congested, dark and bassy, like that phone always is without proper amplification.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 23
HD600 is always a little "dark" from lack of treble sparkle.  That sucks that it didn't work out for you.

You probably want to stick to efficient headphones.  Also, there are better alternatives to the Burson opamp for less money like AD797.  If you are interested, ask in the Opamp Thread.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 23
1) No, the Senn Hd 600 are not muffled and lack sparkle IF you use the right amp. The problem is that they are really hard to drive. Its really only a couple of amps really good for it, Lehmann/Matrix is one of them.. Other amps make senn sound closed inn, small soundstage, really muffled, and scales really badly. But a really good amp really transforms them, but it needs a really powerful amp.

2) I have dual ad797 in my matrix-m stage, I dont think they are better than anything else, they are so balanced that the vocals disapear. There is no magic in the vocal spectre, the mids are just "shrunk". I dont understand how people cal this music. 

I think the burson is the best... i had the burson headamp before, really raelly wide soundstage. Lots of detail, super smooth..

So which headphones are efficient enough for the Forte????? !! AKG K 701 maybe? They sound good on a lot more amps than senns.

Kristian

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 23
I still use my Forte (LT1364 op amp) and I had it paired with a HD600 for some time without issue.  The amp is more than enough to power the headphones, maybe you should look at that op amp upgrade sooner than later?  From what I recall the opamp that came with the Forte was rather lifeless on most of my headphones at the time.

I currently have the LCD-2 connected to the Forte and it's a pretty good match IMO.  I could probably spend more time with some better op amps at this stage.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 23
He's better off grabbing an M-Stage for better drive.  Opamps don't make enough difference there.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:

I currently have the LCD-2 connected to the Forte and it's a pretty good match IMO.

I second this.  I was actually pleasantly surprised by it.  I probably would use them together more, but I've been lazy and haven't gotten around to making it easier to swap headphones in and out of the desktop comp.  So the LCD-2 usually stays with the Stacker.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 23
Guys!

I have the Matrix-M stage(tried it with op: ad797, opa 627 in class A and the original burr brown 2134) , and I allready use the LT1364 opamp in the Forte. 

You have not heard Senn HD 600 without the matrix/lehmann amp. It is a completly different headphone with proper amp. With the forte the HD 600 sounds congested, dark and bassy. Honestly, try it...

but which opamp is better for the forte, excet burson its 1364LT?

K

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 23
But guys..... to offset the total lack of midrange(really sound repressed), of the AD797 in my matrix m-stage. What opamp would counter this on the Forte? I allready use LT1364 which is musical and I thought had quite a bit of midrange bloom allready?

Piano tracks and stuff like that really sounds "dead" on the AD797 matrix combo, which did not sound like that using opa627 forced in class a.

K

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 23
Update:

The AD797 really work in the matrix, it was the source that was the problem, namly the XFI Forte.

The Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, which uses the same DAC chip as x-fi forte sounds marvelous with the Matrix m-stage with dual AD797AN. The X-Fi Forte on the other hand, very very nice in games, sounds bright, harsh and not as muscially engaging.

I suspect its the X-fi chipset itself which sounds bright? Or is the only cure a Burson HDAM on the Forte? The problem is that I cant fit that with my PCI Express port behind GFX card. I need another mainboard. 

I tried the Forte with LT1364 and LM6172 which really does not cure it...

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 23
The DAC chip is just a small part of the equation.  Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 is a different circuit from the X-Fi Forte altogether.
Also, no opamp will make enough of a difference in reducing the digititis you hear with the forte.
I would sell both cards and grab an external DAC (unless you need their recording abilities or whatever).  An external DAC will not suffer from the issues a soundcard does from being inside a computer and will usually be less dry and harsh and more musically engaging.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 23
Well I tried the LT 1361 now, its not bad, its bit too narrow soundstage to my liking, but its softer and smoother and musical..... I use some cheap senns into the amp now.

Btw. do you guys know of a good headset for the forte amplifier, ? Senn PC 360 has also volume adjuster, but i dont need the mic..... also its expensive.

Is the AD700 really the best one to get? It lacks bass as I get it......

I think a Burson HDAM will make the Forte quite nice..... but i cant fit it right now because of lack of space. I want the XFI soudn support in games, its alot better, even without cmss3d(too badi t muffles the sound), than any other card. That is why I am using the Forte.

K

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 23
Any soundcard with the X-Fi chip will do if you just want those effects.  You can still have the effects on while outputting to a USB or SPDIF external DAC.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 23
Yes, but auzen are some of the best xfi cards........

Its not bad with LT1361, but I am using very low-end senns now Pc131 or something.... 

Which headphones are good pairing with the card? Maybe Ultrasones??

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 23
Are you using bit-matched output in audio creation mode?

Quote:
Yes, but auzen are some of the best xfi cards........

Its not bad with LT1361, but I am using very low-end senns now Pc131 or something.... 

Which headphones are good pairing with the card? Maybe Ultrasones??

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 23
I had the X-fi Titanium HD for a short period. That card played games perfectly well(without cmss3d) in audio creation mode.... but no, i am using the Entertainment mode at the moment. I dont really know if theres any difference? Atleast not if using foobar and WSASPI output?

The Forte with LT1361 is not really bad..... its more behaved thant LT1364. 

Listen I got the AKG K 701, and Senn HD 600.... which headphone comes inbetween these too? AKG id very sterile. Senn is a bit muffled sometimes, atleast when not amped. Which brand is inbetween which has a model that is amped nicly by the built in Head-fi forte?

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back