Best headphone for heavy metal/dubstep for 300 dollars or less?
Feb 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TheSilverCrow

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I listen to a lot of metal and dubstep (but I listen to metal more).

So, does anybody have any suggestions for headphones that are 300 dollars or less that is good for both of these genres?

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 19
Denon AH-D 2000... easy to amp and fit's to almost anything... among the only headphones which actually wubwuwub...
also I detest your choice of "music", but these headphones are actually great and will definitely please you.

No kidding, they are great... also great for classic, lol (it's true...)

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Denon AH-D 2000... easy to amp and fit's to almost anything... among the only headphones which actually wubwuwub...
also I detest your choice of "music", but these headphones are actually great and will definitely please you.

No kidding, they are great... also great for classic, lol (it's true...)

The denons are great but I would also look at the ultrasone pro 900's. The denons have a better quality bass but the pro900's will fit your music preference. Not saying the bass of the pro900's isn't of good quality, because it is, but not as good as the denons.
Are you planing on using these in public?
What will you be driving them with?

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Eh, i do listen to some mozart,Beethoven and jazz once in awhile.

Quote:
Not using these in public, home audio. Might be getting a Fiio E11.

Given this, I would say that you will appreciate the denons more in the long run. One con of the denons compared with the ultrasones is that the denons don't isolate all that well, but if this mostly for home use, I don't see that being a problem for you.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 19
What about the HD25? A member here with similar tastes to you like them too. I personally think the HD25 is great for dubstep. I don't listen to metal though.

Never mind, just read that it's for home use

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:

Hmmm... I don't do much metal- although I think the M80 would be an excellent fit the same way it is with dubstep.  However, I would probably stay away from classical (or jazz) with the 'MODAs.

Quote:
Not using these in public, home audio. Might be getting a Fiio E11.

One of the upsides of the M80 is its efficiency and size.  But if you're going to run an amp and aren't particularly worried about portability, then there are other choices (tons!).

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:

I personally wouldn't recommend the V-Modas after listening to some Jazz with my stepbrother's pair (no excessive testing here, only quick opinion).

I own the Ultrasone Pro900 and I do feel that they do an amazing job with many music styles I like (Heavy Metal, Death Metal, "Clubstep", Dubstep, Jazz, Classical etc.) when used with 320k mp3s or loseless only (truly unforgiving of low quality recordings). They tend to make the highs and lows feel alive (emphasized and good soundstage thanks to S-Logic).
I'd love to test the Denon's D2000 someday, read around and you'll see that they often get recommended for your music preferences. Often Pro900 vs D2000.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Ah crap, im in a deadlock between pro900 and d2000. Though i must say, Where did you get that Fiio E17?

Sorry I can't help much since I know nothing about the D2000 personnally but you can try to PM Jibbie who started the Ultrasone Pro900 Apreciation Thread (read the first pages) and then switched to the D2000 and compared both.

I got my amp here : http://www.headphonebar.com/fiio-e17-alpen/
Careful, for Canadian's only :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back