Best Headphone + Amp Combo for $600 or Less?
Apr 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

comperic2003

New Head-Fier
Yes, I know this is technically not the appropriate sub-forum for which to ask this question but I do so anyway with intention.  I am hoping to avoid recommendations concerning and/or built upon voodoo and snake oil.

So, with that said, can anyone recommend me a good headphone and amplifier pairing for $600 or less?  Custom IEMs are not out of the question either.

All of my music is played through my desktop PC using Foobar2000.  My soundcard is the standard Realtek HD Audio affair bundled with all basic PCs within the last 2 years.

My musical taste--if that bears any weight in the context of this question--is diverse, ranging from classical to vocal to classical rock to electronic.

Thank you.

May 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 23
If I was you I would expand my budget and buy a set of lcd-2's or he-500's and just drive them from your soundcard.
If you can't stretch your budget I suggest you take a look at the he-4's.
For the amp I would get a fiio e9 and for the dac pretty much any emu product .

May 26, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 23
Firstly, I would recommend against buying a Burson for several reasons:

a) Based on a recent Head-fi thread, it would seem they have been misleading about their USB implementation with their DACs - they claimed asynchronous - it is not.

b) Their magical discrete opamps have high distortion - they fall down flat compared to decent IC opamps.
http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_audio/ic_opamps/pdf/opamp_distortion.pdf
Note with amusement that they measure completely identically to some AudioGD discrete opamps.

For an amp that I'm relatively confident will beat Burson on every measurable level, grab an M^3. It's a DIY job though, so wait for one to come up for a good price on the FS forum if you don't want to build yourself.

As for headphones, without your sound signature preferences it's a bit of a stab in the dark recommending anything. Do you want lots of bass, lots of treble, complete neutrality...?

May 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 23
The Fiio E7 measure quite correctly all across the board, for its low price it has:
- Low THD
- Low IMD
- Low crosstalk
- Excellent Tracking
- Low output impedance...

It's a safe bet when Dac/Amps are concerned.

Headphones are a bit more iffy, it really depends of the type of sound signature you like.
The usual suspects are the HD 650, K701, DT 880, D5000//7000, Z1000, Pro 900

Basically spend as litle as possible to get an amp that doesn't distort and has a low output impedance, and the rest on a pair of headphones.

May 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 23
If you don't mind me hijacking your thread briefly, I was also thinking of asking in this forum about amps, to avoid as much voodoo as possible. The E9 looks like a solid choice of desktop amp, but I'm a little suspicious about Fiio's quoted frequency response of 10Hz to 100kHz as they don't state within how many dB it varies within this range, or what load this is measured at.

Graham Slee seems to be a bit more honest (for want of a better word) with his amp measurements, and I am eyeing up the Novo at the moment. The price difference is very significant, however.

It seems to be incredibly difficult to get to the actual performance statistics of amps in the hifi world - I assume this is deliberate?. 

Once again, sorry for taking over your thread, Comperic. 

May 26, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 23
The e9 has an extremely flat frequency response, the reason it is 10hz-100khz is because it is much easier to make the frequency response curve flat (no roll off) if it extends further than it needs to in either direction.

May 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 23
99.99% of the amps from $10 to $100,000 are flat within 0.5 dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz, it's actually the easiest spec to respect.
What you should care about is the the output impedance, it chhanges the frequency response of the transducer that's connected to the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back