Best headphone for Metal music ?
Jun 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the difference was great. Okay, originals do not suffer from loudness war badly, but they suffered from common CD-babydiseases instead and werent very good sounding otherwise, very compressed and clipping and wavy cymbals. Remasters are very pure and good sounding IME, better than original vinyls I remember reading.

True the DCC remasters are better sounding than the ordinary versions. It´s been quite long since I listened to the original vinyl albums, although I recently listened to the brand new 2LP 45RPM releases of Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning and those were great sounding.

I´m currently saving up $$$ for a vinyl rig, costly but in the end it will be worth it.

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #32 of 57
There's a MFSL version of Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction which is pretty good. As previously stated, the self-titled Metallica and Rage Against The Machine albums were recorded when mastering for CDs was finally being done properly, but before the loudness wars began. You can also find metal-like stuff such as maudlin of the Well that is nicely dynamic. I know of *NO* modern metal that isn't guilty of dynamic compression, though, unfortunately. The new Opeth isn't bad, but still tends towards being overly loud. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum isn't too bad either. The last three Conception (the former band of Kamelot's singer, Khan) albums are actually pretty impressive from a dynamic standpoint, if you can find them.

I must say, though, that I really haven't been impressed at all with the DCC remasters I've tried. The DCC version of Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark sounded nearly identical to the original CD copy I had, and neither fixed the brutal clipping that occurred in a couple of louder sections. The Ride The Lightning DCC remaster is just OK, too, but that may be more due to the limitations of the original recording, which wasn't great to begin with.

*shrug* But yeah, if you want metal albums with really good dynamics, my faves so far have been Metallica, RATM, and Conception's Parallel Minds, In Your Multitude, and Flow. Aside from that, good luck.

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bak to the topic of poor metal recording/mastering for a sec. I was listening to Nightwish last night too (Dark Passion Play). This album is the most expensive to record in Finnish history, and has almost 150 musicians and vocalists on it. Great album, but I was disappointed with the overall recording quality - not "run of the mill metal" bad, but I couldn't escape noticing that it sounded very smallish in the soundstage, imaging, separation, and the dynamics. I really wish this genre would produce some "audiophile" quality recordings. Which brings me to this...are there any?

Check out Symphony X, though they're more Neo-Classical/Power/Progressive Metal than Symphonic. In particular, their album "The Odyssey" sounds great.

Jun 17, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Symphony X, though they're more Neo-Classical/Power/Progressive Metal than Symphonic. In particular, their album "The Odyssey" sounds great.

That's funny, I'm a big SX fan, but I think The Odyssey is one of their worst sounding albums in terms of recording and production along with Paradise Lost. Both of these albums are mastered incredibly loud and the drums sound particulary trash-y.

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny, I'm a big SX fan, but I think The Odyssey is one of their worst sounding albums in terms of recording and production along with Paradise Lost. Both of these albums are mastered incredibly loud and the drums sound particulary trash-y.

I think that The Divine Wings of Tragedy and V: The New Mythology Suite are the two best albums of Sym X in term of production quality. I often use these albums as references.

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Bak to the topic of poor metal recording/mastering for a sec. I was listening to Nightwish last night too (Dark Passion Play). This album is the most expensive to record in Finnish history, and has almost 150 musicians and vocalists on it. Great album, but I was disappointed with the overall recording quality - not "run of the mill metal" bad, but I couldn't escape noticing that it sounded very smallish in the soundstage, imaging, separation, and the dynamics. I really wish this genre would produce some "audiophile" quality recordings. Which brings me to this...are there any?

nightwishs songs are emense

i guess, i personally am looking for the perfect headphone for this, as mentioned, perhaps im on the wrong road with the grado and small sound stage

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nightwishs songs are emense

i guess, i personally am looking for the perfect headphone for this, as mentioned, perhaps im on the wrong road with the grado and small sound stage

That's what I'm saying...not that you picked the wrong headphone, but that something like Nightwish should sound huge and dynamic and glorious! Not like it was recorded in a living room through a five inch pipe, so to speak. Don't knowif it's down to the recording exactly, but I listened to this with both phones in my sig, and they are both fantastic if that quality is in the recording. As to the Grados having a small soundstage or being up front, I can't comment, as I have not heard them much, but the Denons do really well with rock and metal in general, which was my original point. Sorry I/we hijacked your thread with all the metal digressions.

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

I really wish this genre would produce some "audiophile" quality recordings. Which brings me to this...are there any?

If you can consider Liquid Tension Experiment 2 Metal - then thats the one.

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are totally derailing the thread.

Indeed. Wasnt this about metal headphones? There is already a thread about quality rock and metal albums somewhere.

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

I agree with you about Paradise Lost, but awful synths aside I have little problem with The Odyssey. Maybe just different tastes.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

My experience with metal on headphones is that the more you upgrade your equipment, the less you'll enjoy the music. Like it or not, 90% of metal is badly recorded and/or the production sucks, so good equipment will show the flaws more easily than entry level phones.

My suggestion would be something like a pair of KSC-75 or Grado SR60.

totally agree.that's why i even prefer listening to some live concerts than studio records.whatever
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you about Paradise Lost, but awful synths aside I have little problem with The Odyssey. Maybe just different tastes.

ITA with you moogoob, I think The Oddyssey sounds awesome on Grados; it’s very engaging and one of my favorites. It also sounds good on the HD650 because the soundstage makes it sound more grandiose.
cool.gif

I wish I could find a headphone for metal right in between SR225 and HD650, leaning towards the Senns; with crisp extended highs and no sibilance (is this contradictory?), with Senn's bass and Grado's exquisite mids. Does this headphone exist?

Quote:

My experience with metal on headphones is that the more you upgrade your equipment, the less you'll enjoy the music. Like it or not, 90% of metal is badly recorded and/or the production sucks, so good equipment will show the flaws more easily than entry level phones.

My suggestion would be something like a pair of KSC-75 or Grado SR60.

Can I quote this post one more time?
biggrin.gif

ITA, KSC-35 and metal is good for uncomplicated fun, I also enjoy the HD-25 with metal because of the rolled off highs and forward presentation but the OP wants open phones not closed.

For better sounding music like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Queensryche and newer Megadeth I like the HD650 (and even dt770) because of the ample soundstage and deep bass; and the slight recessed mids (more so on the Beyer) help hide any spandex on the vocals.

The Grado SR225 is usually recommended for metal, and while I agree this headphone does beautiful guitars and drums, it also has some flaws that I can’t live with (lack of soundstage, thin bottom, fatigue, discomfort) and I end up listening to them only on rare occasion.
I like having it around but there's no way I could tolerate it as my only multi-purpose headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are totally derailing the thread.

I don’t think the thread was derailed too much; there are so many types of metal I think it’s important to be on the same page. The OP and other people reading this thread need a lot of info about our taste before they go spend money based on these posts.

For example, as much as I enjoy symphonic metal and progressive rock on the HD650, I couldn't recommend it to everyone. I have to specify that I like my music impactful and bassy, I like to “feel” the double bass drums, I like my guitars thick and chunky, vocals low and deep and I am NOT an audiofile!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amm
Thanks for the replays
As for the headphone
Well I am not only metal dude
I listen to symphonic metal
And Classic Rock and some classic music
So I want something to be good for all of them
(and female voices)
Just some of my styles
Manowar, Iron Maiden, ACDC, NightWish, Rhapsody, Inflames, Guns and Roses,virgin Steele, Savatage, Beethoven, Mozart, vivaldi and much much more
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh
And I also love some country music (new stuff) like Tim mcgraw, Kenny chsney , Dierks Bentely, and so on

It must be open air, full size headphones, I really dislike closed ones or ones that get into your ears and so on
wink.gif

And what amp will you put it on to make the best out of it ?
(with a lot of strong power sound and mighty Volume)

Back to the OP!
Since you also listen to Classical, the Senns wouldn't be a total loss if you don't like it for metal. The HD580 is pretty affordable and sounds beautiful with almost everything, not so much with metal. I found myself in the same predicament and I ended up "compromising" with the HD650.
I'll keep following this thread and see if anyone else has any more suggestions.

Finally, the only thing I can say about your country music is to watch out for the Metal Inquisition
eek.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #45 of 57
iGig, you find the 650's to have recessed mids? Hmm...but what about all the talk about them having a midrange hump? I find that compared to my D2000's, they have a much (not a LOT, just more...) mids, really bringing the vocals to the fore, whereas the Denons extend further in the top and bottom end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back