Best Headphone/Amp combo for $400
Apr 9, 2015 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

altaxc

Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am just getting back into high quality audio after paying off college bills so I have enough for a single pair of full size headphones and an amp.  I'm looking to spend around $400 for used equipment.  I had a pair of Westone PRO 30s and am moving away from them because I don't like the dark sound.  I really liked the treble extension grados have.
I'd appreciate suggestions for some combos you veterans think would work well for me.  Also, if you think my money is better spent on a pair of headphones and no amp, that would work too.
Some of the headphones I've been considering
Sennheiser hd 650
Grado 325 is
or any others you might suggest

Please help me out with this decision!
Thanks

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 9
  HD 650s are pretty dark. Did you want closed or open?

AKG K550/3 + Phone + Teac HA-P50 with change left over
Beyer 1350s for on ear portability

I agree and disagree with you on this comment. The HD650s are far from "Dark". It is a very musical headphone with great treble extension.

The part I agree with you is in the context of the OPs question. The HD650 will not have that treble energy found in some Beyers or Grados so OP should look elsewhere. Although I don't think you will be able to find an optimal pairing for the HD650s under $400.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 9

I agree and disagree with you on this comment. The HD650s are far from "Dark". It is a very musical headphone with great treble extension.

The part I agree with you is in the context of the OPs question. The HD650 will not have that treble energy found in some Beyers or Grados so OP should look elsewhere. Although I don't think you will be able to find an optimal pairing for the HD650s under $400.

I agree about the 650's unless you get a really good deal, the phones alone will eat up most of that $400. You could probably do a Schiit Vali and a used HD650 for real close to that though.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 9
I agree about the 650's unless you get a really good deal, the phones alone will eat up most of that $400. You could probably do a Schiit Vali and a used HD650 for real close to that though.

Recently there are a lot of deals around the $300 mark for the HD650. I recently bought a new one on Amazon when they were 290 and couldn't be happier. Far from dark and such a great headphone....

Buy a Magni for another cool 99 or a Vali for 119 and you are set. For the start.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 9
  Hi all,
I am just getting back into high quality audio after paying off college bills so I have enough for a single pair of full size headphones and an amp.  I'm looking to spend around $400 for used equipment.  I had a pair of Westone PRO 30s and am moving away from them because I don't like the dark sound.  I really liked the treble extension grados have.
I'd appreciate suggestions for some combos you veterans think would work well for me.  Also, if you think my money is better spent on a pair of headphones and no amp, that would work too.
Some of the headphones I've been considering
Sennheiser hd 650
Grado 325 is or any others you might suggest

It would help to know what sources your planning on plugging the headphones into?

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 9
  My source will be a laptop with lossless music on it
Also, what do you all think about hifiman he-400 headphones?  Would those fit my needs?

Best to invest the $400 in source and power first! It will make a huge difference :) That's what I did at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back