Best HD650 upgrade for ~$170?
Mar 25, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another alternative is to sell your HD 650s, and Gilmore Lite, and buy a set of Grado SR225s, and budget amplifier, and keep your Alien DAC. Then sit back, and enjoy the music, and not have to worry about expensive cable upgrades.

Haha but whats the fun in that?
Well then what kind of source should I look for then?
My computer has an optical out in the headphone jack, but I dont know if it is bit-perfect or anything like that (probably not). So you are saying an AlienDAC is not a "good" DAC relatively? Are there any "best-bang-for-your-buck" DACs that I should watch out for then? And I did pay 100 bucks for the Alien so according to your logic, I should buy the cable. I guess I dont really understand how important a DAC is. Sure I have a decent DAC and upgraded from my Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro and honestly its not like the change was night and day. Are there any "good" DIY DACs that aren't terribly hard to make?

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did pay 100 bucks for the Alien so according to your logic, I should buy the cable?

No, what I am saying is that spending 1.7 times the money as what your source costs on an upgraded cable for your headphones is insane. Upgrade the your DAC first then worry about cables last.

Quote:

I guess I dont really understand how important a DAC is.

That is correct.

Quote:

Well then what kind of source should I look for then?

You can buy an upgraded CD player, or a DAC that fits your needs. Do a search, or start a thread, because there will be tons of options. Keep in mind that this is not going to be cheap, and you will eventual want to upgrade your cables also.
Are you sure you want a pair HD 650s?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also upgraded my 650s w/Zu Mobius cable and as Ken states, it really "fixed" all the issues with the headphones. The clarity and definition is worth the investment.

Quote:

Buy a used ZU Mobius cable. The HD650 wakes up and almost makes me cry. The transformation is magical.

I think anyone reading this should be aware that people who take a scientific approach to this hobby disagree with statements like this. Before rushing out to buy the latest cable, as the above users want you to, please read the following articles:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1790/

http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/cable-mojo.pdf

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

I don't believe Ken's claim that a cable change "wakes up the HD650...the transformation is almost magical." Other people may choose to believe it. But please do read the above articles, so you can make an informed decision.

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Eeek! Yeah, I really want the Silver Dragon.
Will the Headphile silver at least tighten things up or improve imaging?
What differences could I possibly expect from that one? I am leaning towards that one the most since its not ridiculously overpriced like all the other ones, which means it probably isn't as good, but hopefully good "enough"

I'm a Silver Dragon V2 owner here.....and given your situation I would caution against cable upgrade. People hype them up a lot here. I found my dream system first before getting into a cable upgrade....which even with revealing sources, only changes the sound like 1%.

The HD650 does best with stellar source and amp: I haven't heard it on the uber expensive systems yet, but I don't think it gets much better once you get to components like that listed in my sig. I don't know enough about the Alien DAC to know if it's a revealing enough source or not. The Gilmore is very good, and I don't think you'll do much better unless you invest in a $1K amp. Though an expensive amp needs a more expensive source.....so you see how that's a never ending cycle
wink.gif

I'm going to suggest what others have suggested: with $200 it's maybe best to get another headphone to compliment the HD650. Grados make great compliments to the HD650: the SR325i in particular.

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 29
the alien dac is by no means a high end source, its a budget dac that works well if you need usb and are short on cash, or want a very small dac. I put mine in a case with a pimeta for a rig i can take on the road.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #21 of 29
So a new DAC is the best way to tighten up my 650s and improve instrumental separation/soundstage?

Damn thats kinda disappointing about the Alien, I thought it was a good enough DAC to make the 650s sing.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I still like my 650s more than the Grados (guess Im a basshead, plus im kinda sensitive to higher freqs), but I still LOVE how the SR225s sound, and it would be ideal to get something about 50-75% between Grado and Senn (closer to senn of course, I wouldnt be asking this if such was the case)

Alessandro headphones is what your looking for MS1/MS2 from what I've read there a more laid back Grado. Since you like your HD650's and there laid back sound yet there too laid back for you and your missing the Grado sound yet you want something more laid back than a Grado.

I don't believe you can change the HD650 overall sound signature by getting a cable upgrade.

edit: I am pretty sure Sennheiser isn't my sound either I am looking for while there good cans my rock is just kinda ehh though I've never tried a Grado I think that's what I am looking for probably going to pull the trigger when I find a good price on some SR-225's heh I also don't have proper amplification for my HD580's so who knows.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #23 of 29
maybe audition an HD595? it's pretty much a more upfront version of the HD650 to my ears, with slightly less bass and a bit less detail. it wouldn't go over your budget, and i imagine any upgrades you make to your HD650 will just make it a bit more refined, not more lively. haven't heard the Zu Mobius so i can't comment on that.

edit: also, if you like your Alien DAC, don't let other people pressure you to sell it. don't be hasty, if you seriously think a source upgrade is in order then try before you buy.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #24 of 29
Here's another vote for the zu mobius cable. To me this cable really helps shift the presentation forward for these cans which, again to me, is right were they need to be. Tighter bass and more upper midrange. The snare and cymbal in rock tracks start to sparkle like they should. Be aware that the change isn't most likely going to floor you. It's just a subtle nudge in the right direction that the 650's need.

I wouldn't get woodies if I were you. I had them for a while but hated them. For one they don't create much isolation. Most of the sound comes through the pads and housing and not just the open back. What's worse is that closing off the back really makes these headphones sound flat as hell. It's like stale soda to me. I noticed it a little for the first few hours then after a few albums I didnt' like what I was hearing at all and sold them to somebody else.

The zu cable is silightly out of you price range new but with a little patience you can find it used on the for sale forrum here for about 200 bucks U.S. I'd say it would be worth buying it used since you can turn around and sell it for about the same price minus shipping. You'd only take a loss of about 5 bucks. I'd say that'd be worth your while.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #25 of 29
Yeah, I guess what I am trying to do with my setup is just refine and improve the 650s. I do love the signature of them overall more than my Grados, I just wanna add some more detail/soundstage if possible.
As of now I think my DAC works pretty well and dont know if there is anything in my price range that will make a big difference with it.
So changing the cable from stock to silver isnt gonna make any sonic difference?
I am not looking for huge differences in sound here, which is why I want to keep it to one headphone. My logic behind the cable upgrade is that it will enable upgrades later down the road to shine more and possibly slightly improve them in thier current state. Am I wrong in assuming this then?

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

So a new DAC is the best way to tighten up my 650s and improve instrumental separation/soundstage?

Damn thats kinda disappointing about the Alien, I thought it was a good enough DAC to make the 650s sing.

Makasin, in my experience I found the AlienDAC to have a "rounded" and slightly sluggish sound that sounded a bit rolled off on top. If you do a search, you may be able to find my comparison of the AlienDAC w/ a Silverstone EB01 USB, in which I preferred the Silverstone's detail and energy.

I've since upgraded to an EMU 0404 USB, which has just blown me away over the past 3 weeks. I remember reading a thread about a guy who spent $4000 on amplifiers for the HD650, and ended up selling everything and just using the EMU 0404 USB's built-in headphone amp.

Not pressuring you sell your Alien or anything
smily_headphones1.gif
, just providing an opinion.

(of course, the sounds of various AlienDACs may vary according to components. mine was, according to n_maher, built with high quality components including all blackgates caps)

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's another vote for the zu mobius cable. To me this cable really helps shift the presentation forward for these cans which, again to me, is right were they need to be. Tighter bass and more upper midrange. The snare and cymbal in rock tracks start to sparkle like they should. Be aware that the change isn't most likely going to floor you. It's just a subtle nudge in the right direction that the 650's need.

I wouldn't get woodies if I were you. I had them for a while but hated them. For one they don't create much isolation. Most of the sound comes through the pads and housing and not just the open back. What's worse is that closing off the back really makes these headphones sound flat as hell. It's like stale soda to me. I noticed it a little for the first few hours then after a few albums I didnt' like what I was hearing at all and sold them to somebody else.

The zu cable is silightly out of you price range new but with a little patience you can find it used on the for sale forrum here for about 200 bucks U.S. I'd say it would be worth buying it used since you can turn around and sell it for about the same price minus shipping. You'd only take a loss of about 5 bucks. I'd say that'd be worth your while.

Yeah, I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I am just wondering if there are any cables that can do a similar job more in my price range?
I just want a subtle shift to the right to give a little bit more sparkle and separate the instruments more.

how much did that EMU cost you?

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Yeah, I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I am just wondering if there are any cables that can do a similar job more in my price range?
I just want a subtle shift to the right to give a little bit more sparkle and separate the instruments more.

how much did that EMU cost you?

I've read that the material the cables are made of have less an effect on the sound than the construction. The zu's have silver coated copper in a braided pattern that makes them sound different than just silver braided or braided. Again I've just read about that, i've only owned 2 after market cables for my 650's. And have no real knowlege of cable construction.

The zu cable is only around $200 used. Just save another 30 and like I said, you'll be able to resell it at the same price or trade it for another cable if you don't like it.

Ha, you can tell I have a bias towards the zu cable.
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back