Best headphone for Computer listening
Sep 18, 2005 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ambro

New Head-Fier
hey audiolovers

this year i'm going to college and my music source will be my PC !
I want the best sound for my ears and the best headphones that go with my PC !
My budget is around 200 - 250 $ !

Any recommendations ? ( I was considering a Senn HD-600 )

thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 28
is Indigo basically the best lappy sound card avalible? I have been thinking about The Audigy Zs2, it was down to 65 bucks the other day

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
is Indigo basically the best lappy sound card avalible? I have been thinking about The Audigy Zs2, it was down to 65 bucks the other day

Yeah, I've tried and own both, and the Audigy is no match for the Indigo. Maybe some Audigy cards will be preferable if you need surround sound, but for pure stereo music, the Indigo is quite awesome (pair it with Foobar2k and Kernel Streaming). Most relevant for this forum, it comes with a built-in headphone amp. Though it's a small one, it makes a noticeable difference. Very convenient and high quality for the price.

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
K240s amp with a pimeta or govibe

Is there any reason for that? I don't quite understand the requirement of "Computer Listenning" to be honest. I am thinking of getting the Grados (not decided which), but will also be using it with my PC at least 70% of the time (remaining will be with a portable player). But I wouldn't think thats too relevant, at least compared to the type of music I listen to..

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
Is there any reason for that? I don't quite understand the requirement of "Computer Listenning" to be honest. I am thinking of getting the Grados (not decided which), but will also be using it with my PC at least 70% of the time (remaining will be with a portable player). But I wouldn't think thats too relevant, at least compared to the type of music I listen to..

I guess it dependinds on your sound card capabilities. The K240s sounds muddy under-amped IMHO. Although my T40 has a robust enough headphone out.

Garrett

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 28
i actually like my k-240m for my computer. they are stupid high impedance, so when you get an aim "chime" you dont blast your ears after thoughtlesly raising the system volume to make an mp3 louder. these play well with system volume MAXED on my computer.

something else which is nice about the k-240 series is they are semi-sealed, and provide a wee bit of isolation. they are also just generally nice headphones.

Sep 19, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 28
The thing is, the K-240 was never on my radar. I don't even know what they are
eek.gif
Maybe I've not been reading enough..

@ Krammer: You have the MS2 if I am not mistaken? I'll be looking forword for your HF-1 impression if thats the case
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
The thing is, the K-240 was never on my radar. I don't even know what they are
eek.gif
Maybe I've not been reading enough..

@ Krammer: You have the MS2 if I am not mistaken? I'll be looking forword for your HF-1 impression if thats the case
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 28
HD600 is an excellent pair of phones, but you will need a descent amp to run its fullest potential. Practically speaking, it deserve a really powerful amp to sound really good. If you don't planning on buying a dedicated headphone amp, you may be better off looking else where. You can take a look at Audio Technica ATH-A900 from audio cubes (see our sponsor list above) where it sounds pretty darn good without amp and cost around $200 USD.

Grado SR-225 or HF-1 might be another descent choice (although I haven't heard HF-1 yet).

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 28
I second the A900 response. Out of the headphones I've used in the price range given...

DT880 - Needs amp.
A900 - Great all around. I love the A500. I spent a few hours with the A900. Even better.
K271S - Fun, but not great all around. Amped for best results.
HD595 - A900 and even the A500 wins over it unamped.
SR225 - Great phone. I only used it for a few minutes. Needs amp to have fun. Not great all around for computer use.

Edit: Oh yeah, how could I forget the DT770.
tongue.gif
Great rock headphones? Unamped is surprisingly decent. A900 is more balanced though.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back