Best Headphone for Classical Music
Apr 1, 2016 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ikkx

New Head-Fier
Hello, I currently have the Fidelio X2 (purchased after hearing all the rave about them, woox), but they sound more bass boosted than I'd like, I don't usually listen to music with much bass in it. I have Geek Pulse (standard version) DAC as well. Can you recommend the best headphone for classical/contemporary classical music and vocals. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 9
  what about HD600, DT880?

They are pretty neutral, but I never had those so I can't say.

From my opinion, you need big soundstage for classical music. From what I've read, DT880's soundstage is ok, and HD600 is smaller, 701s are bigger than both but has hollowness, HD800 is the best option. Of course, if you have the amplifiers, go for an AKG K1000 or a Stax Sigmas.

Also I don't think dacs will change that much in terms of sound quality. I think you should get headphones first, then amplifier, and in the end the dacs. Judge by yourself. I ordered a mojo couple days ago, and returned it because I like my modi better.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 9

They are pretty neutral, but I never had those so I can't say.

From my opinion, you need big soundstage for classical music. From what I've read, DT880's soundstage is ok, and HD600 is smaller, 701s are bigger than both but has hollowness, HD800 is the best option. Of course, if you have the amplifiers, go for an AKG K1000 or a Stax Sigmas.

Also I don't think dacs will change that much in terms of sound quality. I think you should get headphones first, then amplifier, and in the end the dacs. Judge by yourself. I ordered a mojo couple days ago, and returned it because I like my modi better.

what about HD 598? I hear a lot of people talking about how it's good for classical music. I think I'll be reselling the geek pulse, i bought it cause it's also a amp.  

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 9
  what about HD 598? I hear a lot of people talking about how it's good for classical music. I think I'll be reselling the geek pulse, i bought it cause it's also a amp.  

You pay for what you get. HD 598 is good, for under $200, but that's it. I only like them for how comfortable they are. However sound quality wise, they are no match for the 701s or HD600s (I assume from what I've read).

The thing is, you always want to get better sound qualities, so you upgrade one by one, and eventually this route cost you more.

I suggest you to buy a HD800, because I'm selling mine and nobody buys it 
cool.gif
 No, just kidding. They are one of the best dynamic headphones. I am selling them because I own way too many headphones and I don't have a good amp for the HD800 particularly.

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't necessarily think soundstage is the biggest indicator for a great classical music listening experience. It definitely helps though. I've owned the HD600 and can say that the Q701 has the balance for classical recordings. Where the warmth of the HD600 trumphs the Q701/k701 in vocal recordings/rock, it also sounds a bit dull for instruments. The AKGs give a quickness of sound to instruments which is more obvious to hear than the Sennheisers. I haven't heard the DT880 but people have also said that's a good headphone for classical recordings.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 9
  I don't necessarily think soundstage is the biggest indicator for a great classical music listening experience. It definitely helps though. I've owned the HD600 and can say that the Q701 has the balance for classical recordings. Where the warmth of the HD600 trumphs the Q701/k701 in vocal recordings/rock, it also sounds a bit dull for instruments. The AKGs give a quickness of sound to instruments which is more obvious to hear than the Sennheisers. I haven't heard the DT880 but people have also said that's a good headphone for classical recordings.

what about the hifimans?

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Was just listening to the von Karajan La Scala Verdi Requiem with Pavarotti and Price and I must say, it sounds breathtaking on my HE400S. I can definitely recommend at least that HiFiMAN for classical and vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back