Best headphone for its price (akg q701, T-70, T90)
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Tyco3000

New Head-Fier
Hi there so this is what I am going to use the most 70%gaming and 30%music. I can get the akg q701 for $250 is that a good price? The T70 is $360 and T90 $450. I will use an astro mixanp with these or I can buy another better quality one. The genres I listen to most is alternate rock and pop. Budget around $500 Thanks for the help.input :D

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 16
Might also check out the AKG K612 Pro.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 16
Okay I'm looking into it

I'm assuming your using the Astro Mix-amp with a gaming console? for FPS gaming?
Can't see a good reason for spending $500 for headphones, for that kind of use.
Your too buzy gaming to notice the audio quality difference, and I would also assume high priced headphones are more designed for audio quality, then surround sound.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 16
Nope I will be using this on a PC

The Beyer T70 is a very nice sounding closed headphone, I like to use it plugged into an A/V receiver (Blu-ray movies and TV).
I usually prefer to use open headphones, unless trying to block outside noise.

The Astro mix-amp is fine for console, but sound cards provide better audio quality (better DAC chip)
and have more power for driving headphones.
A $30 sound card, like the Xonar DG, can easily equal the Mix-amp for sound quality and surround sound.
Maybe sell off the mix-amp?

Sound Blaster Z sound card, $60-$90
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card+Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $160.
Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, $175

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 16
How would you compare the akg q701 to the t70? Also how good is the sound cancelation
biggrin.gif

Not really sure, I just sent my T70s in for repairs and have never listened to the Q701....but.
The Q701 should offer better surround sound.
To me the noise cancellation on the T70s are decent.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 16
Out of the ones you've picked, I like the Q701 the best for your needs, but I think you could maybe do a little better.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 16
The Q701 has a great sense of space that will make your games sound more immersive. But it blocks very little noise. If you don't have sound playing but are still wearing the Q701 on your head, you will hear almost as much as if you had no headphones on your head at all. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 16
What options would you consider ?

Well let's start with some basic questions that will help everyone answer.

1. What's your budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of sound signature you're trying to find?

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 16

Well let's start with some basic questions that will help everyone answer.

1. What's your budget?
  2. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
  3. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
  4. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
  5. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
  6. Do you know what kind of sound signature you're trying to find?

Budget $300-500
Mostly at home
Doesnt really matter
Will listen to CD's
Soundcard 
Some bass, not too high's but alot is okay as long as its not fatiguing to the ear, mids doesnt matter. 
Taking consideration of the 70% gaming so soundstage is a big part and 30% music thanks

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 16
I had these same requirements when I was looking for gaming cans. K702 AE or K712. It will be perfect for you and your needs. I use the same thing on my gaming rig where competitive gaming is a priority and they are more than capable of making all types of music sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back