best headphone,earcannel,earbud for portable use
Jul 15, 2002 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI all: I was woundering what you members think is the best listing headphone or anyother listing thing for portable use and a portable amp counts with them. the cost should be under 100.00 and be very portable for portable stuff.

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi,
How about the E888? I used to own the mx500, but prefered a better details on the 888. The 888 will rock if you have a good source.

Purk

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 9
williamgoody
HI: the very best potrable can that I have found for under 100.00 are the koss-35. Now for 300.00 I find the er-4p more accuate and more detail and just better sounding but not 8 or 9 times better. I still find that the koss 35 to be a great earphone at 35.00 and even though I have the er-4p I still use the 35 at times because I think that it has better bass, a bigger sound stage and just as accurate. I juat did an a/b with my koss-35 and er-4p on my main rig and I find the koss 35 to sound better than the er-4p and yes they are bkoke in and I have a great seal. With no music playing I can hear my pluse I guess it beating in my ear. I played internal flame and am amazed that the 35s sound I think better than the er-4p. So I am sending the er-4p back to headroom tomorrow. Just look at these koss 35. They sound great, need no seal, dont go in my earcannel and cause any preassure in my ear, and if need to can just take one off to talk to someone or answer the phone and can hear it ring with the music playing. I mean no afense to anyone who likes the etys but I think they are over rated and like zombies we buy them because they are the new fad. I will put my koss 35s up against anyone with the er-4p and even bet money that the 35s are a better sounding can and way more convenant to use. I wish headroom had a chart on the 35 and the er-4p and even then in my experance would over ride the chart and keep my koss-35 as my best portable earphone.

Jul 18, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 9
Hey, sounds good to me. I liked the ksc 50's alot as well. I feel they gave me excellent well rounded sound. I wasn't a fan of the ear clip design though. The ety's just do it for me though. The ear canal design is definitely not for everyone, as I need to get a little more used to it as well. But I really love and appreciate how the music takes on an intimacy of it's own with them. To me, that intimacy is huge and adds to the value for me, to the point I listen to my Ipod and MD even more now. But I agree, for the sound and convenience, it's hard to beat the ksc 35's (or 50's in my case)for the money. Way more bang for the buck. So long as you like it LTUCCI, that should be the bottom line.

Purk, what primarily due you use as your source for the e888's?

Jul 20, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 9
Williamsgoody,
I use the 888 with a highend md and cd players. The 888 will sound thin and lifeless with the newer Sony mds. However, the 888 will come to life with the older sharp md player.
The 888 works very good with Sony d-303, and d-515. As of MD, Sharp Md-ss323, and Sharp MT-831. I prefered a bit of bassy music.

Purk

It works well with d-777 and d-905 too.

Jul 20, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

I will put my koss 35s up against anyone with the er-4p and even bet money that the 35s are a better sounding can...

I have both the KSC-35 and the ER4P, Lou. To my ears, even though the Koss are great sounding 'phones, and phenomenal sounding when you factor in the price, I don't feel they are in the same league soundwise as the Etys. The Etys are neutral, utterly revealing, and extremely musical, all at the same time. That is no mean feat. The Ety 4 series , for my money, is the best damned portable headphone out there. Just my opinion of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 9
joelongwood
HI: You are right I was just pissed at the er-4p at the time and just mouth off. I should have said the er-6.

Jul 21, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Hmmm, if you can stretch the budget a bit, er-6s. If not, e888s or mx500s.

Also, CONSIDER the sony ex70s. Make sure you can return them if you get them. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back