Best headphone + amp combo för 500$?
Sep 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DasBoot

New Head-Fier
Ok, now it's time to throw away my old ice-mat siberia headphones and get som better gear.

I have 500$ to spend on headphones + amp.

I use it with my x-fi soundcard and i listend to trance, techno, hardstyle. So some bass would be nice but not to much.

I have a nice price on: ProJect HeadBox II + AKG 601 for 430$
headbox.jpg

296_m.jpg

Some other tips or ideas for what i should try and buy?

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Sep 21, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 14
I will mainly use it for music, then in the second hand gaming.
I'm not a bass addict, but some punch bass would be nice. And i would also like to use my x-fi sound-card and put some money on a amp and headphones.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 14
SR325i + 0404USB would be my budget setup of choice (from things I heard).

Maybe the Audio-gd Compass or some cheap tubes but I've not tried that yet.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 14
that's a highly optimistic subjective opinion
smile.gif

what if someone likes a Grado better? Especially with (good 'recorded') electronica I preferred the SR325i over the HD650. Great detail and speed and bass goes low while keeping the tight sound.
Not saying the HD600 is not a great headphone, I love it's brother.

For gaming the HD600 would be the better choice.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 14
For gaming it's going to be tough to beat the soundstage and imaging of the K601 in this price range. For listening to electronica, though, Ultrasones are likely a good bet alongside the AKG.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 14
Ok, HD600 is a better choice than the akg 601? I'm looking @ used market. But it's hard to find here in Sweden now.
frown.gif

Will probably try the akg 601 + ProJect HeadBox II tomorrow.

How much will a usb-dac to do my rigg, if I'm planning to buy one later?

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DasBoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much will a usb-dac to do my rigg, if I'm planning to buy one later?

A good source makes a huge difference. The amp just has to match the headphones.

BTW, asking for advice on headphones is a terrible idea, in my experience. I've heard most of the universally acclaimed headphones, and I can tell you that even at the super high end, there are headphones that I don't like.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good source makes a huge difference. The amp just has to match the headphones.

BTW, asking for advice on headphones is a terrible idea, in my experience. I've heard most of the universally acclaimed headphones, and I can tell you that even at the super high end, there are headphones that I don't like.

Don't worry i wont by any before i have listen to theme.
wink.gif
L3000.gif

But i need some guideline/tips for what i may want. Have loaded my portable source with some good music and will probably do a test runt at one of my local stores.

I will probably go for the amp + headphones now, then a dac later.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 14
I would go for a vintage Stax Lambda.
lambda.gif

Something like an SR-Lambda (Pro) and SRM-1/MK2 Pro, which you with some patience should be able to pick up for ~$500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back