Best headphone amp I can get for less than 100$? I mainly listen to music and play games.
Mar 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spypoi

New Head-Fier
I just bought a DT 770 PRO-80 today and I'm unsure of what amp to get.  I'm using it right now without an amp or sound card and would like to use it to its full potential.  Right now I'm looking at the e11.  Any suggestions?  I like music with a decent amount of bass.  This is mostly just for home use.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 7
For that budget you probably don't want just an amp, considering what alternatives cost.  The quality of onboard sound varies a lot, so just in case, you may as well have something else known not to be bad, handling the D/A.  If you just got an amp, you'd still be using the onboard sound for D/A and sending that signal to the amp.  E10 is a USB DAC + amp that would suit your needs, at around $80.

One issue with the E11 is that it can't be used while charging, which would be an annoyance for desktop use.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 7
I think for that price NuForce uDAC2-HP would be the best choice if you need DAC/Amp for desktop or laptop use. I am currently using NuForce uDAC2 with my Ultrasone PRO 900 and it sounds very nice for the price. You can also read some comparisons of the sound of  Fiio and uDAC on headfonia.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
NwAvGuy had a lot of bad things to say about the uDAC-2…

Talking of which, there probably isn't any reason to buy an amp with a DAC. If the only problem the OP has is lack of volume or adequate bass, that says an amp is needed and the DAC is fine. Which is no surprise, because a $50 Sansa Clip has a spectacularly good DAC - decent DAC chips are very cheap these days. So I'd spent my $100 on the best amp I could, which is probably NwAvGuy's open source Objective 2 design. $100 or so should buy a built-up one from a major supplier and it should be in a different league to any Fiio.

(Also, re bass - have you tried downloading a few different audioplayers and playing with their EQ???)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back