Best headphone amp you have ever heard, and why.
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

OnlySoMany

500+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. Cost no object. Expensive or cheap. I'd love to hear all your impressions and thoughts.

My personal choice is the Viva Egoista 845. It has a naturalness with clarity, but doesn't exclude the emotional response. High or low impedance, it doesn't seem to care. Second place is the DNA Stratus. It has a delightful, delicate nature I've yet to hear in another amp.

Heard good things about the nipple amp and also that crazy $100k thing FROM CanJam NY.

Let's hear it. (pun?)

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 21
The Topping A70Pro by far. It's transparent, but the dynamics like distinctive drum hits and soundstage is realistic. I've had dozens of amplifiers and currently have five high end ones. Only the SP400 with M400 I have is this engaging. Several headphones now sound so much better I'm keeping them unread of selling them. The DL200 is a 5 volt DAC that sounds flawless for $200 and the A70Pro fits exactly on top of it. Also it doesn't get hit or even warm, despite having virtually unlimited power on the balanced side.

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 21
Wa33 elite edition with upgrade tubes. Felix envy also at this level, your choice both winner of the chicken dinner

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 21
McIntosh MHA-200. Close second is Ray Samuels Emmeline II "The Raptor." Great midrange on the McIntosh and a nice warm lush tubey sound on The Raptor.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 21
Riviera aic-10
woo audio Wa33 jps elite
Ampsandsound red october
Masskobo 465

All amazing all different to each other

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 21
Riviera aic-10
woo audio Wa33 jps elite
Ampsandsound red october
Masskobo 465

All amazing all different to each other
Why? What did you like about each one?

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 21
Related, what's the best solid state HP amp you've heard.

Ones I've heard:

Zahl - meh, especially at that price, though its controls were cool.
Chord Anni - smeary garbage
All the Toppings I've heard - nasty, bitey, just plain unpleasant. Can't listen at highish level for more than a few minutes without getting a headache.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 21
Related, what's the best solid state HP amp you've heard.

Ones I've heard:

Zahl - meh, especially at that price, though its controls were cool.
Chord Anni - smeary garbage
All the Toppings I've heard - nasty, bitey, just plain unpleasant. Can't listen at highish level for more than a few minutes without getting a headache.
For me, I'd have to say the Enleum 23r and the Niimbus Us4+. Enleum was extremely accurate and crisp. Niimbus was weighty and full.

I have not heard any truly high end ss amps above 9 to 10k. At that point I think premium tube amps take over.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 21
Finally someone says it. That's how these devices sounded to me. Be it the Topping DACs or the Topping amps. They all had really artificial treble with a glare in the sound. The resolution didnt impressed me at all.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 21
Finally someone says it. That's how these devices sounded to me. Be it the Topping DACs or the Topping amps. They all had really artificial treble with a glare in the sound. The resolution didnt impressed me at all.
I have never owned any Topping products, but I have been hesitant to purchase one. In my personal audio journey, I have always found that companies that overly focus on measurements tend to sound stale, boring, and overly analytical. While some may like that sound signature, I find it tiring.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 21
For me, I'd have to say the Enleum 23r and the Niimbus Us4+. Enleum was extremely accurate and crisp. Niimbus was weighty and full.

I have not heard any truly high end ss amps above 9 to 10k. At that point I think premium tube amps take over.
Don't forget amir at asr says topping is the best thing ever.

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 21
I haven't heard many dedicated headphone amps, but an infinite amount of integrated hp-outs, those do differ. A lot.

Anyway, my current "best" results is with my cheap chinese SMSL SH-6. It has a lot more power than any integrated solution and it sounds enjoyable enough with all my headphones. One thing that makes the sound stand out from any integrated solutions, except sheer volume levels, is that the Sennheiser HD600 sounds deep and powerful in the bass and has no overly bright treble which is not always the case with those cans. The SH-6 easily drives my planar HE400S to ear deafening levels and with no apparent distorsion. 250 Ohm Beyers also sounds really good. This amp do not make the impression of being a bottleneck as far as I can hear.

I could possibly get even better results with a more expensive solution, but frankly it already sounds pretty good. I can't really imagine what the benefit would be :)

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 21
Amir is paid by Topping and SMSL. A story came out about this a couple years ago.

I have not seen that story, do link if you find it.

Anyway, all those chinese brands from Shenzhen generally seems to perform rather good, not only on audiosciencereview but most other sites as well. In particular featuring very high power output/$.

However, even if I own one of the suspects in the form of a SMSL and one of the lower end models I wouldn't exactly trust the longterm reliability of any of these. I will be happy for the time I get, mine has been running since the second half of 2022 will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back