Best headphone amp - as a pre-amp?
Feb 15, 2007 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

4N6

500+ Head-Fier
I am interested in getting a pre-amp/amp for my speaker rig and am curious as to which headphone amp makes the best pre-amp (or visa versa). Headroom Balanced Max, Singlepower Maestro, Cary SLP-05, Ray Samuels B-52, Manley 300B pre - all seeming good choices. Any thoughts? Amps to pair them with? The speakers are ProAc Response 2s.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in getting a pre-amp/amp for my speaker rig and am curious as to which headphone amp makes the best pre-amp (or visa versa). Headroom Balanced Max, Singlepower Maestro, Cary SLP-05, Ray Samuels B-52, Manley 300B pre - all seeming good choices. Any thoughts? Amps to pair them with? The speakers are ProAc Response 2s.

Grace Design M902 is a no brainer for this one.

But if you're looking to spend that kind of money, I wouldn't look past the M904.

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 13
Last weekend I hooked a little Woo 3 up to my amp, and I was pretty impressed by how good it sounded. It temporarily replaced a Pass X1, which is no slouch. Different sound, but the Woo sounded better to my ears with some recordings.

Note that I swapped in the power tube that it shipped with, and much of the magic disappeared.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 13
All the makes you've mentioned would be excellent in terms of performance so it comes down to what features you need. I haven't heard a good headphone amp that didn't sound good as a preamp. How many devices are you thinking of?

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for all of the advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the makes you've mentioned would be excellent in terms of performance so it comes down to what features you need. I haven't heard a good headphone amp that didn't sound good as a preamp. How many devices are you thinking of?

I will be using both CD and LP, so at least two. My CD will be balanced, so balanced inputs for at least one source would be preferred. I have not yet experimented with balanced headphones, but from what I read here it makes quite a difference, especially with Senn 650s. I am a little leary of recabling my hard-wired JVCs or Audio Technica's, though.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grace Design M902 is a no brainer for this one.

But if you're looking to spend that kind of money, I wouldn't look past the M904.

Hi Kroolism;

It would be fun and useful to hear your impressions re- the Grace products. Solid state like? Neutrality? Dymanics?

TKS
vf

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 13
I am using a SP MPX3 Slam SE as a preamp. It is very good. Whatever you pick make sure your amp and preamp don't have too much gain. It also depends on your speaker efficiency. I have just been through that mill.

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinylfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be fun and useful to hear your impressions re- the Grace products. Solid state like? Neutrality? Dymanics?

I've got a Grace m902. It's probably the most neutral sounding piece of equipment I've ever owned, and it's dead quiet. The built-in DAC is every bit as good as a $2000+ external DAC I've got. A fantastic piece of equipment. However, it's pro audio gear, not consumer electronics gear. The user interface isn't for your average homeowner. (For example, the standard analog RCA inputs are labeled "unbal".) And the independent volume control for the headphone jacks and the line output takes some getting used to. Don't expect your significant other to be able to handle it without lots of instruction.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 13
I like the Stello DP200, Zana Deux and SP Maestro as pre amps....

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 13
Why are you asking about the B52 when your sig says you already have it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back