Best headphone for Classical. Any Price
Nov 7, 2004 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new headphone to use exclusively for classical music. I am mainly interested in piano and classical guitar, but I want it to perform well all the way up to symphonies.

I want to work around one of the following things:

First, and preferably, I would like to work around my HP-4 amp. Please recommend a good classical headphone for use with this amp.

Or second, I have a pair of Omega 2s sitting around that were never paired with a Kgss that I could use. How are the Omega2s with classical? If the Omega2s are great for classical I would consider just purchasing an amp.

Also, I already tried the search function... I seemed to remember a few threads of similar nature, though every thread I found had a strict budget.

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 24
All of the truly super high end headphones will most likely be hable to handle every genre extremely well. It really depends on what kind of sound you want. It seems most think the electros (Senn HE90s and Omega IIs) are the best analytical headphones. Bringing out every last detail. Some find them too cold/soul-less and prefer the punch of dynamics. In which case the Sony MDR-R10s are widely considered the kings. Though the Sony Qualias are supposed to have the analytical powers of the electros in a dynamic package.

The HE90s and R10s are both OOP and extremely difficult to find. The R10s, if you could find any, would run you $4000+ new. The HE90s around $6000. The Qualias are new and around $2800, though i get the feeling they're a real disappointment to some people...

So, considering you already have some Omegas, which are widely considered one of the best HPs available, i'd highly suggest you just find an amp to run them. Omega makes their own electro amp called the 007t. You can either get that or check around to find an even better electro amp.

Stax 007t amp at Audiocubes

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 24
So why don't you buy an Orpheus. It's price is ridiculously low now. If I'd prefer classical, that would be my first choice for sure. I havn't heard one but opinions of other people are too convincing.

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorg
It's price is ridiculously low now.

Really? Where?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
All of the truly super high end headphones will most likely be hable to handle every genre extremely well. It really depends on what kind of sound you want. It seems most think the electros (Senn HE90s and Omega IIs) are the best analytical headphones. Bringing out every last detail. Some find them too cold/soul-less and prefer the punch of dynamics. In which case the Sony MDR-R10s are widely considered the kings. Though the Sony Qualias are supposed to have the analytical powers of the electros in a dynamic package.

The HE90s and R10s are both OOP and extremely difficult to find. The R10s, if you could find any, would run you $4000+ new. The HE90s around $6000. The Qualias are new and around $2800, though i get the feeling they're a real disappointment to some people...

So, considering you already have some Omegas, which are widely considered one of the best HPs available, i'd highly suggest you just find an amp to run them. Omega makes their own electro amp called the 007t. You can either get that or check around to find an even better electro amp.

Stax 007t amp at Audiocubes

Where did you find HE90 for 6000$?
blink.gif

A local Sennheiser diller in Russia has HE90+HEV90 for 5000$ and waiting period is about 3 months.

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Where did you find HE90 for 6000$?
blink.gif

A local Sennheiser diller in Russia has HE90+HEV90 for 5000$ and waiting period is about 3 months.

It was in some link posted a a little while back. I don't remember where it was. But if you notice the price of headphones in some countries are alot more/less in others. The Stax system over here is $6000. While Japanese exporters like Audiocubes has them for $3000. It's the same story with the R10s. Maybe the Orpheus/HE90s are alot cheaper elsewhere. But in know of people here that have paid over $10,000 for the Orpheus system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
It was in some link posted a a little while back. I don't remember where it was. But if you notice the price of headphones in some countries are alot more/less in others. The Stax system over here is $6000. While Japanese exporters like Audiocubes has them for $3000. It's the same story with the R10s. Maybe the Orpheus/HE90s are alot cheaper elsewhere. But in know of people here that have paid over $10,000 for the Orpheus system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I know someone who bought it for retail price but I thoght there is a tendency of lowering prcice on it since noone buys it
biggrin.gif

BTW if you contact Koji of EIFL Co. www.eifl.co.jp you could find that Audiocube's price is still high
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Yeah I know someone who bought it for retail price but I thoght there is a tendency of lowering prcice on it since noone buys it
biggrin.gif

BTW if you contact Koji of EIFL Co. www.eifl.co.jp you could find that Audiocube's price is still high
wink.gif

If there has been a lowered price over here, i haven't seen them.

Yeah, he seems to sell that stuff the cheapest and maybe the guy's best bet. I didn't know he had the Omegas though...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyEPoD
Or second, I have a pair of Omega 2s sitting around that were never paired with a Kgss that I could use. How are the Omega2s with classical? If the Omega2s are great for classical I would consider just purchasing an amp.

Will, I think classical music is where the Omega 2s really shine. The Stax is really good with instrument seperation and ambient details (soundstage) of acoustic music, which is essential for good classical music reproduction. Bass detail and midrange transparency further set the Omegas apart from the competition for me. I like how darth nut describes the Omega 2 bass as "luxurious." That is exactly how I feel about them.

Another option for you is to get a pair of HD-650's or Grado HP-1000s to pair with the HP-4. The Qualia may be an option if it sounds similar to the R-10 in the soundstage department. The R-10s are really good with classical due to their lushness and large soundstage, but since you already have the Omega 2s I would stick with those.

The best electrostatic amp to get at a relatively reasonable price is the standard Headamp KGSS. I am extremely pleased with the performance and quality of Justin's work. If you are feeling saucy, maybe you would prefer to get the $500 Black Gate power supply cap upgrade.

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 24
Another competitor are the AKG K1000s.
Extraordinary soundstage.
The cans themselfes are relatively cheap, but proper amplification in order to let them really shine (and to get decent bass) is expensive.

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 24
Thanks for the suggestions. I am considering an amp for the Omega2s. I havn't been on much lately and I hadn't realized how much the prices had changed for Gilmore DIY amps.

I think my first choice would probably be the R10s, but I suspect that these will be very hard to find under 3k. I may look into these a little further, but atm a gilmore amp for the Omegas seems to be the quickest solution.

Lastly, I have always been interested in the K1000s but have been put off by the need for a special amp and the wacky form factor. They seem to be growing in popularity lately and maybe its time to give them a try. What amp would you recommend for these?

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 24
The few times I listened to electrostatic headphones I found them to be very enjoyable, however, music especially classical did not sound like a live performance. It was as if the headphones did something to the sound which made it sound a bit off, pleasing to the ear but off.

If I were to pick a pair of headphones it would be the R10's at the high end and the Senn 600's at a more moderately priced level. Both of these provide very accurate renditions of classical music.

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyEPoD
Thanks for the suggestions. I am considering an amp for the Omega2s. I havn't been on much lately and I hadn't realized how much the prices had changed for Gilmore DIY amps.

I think my first choice would probably be the R10s, but I suspect that these will be very hard to find under 3k. I may look into these a little further, but atm a gilmore amp for the Omegas seems to be the quickest solution.

Lastly, I have always been interested in the K1000s but have been put off by the need for a special amp and the wacky form factor. They seem to be growing in popularity lately and maybe its time to give them a try. What amp would you recommend for these?

Considering you already have the Omegas i think most would feel those are your best choice. A bird in the hand and all that. Especially since they're considered among the absolute best.

The R10s are extremely hard to find and there's way too much demand for them so prices are outrageous. The only places i know that has them in stock (Audio Advancements and Ziccardis) are asking the full $4250 for them. I *MAY* get a pair in from Amazon. If i do i'll definitely put them up on here for sale. They're scheduled to ship between Nov. 9-23. Whether they will or not is another thing completely. Nobody is sure what the whole Amazon/R10 thing was about (officially). Some doubt they ever even had any at all. But atleast 4 people have recieved order cancellation emails and i haven't so it's possible that the first few orders went through.

As far as the K1000s, the Grace 901 (and perhaps future 902) seem to be the popular choice to drive them. If you want to spend major bucks, something like the EAR V20 would probably be best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
The few times I listened to electrostatic headphones I found them to be very enjoyable, however, music especially classical did not sound like a live performance. It was as if the headphones did something to the sound which made it sound a bit off, pleasing to the ear but off.

That's the main complaint with electros. They seem to lack that certain soul. Like they're so busy letting you hear everything in the music they forget to make you FEEL the music. It seems people think they lack that visceral impact of dynamics.

It's a very simular situation with guitar pickups/amps. Do you want something that produces every sound uber-accurately or do you want something that comes close but also gives you that tingly feeling? There's not right or wrong answer, it's just personal preference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 24
Any price? I would go for the B&W Nautilus 800.

Actually I am serious. I have trouble listening to classical music on headphones. I tend to visualize what I am hearing. Although there is plenty of empty space in my head for jazz and pop ensembles, I have trouble keeping a full orchestra organized. A good speaker system with a killer image takes care of the organizing.

This fits nicely with another aspect of headphones: with current technology they can only do so much. At some price point (around 1 K$ for me) speakers start making more sense.

Sorry to stray from the path, but I have to think out of the box. I am claustrophobic
tongue.gif

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back