Best HD650 System for $0-1300
Mar 19, 2007 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

NtD Gr3nade

Banned
I was recently reccomended the Monarchy M24 to a Gilmore Lite by another member. What else is out there for this price range that could beat this set up? Thanks.

edit:
System needs to be:
A new amp
A new source
And enough money left for decent interconnects

I don't think balanced is possible, cables will put me up to $1500, my limit is $1300 for my final upgrade. Right now I am considering:

Stello DA &HP 100 Combo

Monarch M24 With a Gimore Lite

Balanced HR if Tyll is willing to knock a couple 100 of the desktop amp.

I will also be selling my Micro once I have the money avalible to get me up to $1300, and my 595s are going soon to start the funds.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 59
I really like the GL. Very Good sounding amp. Will not be disappointed with it.
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 59
Gilmore Lite IIRC is a Dynalo.

A balanced dynamite might sound even better
smily_headphones1.gif

However, personally i would very much prefer either the setup i own (sig) or a HD650 paired with a balanced BETA22 or Balanced Diamond Buffers (i prefer the latter). I'll get a killer source with the money left.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 59
a

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 59
For desktop amps I have a millett and a M3 so far, i like the M3 more it has more power and these cans love every ounce of power you can throw at them.
im working on a dynamight, and i have a feeling its going to sound amazing.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 59
Heed Canamp is supposed to pair very well with the HD650.

That runs about 400 bucks. you can get that amp, some zu mobius or silver dragon cables and a good source
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 59
I too am interested in a HD-650 system for $0. I will be watching this thread closely.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 59
a

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you even read what i wrote? a source is a DA converter not an amplifier. if you notice i recommended that he buy the hD25, a tube amp. my own HD650 rig is topped by the Zana Deux, a Tube Amp. and i would have given him the recommendation of a singlepower if i didn't like the HD25 better thant he PPX 6sn7, but both are very good. and for the high end, no amp brand is better for the HD650 than Singlepower.

thanks The Monkey, you got it.

LMAO!

You are right! I guess I didn't read it very carefully.

When I got done posting that up I was looking at your sig thinking to my self, "I wonder why he has a Zana Deux with his 650's and he is saying that".

Just goes to show you need to read things twice sometimes
smily_headphones1.gif

My apologies
redface.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 59
I'd say it depends on what you want to do with the HD650:

Stello DA100/HP100: Counteract the HD650's dark highs with the zip and zing of the DA100 in filter A mode, or switch to filter B to play up the warmth of the Senns.

Meier Audio Opera: Approach the openness and impact of a balanced setup, and have crossfeed to better integrate the soundstage (a key flaw of the HD650/600/580 in my opinion)

Headroom Balanced Desktop: Play up the warmth of the 650's while taking advantage of the greater bass impact and larger soundstage offered by a true balanced setup.

Lavry DA10: If used with the 650's recabled and attached to the XLR output's you've also got a balanced rig, but perhaps a bit more neutral than the headroom, if not quite as open in the soundstage.

Benchmark DAC1: A similar effect to the Stellos, balancing out the treble, can also be used balanced like the Lavry for better soundstage and impact.

All would be pretty darned good rigs, and the decision would depend as much on size, looks, features, etc. as sound quality.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 59
Does your budget include or exclude the Senns? If includes and you've got your computer, the Lavry balance Senns is a good combo for that price.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does your budget include or exclude the Senns? If includes and you've got your computer, the Lavry balance Senns is a good combo for that price.

Got Senns, look at thread. I wouldn't have this thread if I didnt have the Senns, because I dont think I would intentionally get a heeadphone this picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back