Best headphone for heavy metal/dubstep for 300 dollars or less?
Feb 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 19
Saw that someone almost posted about Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii 's...they work great for portable for sure but they sound great amped and run thru my home system too.  Really fast and rich bass for fast metal and punk - soundstage isn't their forte but that's not typically the strength of metal and punk recordings either.  These are some sweet cans and seem made for the more aggressive stuff.
ps. found easily for under $200 too...

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 19
Dubstep and metal have pretty much polar opposite needs when it comes to headphones. Dubstep likes the U shaped strong highs and lows headphones, while metal likes the strong mids headphones. So I'd look at something that was more balanced with some added bass hump (which is usually popular).
In my experience, Denons are better all-rounders than Ultrasone (this is comparing the Pro 750 to the D7000). Ultrasone will give you much more subbass (if you're big into that, definitely the most popular type of bass), but won't be that great for metal (mids are quite recessed). Denons will give you more subbass (which is lower than subbass, and a bit less common in music because of how popular midbass is), and will be plenty good for metal as well. Modded Fostex T50rp's tuned towards mids make some great metal-only headphones. My Rastapants II-M's are fantastic with metal, but very specialized. For another well known mids headphone, you may want to take a look at Grado. I don't have one, but you might as well keep it in mind if you ever want a metal-specific headphone in the future, I've heard good things. :)

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
Dubstep and metal have pretty much polar opposite needs when it comes to headphones. Dubstep likes the U shaped strong highs and lows headphones, while metal likes the strong mids headphones. So I'd look at something that was more balanced with some added bass hump (which is usually popular).
In my experience, Denons are better all-rounders than Ultrasone (this is comparing the Pro 750 to the D7000). Ultrasone will give you much more subbass (if you're big into that, definitely the most popular type of bass), but won't be that great for metal (mids are quite recessed). Denons will give you more subbass (which is lower than subbass, and a bit less common in music because of how popular midbass is), and will be plenty good for metal as well. Modded Fostex T50rp's tuned towards mids make some great metal-only headphones. My Rastapants II-M's are fantastic with metal, but very specialized. For another well known mids headphone, you may want to take a look at Grado. I don't have one, but you might as well keep it in mind if you ever want a metal-specific headphone in the future, I've heard good things. :)

Grados are great for metal, but they don't have the low-end extension and power to convey dubstep very well.  Between the Pro 900 and D5000 (which should be very similar to the D2000), I prefer the Pro 900 a little bit for these genres, though both are excellent choices.  My reasons are that their sub-bass quantity is very similar, but the extra mid-bass is very beneficial, especially for metal, with the frequent emphasis on down-tuned guitars, and Ultrasones are more "in-your-face," exciting, and involving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back