Best Headphone for around 30 bucks.
May 23, 2004 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought the PortaPro2 from circuit city. They were 40 bucks and i figured this was a great price considering the PortaPro's went for about 30 bucks and I thought these were an upgraded version. Unfortunately these should be called PortaProLite since they are missing the tension control feature. The only upgrade is the look which is nice but non-functional.

Anyway I was looking into buying a set of headphones to compliment my Grado's and my E3's. The grado's are for home listening. The shure's are for portable, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for a canal phone. Can anyone recommend a headphone with good sound like portapro's. The only requirements are:

1. Good sound, good bass
2. Price should be around 30 bucks.
3. Comfortable
4. Should not let sound out (the porta pro's are open and leaked too much sound!)

I have heard good things about the Senn PX200, is there anything comparable? Where will I find a good deal on it.

Thanks guys.

P.S. please respond quick, im leaving to china for a month in 6 days and wanna order asap!

May 23, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 12
Actually, had Circuit City carried the original PortaPros, they would have been priced at the full $50 price. Thus, the $40 price of the PortaPro2s would reflect accurately on the features that they're missing. After all, the PortaPro2s are not an upgrade from the original PortaPros -- but they're actually an updated successor to the PortaProJr.'s.

May 23, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 12
damn i remember the px200's sold for like 30 bucks at ecost. anything like that now? im not looking for perfect sound, just the best at the price range. perhaps something sold at bestbuy/circuit city? I'm returning these portapro's tomorrow at CC so that would be convenient.

May 23, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 12
$36 for Sony MDR CD-380. These are really comfy and surprisingly musical and involving. I used these for a few days when I swapped a friend my AKG K240S for them in a headphone exchange program. For those days, I realized that the 380's weren't the K240S, but I was enjoying the CD-380's so much for movies and all musical genres that I didn't miss the K240S's.

May 24, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 12
portapro1 from amazon.com for $38?
or
px100 for $36

i dont know, there just arent anyway good onw we know of for such a low price. someone have to start trying the ones from other underdogs brands.

May 25, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 12
Before I got spoiled with my HD 580s, SR 225s, and E3c's, I used "Pro 35 Ti" headphones from RadioShack. They are manufactured by Koss. They retail for $40, but I always bought them on sale for $20. I always thought they sounded great, for cheap headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back