Best HD portable based on sound quality?
May 13, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by scones
From my experience, it sounds like the Ipod has a truly anemic headphone output. A good amp may remedy this situation, but I do not intend to use one.

The headphone out of an iPod isn't anemic. It's just designed to sound best with portable headphones, not big home cans. I use my iPod with Sennheiser PX-100s unamped through the stock headphone jack and it sounds great. When I get home, I pop it on the dock on my stereo system and listen through my stereo's headphone jack using my Senn HD-590s. It sounds great that way too. You just need to match the cans with the iPod.

See ya
Steve

May 13, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Everyone has different tastes and interpret what they hear thru their ears differently

You can say that again. This seems to be especially true for HDD/DAP/MP3 (pick your favorite term) players. There is even one dissenting forum member (me) who thinks the NJB3 sounds horrible. I own one but never use it. I believe I posted a mini-review some time ago stating my reasons. I only tested it with MP3s (Lame .390.3 320kbps and --extreme mostly) and not WAVs. I think all current mp3 players sound bad, but some people like a certain flavour of 'bad' better than others. Hence the nearly random opinions on MP3 player SQ. Where there are 'real' differences in SQ I think you will find greater agreement. I am hoping M-Audio will eventually release something with decent SQ. And there is always the possibility that one of the 'real' portable player manufacturers like Sony or Philips or Toshiba will just happen to hire an audiophile in it's engineering dept. someday. That would be like the Portable Audio Revolution of '91. Maybe it will happen again in 2091.

May 13, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #34 of 39
I wonder why nobody talks about IAudio's mp3 plyers.
From the reveiws, IAudio has the best sound quality - HD besed or not. I own an IAudio U2 and it drives Grado RS-1 and Senn HD600 well. It supports mp3/wma/ogg/wav format and comes with FM radio/Voice recorder. The HD based version is M3. I haven't heard the Ipod so I can not compare the sound quality. But if you read the reviews
from ZDNet, there is no comparison.

Hope this helps

May 14, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoges.ravel
I wonder why nobody talks about IAudio's mp3 plyers.
From the reveiws, IAudio has the best sound quality - HD besed or not. I own an IAudio U2 and it drives Grado RS-1 and Senn HD600 well. It supports mp3/wma/ogg/wav format and comes with FM radio/Voice recorder. The HD based version is M3. I haven't heard the Ipod so I can not compare the sound quality. But if you read the reviews
from ZDNet, there is no comparison.

Hope this helps

yep, iAudio M3 -i have the M3L version- beats Sony HD3 -i have for above 3 weeks- and iPod.

The iRiver´s sound fantastic as well and RIO too...

In terms of sound quality the choose is easy to say... iAudio may be the best

May 15, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #36 of 39
edit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back