Best Headphone for iPod/Total Airhead combo?
Sep 25, 2003 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shymog

New Head-Fier
I'm new to this all, please don't kill me! I've also used the search function already.
frown.gif

I just procured an older, used Total Airhead from a fellow Hi-Fier at (what I feel is) a good price.

This is a semi-portable rig -- I commute to school, and I want good sound while I'm in noisy Campus Center, and maybe even on the bus. I do not want in-ear 'phones. I use a pair of Sony MDR-EX70s that are uncomfortable.

Some types of music I listen to are: rock, classic rock, electronica, video-game music (mainly symphonic stuff, however), and CLASSICAL [which is most of what I do].

I'm not a basshead, but I don't like bass that is hollow and lifeless.

I know there are other threads about this kind of stuff, but many of them are geared towards un-amped sound right out of the iPod headphone jack...

I'm looking now to spend $90 or less [with shipping] on a decent pair of open or closed cans. Closed would be nice, but I also want decent sound if I can get it.

Thanks.
600smile.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 16
I'd reccomend looking at some Sennheiser HD280 Pros, they sound good and offer good isolation too. You can get them for $70 to $80 or so.

I don't like my Grado 60s for classical music, bt they are pretty good for rock, and I love their bass (Tight, has good impact, although it isn't as deep as my Senn HD600s).

If you can find them, I'd reccomend giving the Phillips HP890s a strong consideration, they are exceptional headphones that can be had for $100 or so, I think.

Sep 25, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 16
I personally prefer the sound of the (open) Sennheiser HD 497 to the (closed) HD 280 Pro. The latter are studio monitors, and as such are a bit too "sterile" for me. Grado's are also very good, but not very good for portable use, IMO, due to their extremely open nature and thick, unweildy cord.

Sep 25, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
If you can find them, I'd reccomend giving the Phillips HP890s a strong consideration, they are exceptional headphones that can be had for $100 or so, I think. [/B]

$115 from Meier-Audio is the cheapest I can find, so that's a bit out of my price range right now.
frown.gif

Sep 25, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 16
I can't help but recommend the Sennheiser PX200.

Very portable.

Within your budget. Should be able to find them for $50 or less.

Sealed so as not to let out sound when in public and do a fairly good job of muffling outside noise.

Comfortable

Good sound although some have complained about the bass being shy. However, usually with the proper placement (and some claim a fair amount of burn in) most people are happy with the bass. They have a sweet midrange sound that works really well with rock, especially guitars and male vocals.

These are my second favorite portable cans, right behind my Shure E2s, but you said you don't want in ear phones so those are not for you. They are so light and comfortable I sometimes use them on my computer when I plan on being on for a long time.

Sep 25, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 16
I'd second the HD-280s except that I sure as heck wouldn't want to lug them (and their huge, coiled cord) around with me all the time! Try the PX-200s, they're extremely versatile (classical to rock) and have a bit more refined sound than most similar portable lightweight cans.

--Chris

Sep 27, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 16
What is everyone's opinion on the Sony MDR-V700DJ cans? I just heard them, and for whatever reason, I want them. They sound (to my ear) good, and they're comfy with the pads replaced.

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by shymog
What is everyone's opinion on the Sony MDR-V700DJ cans? I just heard them, and for whatever reason, I want them. They sound (to my ear) good, and they're comfy with the pads replaced.

Uhh... lets just say that they aren't thought of very highly here... try the Sennheiser HD212 Pro's (which are less than half the price) if you want something that sounds better...

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Uhh... lets just say that they aren't thought of very highly here... try the Sennheiser HD212 Pro's (which are less than half the price) if you want something that sounds better...

I've heard the 212s and they make my ears bleed. The highs sound like I'm squeezing the life out of some poor mouse or something.
frown.gif

Are the Senn 280s better or worse than the V700DJ?

I mean, I've read the V700s are muddy... would the Senn280s still have decent highs and enough "boom" to the bass to sound good?

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

I've heard the 212s and they make my ears bleed. The highs sound like I'm squeezing the life out of some poor mouse or something.
frown.gif

I mean, I've read the V700s are muddy... would the Senn280s still have decent highs and enough "boom" to the bass to sound good?

the senn 280's are pretty bass weak, but the highs are crystal clear...to me the highs were far more pleasant on the senn 280's than my Sony V-6's

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 16
I suggest (and use) Eggos. Small, foldable, detailed and none of that bloated bass.

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 16
shymog, Welcome to Head-Fi. I would recommend a pair of Grado SR80s. They sound great with my iPod 1st gen and META42, or unamped for that matter. They come with a 1/8" connector and a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter. You are sure to get a pair within your range. Just do a froogle search for SR80. They do have comfort issues which you can solve with various pads. I use the reverse pad mod (switch the bowl pad around). I've also ordered a pair of flat pads that I hope to be less fatiguing also.

Sep 27, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 16
I received my Xin SuperMini amp today, and even with minimal breakin, they made the iPod sound good for the first time with my Grado SR-125s. Without an amp, the iPod has sounded bad to me, with bright, whitish, compressed highs and an edge to the midrange. This was largely eliminated using the Xin amp. It takes the iPod from "unacceptable" to "pretty darn good" to my ears.

The Grados sound fine in this combo, which surprised me because, prior to the portable amp, I had almost written off Grados as well as iPods. My iRiver SlimX 550 sounds pretty good direct to the Grados, given there is no amplifier, but there are definite problems that the Xin amp resolves. But I agree that the cord is a bit of a pain.

I'm interested in trying Etys or other smaller headphones for this kind of use. So, I'll go back to lurking the thread.

Sep 27, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

frown.gif

What you're looking for is slightly emphasized mid-bass response and slightly laid-back highs. Unfortunately, the Sony V700DJ also overboosts the lower mids, resulting in muddy sound - and the very uneven and laid-back treble on the V700DJ only makes matters worse. But the Senn280s aren't quite what you're looking for, either; the mid-bass response is, if anything, somewhat recessed. The other Sony V### series 'phones suffer from varying degrees of lower-midrange bloat, as well.

The only headphones that meet your preferences of slightly emphasized mid-bass and slightly recessed highs (but not much lower-midrange bloat) tend to be open-air headphones, such as the Koss Porta Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back