Best Headphone + amp setup (hopefully below $400)
Jul 22, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Alright. Just the info I needed.

How does the CD3k handle stuff like radiohead, compared to the E5c. Is the CD3k in a completely different league for that type of music.

Thanks.

I've owned both the CD3k and the E5 and I can tell you that they are very different. I did feel as if the CD3K sound was more to my liking but obviously they are not portable so I opted for an E5. Both sound very good. The soundstage is gigantic with the CD3K. Radiohead is probably my favorite band because OK Computer is my favorite modern day album and I can tell you it sounds awesome. If you ever have been to a Radiohead concert, you know how much Thom Yorke and gang tries to make everything perfect technically. They are about musicality and the Sony's are very well suited. Shure E5c are very very good but all canalphones suffer from a lack of true hemispherical soundstage. They can make the drums dominant on the right and the guitar on the left but the CD3k can actually project a very realistic sound stage.

Bottom line: Both are very good and you won't be dissappointed in either headphone. Since you want to use your iRiver HD player as your source, I'd recommend the Shure E5c.

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
I've owned both the CD3k and the E5 and I can tell you that they are very different. I did feel as if the CD3K sound was more to my liking but obviously they are not portable so I opted for an E5. Both sound very good. The soundstage is gigantic with the CD3K. Radiohead is probably my favorite band because OK Computer is my favorite modern day album and I can tell you it sounds awesome. If you ever have been to a Radiohead concert, you know how much Thom Yorke and gang tries to make everything perfect technically. They are about musicality and the Sony's are very well suited. Shure E5c are very very good but all canalphones suffer from a lack of true hemispherical soundstage. They can make the drums dominant on the right and the guitar on the left but the CD3k can actually project a very realistic sound stage.

Bottom line: Both are very good and you won't be dissappointed in either headphone. Since you want to use your iRiver HD player as your source, I'd recommend the Shure E5c.

When you say the shure E5c is better, do you mean it is better because of portability, or better because it will sound better in a source like an iRiver and an amp?

I ask this because I am looking for the best sound I can get for home listening, without needing to buy an expensive source (That way keeping my iRiver as source, and buying an amp instead).

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
Well, getting your setup is a process and not an overnight ebay shopping spree. As useful as this forum is, it won't tell you what you like. Also remember that sound cards can only go so far and a dedicated source would be a better approach. Try the sources section of this forum and you will find some information on the type of sound cards that are best. If you want soundstage, try the ATH-900 (200 dollars) or the Sony MDR-CD3000 (250-300 dollars). They both have tremendous soundstage. Though they are a little big.

Where can I get the CD3K for that price? --How is there midrange (I love the shure midrange)?

Jul 23, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #21 of 25
There is a very cheap upgrade you can do for your soundcard. The Chaintech AV710 sells for less than $25 I believe.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #23 of 25
I see you've got those Beyers on the way so I'm thinking your most pressing need will be an amp. I'm tempted to say skip the soundcard altogether and get yourself a Bithead or Total Bithead. See Headroom. Anybody know if those USB amps will adequately drive the 880's?

Jul 23, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #24 of 25
Why no mention of Supermacro V3 or AE-1 by headamp? Are we all living in a Ray Samuels world or something?

Anyway, I'd go for the Shure E5 (no amp) if I was in your position.

I think they offer the best balance of portability and a sound that you will enjoy.

Dual drivers should provide plenty of headroom.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back